Monster Peacocks

kahmadkahmad Posts: 235 Officer
My buddy Jim and I finally got a nice long break from med school and decided to check out the peacock bite around here while we can...

Got to the water around noon, the fish were thick around our launch area. Tons of mayans, largemouths and peacocks just sitting around, occasionally busting up some bait. Threw in a couple of casts before launching the boat and I pulled out a small largemouth, about 1 pound. As I'm getting the hook out Jim is casting at a pipe. All I hear is "OH MY GOD!" and I turn to see a solid mass of bright orange and green take off about 3 feet out of the water. We're both screaming in joy as he reels it in. Freaking thing was so big it was impossible to lip with one hand, and it was solid muscle. Got some nice pics, released the beauty, and threw a couple more casts to fish that were no longer responding before launching the boat.

As soon as we get in and start casting, we bump into a school of about 20 2-3 lb peacock. They're crushing the bait and they chase our flies like their lives depended on them but we can't manage a bite out of this school. We move on to a drain pipe that held a few big boys last time I visited this lake. I spot a few properly large peacocks, with blue dorsal fins and huge mouths, probably 7-10 lb fish. They looked like little grouper, with those massive pancake sized pectoral fins. They follow a few flies, but aren't fooled. I managed to hook up to a nice 1.5 lb peacock that I was excited about, and another couple largemouth. Every fish we caught was hefty in the tummy with solid lean mass, even the smaller ones. By the time 2:30 rolls around the sun is killing us, the bite has almost turned off and our best flies have lost eyes and are ready to be framed. I lose 2 nice peacock to a bad leader :banghead right at the end before we call it a day.

Nice to know there are still some proper monsters around here.

The fly

the fish

Replies

• sparse greysparse grey Posts: 1,745 Captain
    Way cool. Thanks for sharing.
    Ron Conner Release the fish, keep the memories. Once a Knight is enough.
  • LostFLAboyLostFLAboy Posts: 29 Greenhorn
    Sweet!
  • ShadowcastShadowcast Posts: 1,009 Officer
    Pretty fish!
    Capt. Jon Bull
    Shadowcast Charters
    Ankona Boats Sales Rep
    2018 Tavernier 17.....Coming Soon!!
    www.shadowcastcharters.com
  • ultramanultraman Posts: 39 Deckhand
    Very Nice!!!
  • levosgienlevosgien Posts: 164 Officer
    way to go, that's a huge peacock
  • Carl BlackledgeCarl Blackledge Posts: 674 Officer
    Not exactly what I would call a monster Peacock bass
  • kahmadkahmad Posts: 235 Officer
    Huh? Being from california, you may be confused. Here in florida we only have one species of peacock, Cichla ocellaris, which doesn't get much bigger than 25 inches.
    That fish was the biggest I've ever seen in my 3 years chasing them around the miami area, and was for free, on a homemade fly, fishing in what's pretty much my backyard. Not bad considering people shell out thousands of dollars to catch pretty much the same thing in south america.

Anyways I guarantee it was bigger than any peacock you'll find in california :wink

thanks for all the comments!
  • Capt George GozdzCapt George Gozdz Posts: 630 Officer
    Great report!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Capt. George Gozdz
    Host "Reel Time with Florida Sportsman"
    www.floridasportsman.com/rtfs

Flatlined Charters
    www.flatlinedcharters.com
  • Carl BlackledgeCarl Blackledge Posts: 674 Officer
    kahmad wrote: »
    Huh? Being from california, you may be confused. Here in florida we only have one species of peacock, Cichla ocellaris, which doesn't get much bigger than 25 inches.
    That fish was the biggest I've ever seen in my 3 years chasing them around the miami area, and was for free, on a homemade fly, fishing in what's pretty much my backyard. Not bad considering people shell out thousands of dollars to catch pretty much the same thing in south america.

Anyways I guarantee it was bigger than any peacock you'll find in california :wink

thanks for all the comments!

I don't think I mentioned California.
  • GarboGarbo Posts: 1,256 Officer
    very nice.
  • Homer47Homer47 Posts: 11 Greenhorn
    Nice fish! I went to visit my brother in the late 80's. not long after they first started stocking peacocks. He lived on Westwood Lakes and it was full of them, although they were mostly smallish. Had a blast with them on a #6 fly outfit, using small popping bugs. Went back again right after Andrew to work with a construction company, and took advantage of the opportunity to find more places to fish for peacocks. Got a street map of Miami and started checking out all the canals in the SW section. A lot of them were empty, but I found a few hot spots that always seemed to produce fish when I would head ther after work. Caught a lot of other types of fish as well, besides the usual bream and largemouth. Got some oscars, some pacu(looks like a bluegill on steroids0 and a few other fish I could not identify. Right at my brothers boat ramp, there was a peacock on a spawning bed that I teased into biting one day. It wasn't hungry, but it would grab the fly and spit it away from the nest so fast that it was hard to react in time. I did this a few times and finally hooked her by setting the hook as soon as I saw her open her mouth to grab the fly. She gave a pretty good fight and I released her after a few minutes. She was a little disturbed and didn't go back to her bed, but hid in the grass for a little while. While she was gone from the nest, the bream moved in and started eating her eggs. I felt terrible about that and was relieved when she finally went back to guarding her bed. I don't think I will do that again, even if the fish is as big as she was.
  • FreeFlyFreeFreeFlyFree Posts: 121 Officer
    If you find a pair in a bed, you can just catch one, and the other won't even move. then release them back again. I'm glad not so many people actually targets them. at least on private ponds.

you know what they say...tresspass for peacock bass
  • LeeHLeeH Posts: 121 Officer
    Not exactly what I would call a monster Peacock bass

No they are not the 20lb+ fish that can be caught in Brazil or even Panama but they are Very Nice Sized Peacocks for South Florida, Congrats Kahmad Nice catch!
  • native1native1 Posts: 29 Greenhorn
    huge peacock dude good to see the big peas still around. They are a blast on fly
  • tarpon41tarpon41 Posts: 183 Deckhand
    To me they are monsters of dade county...why anybody would risk malaria, yellow fever, serious dengue, amoeba dysentery...and just the sh..ts without the benefit of ones gastroentre and colos...to catchon the fly a big cro magnon bass not to mention 5 to 7 large in cost is the essence of Veblen when a walk on the wide side of dade county gets you 10
  • wellcraftwellcraft Posts: 1,333 Officer
    Nice peacocks

How big was the big one?
    paypallogo.png
    Vertical jigs, Trolling lures, and more! Click the logo!

All V-Series High Speed Wahoo Lures
    http://victorylures.com/trolling-lures/v-series.html

Face Book Page for Victory Lures
    http://www.facebook.com/VictoryLures

Visit My Blog
    www.averticalthought.com
  • kahmadkahmad Posts: 235 Officer
    Hard to say didn't have a scale. I would say between 5 and 7 pounds is A reasonable estimate.
  • wellcraftwellcraft Posts: 1,333 Officer
    Real nice on fly
    paypallogo.png
    Vertical jigs, Trolling lures, and more! Click the logo!

All V-Series High Speed Wahoo Lures
    http://victorylures.com/trolling-lures/v-series.html

Face Book Page for Victory Lures
    http://www.facebook.com/VictoryLures

Visit My Blog
    www.averticalthought.com
  • SUPER DSUPER D Posts: 636 Officer
    Looks like fun, will have to try them some time. :thumbsup
  • VindawgVindawg Posts: 801 Officer
    Nice...Wish we had some up this far, haven't been down that way to catch one yet.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file