AC help

WaVeCrAzEdWaVeCrAzEd Posts: 559 Officer
Ok, running a Florida Heat pump AC in the house. It is a Geo-thermal open loop water cooled. I need to to find a 24 volt source inside the unit to hook up a valve and solenoid to feed the sprinklers when it turns on. It will close the sprinklers when off with thermostat as pressure switch works to turn off well. Could I hook into the capcitor? I am using the well for water to the house too. Simple right. Thanks in advance.

Replies

  • PolarPolar Lake WorthPosts: 22,261 AG
    I wouldnt hook it up to your capacitor unless your sprinklers are rated for 440 volts :). Hook it up to the compressor contactor, the coil, not the line or load voltage. It will close when its cooling, and open when its not.
  • MenziesMenzies Posts: 19,289 Officer
    Polar wrote: »
    I wouldnt hook it up to your capacitor unless your sprinklers are rated for 440 volts :). Hook it up to the compressor contactor, the coil, not the line or load voltage. It will close when its cooling, and open when its not.

    Thread killer!! :)
    Maybe if we tell people that the brain is an App, they will start using it.
  • WaVeCrAzEdWaVeCrAzEd Posts: 559 Officer
    Thanks.
  • MenziesMenzies Posts: 19,289 Officer
    You're welcome.:thumbsup
    Maybe if we tell people that the brain is an App, they will start using it.
  • PolarPolar Lake WorthPosts: 22,261 AG
    you are welcome
  • AC ManAC Man Posts: 3,362 Captain
    One thing that I see wrong quite often is the lack of water running thru the machine due to restrictive sprinklers. There is a designed amount of water that the machine needs. Too much or too little is not good. I hope you have had a tech check the pressures or gpm of water to see if it is correct. You need roughly 1.5 GPM per ton. If the wires to the contactor coil are hard to access, you can also pick up Y and C in the low voltage control panel.
  • gandrfabgandrfab Posts: 19,975 AG
    I don't have any clue what he just said.
    :BUNNY gestapo

  • PolarPolar Lake WorthPosts: 22,261 AG
    c=common from the transformer, y= cooling wire from the thermostat. he also said you need roughly 1.5 gpm per ton (one ton of air equates to 12,000 btus) which is how they calculated size back in the old days, how many tons of ice would it take to melt in 24 hours to cool a space.
  • WaVeCrAzEdWaVeCrAzEd Posts: 559 Officer
    Cool thanks for esplanin the yc. much easier access. I checked I'm sure I'm getting 5 gallons a minute.
  • AC ManAC Man Posts: 3,362 Captain
    WaVeCrAzEd wrote: »
    Cool thanks for esplanin the yc. much easier access. I checked I'm sure I'm getting 5 gallons a minute.

    Well, if you are flowing the discharge water thru a pipe into a pond for instance, you can simply fill a five gallon bucket and do the math with a stop watch. 1.5 gpm per ton. If you are running it thru sprinklers, you would need to do a pressure test with refrigerant gauges to determine if you are OK. Just changed out a FHP 5 ton today. As usual, we converted it to a air cooled heat pump. Don't get me wrong, water cooled units are fantastic if you don't have water/pump issues which we do in our area. Where they really shine is on a recirculating cooling tower in highrise condo's etc.
  • PP1PP1 Posts: 332 Deckhand
    AC Man wrote: »
    One thing that I see wrong quite often is the lack of water running thru the machine due to restrictive sprinklers. There is a designed amount of water that the machine needs. Too much or too little is not good. I hope you have had a tech check the pressures or gpm of water to see if it is correct. You need roughly 1.5 GPM per ton. If the wires to the contactor coil are hard to access, you can also pick up Y and C in the low voltage control panel.

    Good info.

    Question, I understand why too little water would be bad, but don't understand why too much would be bad?
    "If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
  • PolarPolar Lake WorthPosts: 22,261 AG
    too much water ripping through the condenser coil doesnt allow the unit to build up the proper pressures to go through the evaporator, not sure how old his FHP is, but have experienced this on older 3 or 4 cap tube type systems.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file