May 28 2012 Offshore Miami

Left the dock before 530am on Sunday. Caught good bait, sardines and blue runners, at Bug Light.

Went offshore about 15 miles and trolled and live baited a few weedlines and found nothing. Some of the best weeds I've seen in a long time and was surprised to find nothing.

Came back in and there were hundreds of large mats of weeds in about 315' and only found 10" dolphin underneath. found two schoolies later under a nice mat in about 250'.

set up several drifts in 200 and caught this large BFT. had a nice sail that came unglued after a 10 minute fight. lots of weeds; little action. surprisingly, few boats fishing.

***THE GUY IN MY AVATAR IS BLAIR WICKSTROM***

Replies

• reelgrimmreelgrimm Posts: 445 Officer
    looks real fishy out there!
  • alacrityalacrity Posts: 2,658 Captain
    reelgrimm wrote: »
    looks real fishy out there!

it did look fishy, but it wasnt.

• Lucky7Team2Lucky7Team2 Posts: 6,794 Officer
    Yup it was tough. Sunday saw all those mats of weeds and nada. Green water out of Haulover to 400ft or so. Nice BFT!
  • copout@castawayscopout@castaways Posts: 5,779 Officer
    nice feesh meng!
  • dpdashdpdash Posts: 5,347 Admiral
    Nice tuna! wash it off for the pic next time:grin
  • gdholbrookgdholbrook Posts: 480 Deckhand
    Funny, we couldn't get any live bait except the small runners Sunday morning but were able to find 3 different schools under all of those beautiful weed lines everywhere. Followed a frigate chasing flying fish that had some nice gaffer schoolies and a 15-20 lb fish and they wouldn't touch fresh bonita or a live pilchard.
  • Nat1976Nat1976 Posts: 497 Officer
    Wow, thats a big ol' blackfin. Some uninhabited islands in the background too
    Huh
  • miami muttonmiami mutton Posts: 1,082 Officer
    Nice catch, congrats.good eating fish.
    Nat1976 wrote: »
    Some uninhabited islands in the background too

We wish the Keys were uninhabited.
  • quickreleasequickrelease Posts: 287 Officer
    Wow, thats a big ol' blackfin. Some uninhabited islands in the background too

Whatever drugs you are on reduce it or replace with alcohol, drinking will probably make you a better a fisherman or at least make you seem like you are...it works for me
    Quickrelease_1298509_n.jpg
  • copout@castawayscopout@castaways Posts: 5,779 Officer
    maybe he means the barrier islands?
    thats elliott and sands in the background, not the keys. i have a spot to where the tunas migrate at about 3pm each spring day ...

• ultraplayer26ultraplayer26 Posts: 814 Officer
    nice fish:full
    Whatever drugs you are on reduce it or replace with alcohol, drinking will probably make you a better a fisherman or at least make you seem like you are...it works for me

What ever man. Just so you all know, I assumed those islands were elliott, sands, and boca chica. Mangroved lined, hardwood hamock interior, largely uninhabited, with the exception of a ranger station and some campers. From the east of the islands looking back on them, they might look completely uninhabited, of coarse with the exception of a light house sticking out on boca chica. I'm also pretty sure islandia, what those grouping of keys are called, is considered part of the Fl.Keys chain.
    Anyhow, as for drugs and alcohol, haven't tuched them in over five years, and because of that I actualy give a sheet about things like family, integrity, paying bills, and fishing once again. I caution against trading drugs for alcohol. If you had isues with drugs you're bond to find the same eventualy with alcohol, alcohol is a drug, ethanol.
    As for becoming a better fisher man or just looking the part, it's sadly money I lack. That's all. If I had a bigger better boat, more time on the water, I'd be there, in the cool guy club. But really I'm not there yet, I got to work harder, pay my dues, and be greatful for what I got :wink
    I was being sarcastic... but keep on doing what your doing sounds like your working towards it dude
    I was being sarcastic... but keep on doing what your doing sounds like your working towards it dude

Thanks! I being mostly sarcastic too. Not always easy to convey sarcasm in a post, my bad
    Thanks! I being mostly sarcastic too. Not always easy to convey sarcasm in a post, my bad

QuickRelease was given that name by his GF, leave him aione he has issues..Bwhahahaha
  • The Cat's EyeThe Cat's Eye Posts: 1,105 Officer
    Just for the record, the northern most key of the Fla Keys is Soldier Key but it is not considered a true Florida key since it is not made of ancient exposed coral. The northern most "True Fla Key" is Elliott Key.

Upper keys

Transitional keys
    Soldier Key
    Ragged Keys
    Boca Chica Key
    Sands Key

True Florida keys, exposed ancient coral reefs
    Elliott Key
    Adams Key
    Reid Key
    Rubicon Keys
    Totten Key
    Old Rhodes Key
    Giimoozaabi
  • lowe-boylowe-boy Posts: 1,195 Officer
    alacrity wrote: »
    thats elliott and sands in the background, not the keys. i have a spot to where the tunas migrate at about 3pm each spring day ...

Sounds great my friend. Do you mind sharing that great spot with me or giving me the approx vicinity of the 3pm spring Siesta?

Maybe we can fish together mid week. Are you available as my Tuna Consultant?
    The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.
    lowe-boy wrote: »
    Sounds great my friend. Do you mind sharing that great spot with me or giving me the approx vicinity of the 3pm spring Siesta?

Maybe we can fish together mid week. Are you available as my Tuna Consultant?

did you mean approx "location"?

Just for the record, the northern most key of the Fla Keys is Soldier Key but it is not considered a true Florida key since it is not made of ancient exposed coral. The northern most "True Fla Key" is Elliott Key.

Upper keys

Transitional keys
    Soldier Key
    Ragged Keys
    Boca Chica Key
    Sands Key

True Florida keys, exposed ancient coral reefs
    Elliott Key
    Adams Key
    Reid Key
    Rubicon Keys
    Totten Key
    Old Rhodes Key
    It's all very interesting. The Florida Keys are categorized based on their geology, thats where the upper, middle, and lower names come from, changes in geology, create the divide. Soldier thru Sands are considered transitional because they are sedimentary in nature, but not really, and just walking around one you'll see what lies beneath the sandy stuff, fosilized coral reef, just like Elliot. I'm trying to think if there's hardwood hammock north of Elliot, hammock seems to be a big definer of how significant a key is. One site I found also had Key Biscayne listed as a FL Key.
    I got to do somthing better with these days off from rain...
  • lowe-boylowe-boy Posts: 1,195 Officer
    alacrity wrote: »
    did you mean approx "location"?

No, I used "Vicinity" as "location" was too direct and straight forward.

Kinda like when you wanna kiss a girl but you dont go straight for the lips but rather than the edge and some chin/cheek.
    The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.
    QuickRelease was given that name by his GF, leave him aione he has issues..Bwhahahaha

I got mine she better get hers!
  • DarcizzleDarcizzle Posts: 94 Deckhand
    Nice Blackfin!! I have been dying to get my hands on some fresh tuna! YUM :thumbsup
    ~Darcie Lynne

"No Guts, No Glory."

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file