Big Cobia! Thanks Capt Dave!

My Wife and I had a charter with Capt. Dave Kostyo “Knot Nancy”. Dave’s great and I highly recommend.
We launched around 3 pm and within 30 minutes we were in about 160 ft of water with a choppy southwest wind. Hot wind too.
We put out a couple of herring on 20 lb spinning outfits and slow trolled to stay in the blue water.
After 15 minutes we we got a hit – turned out to be a 25 lb blackfin. He is sashimi now.

We continue to slow troll, 10 minutes later two rods go off, so double header for me and J.

Solid run – fish was steady and stayed near the surface, Dave thought it was bonito, then we see a the head of something lunge out of the water about 75 yards out.:hairraiser
It looked like a turtle, and we assumed that a big turtle either ate J's bait or fish. She fought what she thought was a turtle for about 25 minutes, while I finally saw my first cobia – about 20 lbs – come to the boat. :grin

Woohoo – I caught a cobia! And I proceeded to get slapped in the shins by the thing’s tail – nowhere to run on a 28 cc.

Meanwhile, J is still fighting what we assume is a turtle.
We backed down on it to get some line in. Dave estimated J had lost about 250 yards of line on this thing at one point.

I didn’t bother with the video, because I thought “sea turtle”… :huh

This thing came to the surface right off the transom… homina-homina-homina… Cobia!:willynilly

If you notice – the dorsal fin area of the fish was chewed-up… seems that a shark tried to take her while J was fighting it.

J’s cobia easily went over 60 lbs.

Anyone know a good cobia recipe? I have about 40 lbs of it in my fridge. :full

• FS BlairFS Blair Posts: 1,692 Admin
    Great trip. Hard to beat a trip on the "Knot Nancy" way to go Dave.

As for cobia recipes, just about anything you come up with works, that's my wife's favorite. Check out fish recipes in Kitchen if you want to get creative, but with cobia, the simpler the better. Nice catch.
  • CaptKeemauCaptKeemau Posts: 229 Deckhand
    Always wanted to know how to spell homina-homina-homina.
    Great job on the cobias'.
  • DanMontzDanMontz Posts: 75 Deckhand
    That's a stud Cobia!
  • Lucky7Team2Lucky7Team2 Posts: 6,794 Officer
    Nice fish!
  • IkaikaIkaika Posts: 20 Greenhorn
    CaptKeemau wrote: »
    Always wanted to know how to spell homina-homina-homina.
    Great job on the cobias'.

• copout@castawayscopout@castaways Posts: 5,779 Officer
    very nice!!!
  • IshIsh Posts: 797 Officer
    Real nice Cobia !
  • chiliandochiliando Posts: 609 Officer
    That is a beast!! Never caught one that big and the biggest I caught took it to me!
  • NaggoNaggo Posts: 17 Greenhorn
    nice cobe
  • GarboGarbo Posts: 1,256 Officer
    Nice Cobia,

Nice Pics.

Thanks for Sharing.

• seatrout55seatrout55 Posts: 27 Greenhorn
    thats a beast

good report :dance
  • snookyjsnookyj Posts: 1,687 Officer
    Nice job on the Cobe!!! Saw Dave out this morning getting ready to head out...
  • SkrimpBoySkrimpBoy Posts: 5 Greenhorn
    great fish man
  • yak_angleryak_angler Posts: 2,583 Officer
    Nice report and fish. I've fished with Dave a few times and would definitely recommend him.
  • testerman28testerman28 Posts: 1,329 Officer
    great job! after all a great day on the water puts 2 days back on your life.. eating good fish has to make you smile.. (google destin cobia recipes online..)
  • IkaikaIkaika Posts: 20 Greenhorn
    I made cobia Poke`

dice cobia filet season (or lightly soak) in sesame oil (1 tbl) and a few shakes of soy sauce.
    add diced onion or scallions
    place smear of guacamole on a tostada, then ad a tablespoon or two of the Poke` on top.
    Finish with a few drops of wasabe mustard or sriracha (rooster sauce).

I removed a frozen piece - sliced it into medallions.
    still frozen: seasoned with salt-pepper - & chili powder
    into a hot pan with oilive - seared each side for about 1 minute.

I think cobia is my favorite eating fish. Easy to work with.

tonight I have to make a batch for our friends.
    I'll do Poke`, sashimi,and maybe kebabs

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file