What can we do to make Spotted Seatrout a gamefish in Florida ?

nolesnum01nolesnum01 Posts: 84 Deckhand
We need to ban commercial sales/harvest on this species, so recreational fisherman can continue to catch quality fish and future generations will be able to also.
Several States have this law in place.
Let's make it happen in Florida.
A good article is posted under conservation front to BAN TROUT SALES by Karl Wickstrom.
Unfortunately , he doesn't have any info on who to contact etc.
What can we do to make this a law ?

Replies

• ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 8,190 Admiral
    Yes and we need to make them and redfish catch and release only.
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
  • CyclistCyclist Posts: 21,644 AG
    ANUMBER1 wrote: »

Really????????????
    133cbf2b243368b1ddb2f591a1988076--beach-posters-florida-travel.jpg
    Cyclist wrote: »
    Really????????????
    They are just to valuable to only be caught once!

Don't you agree?
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
  • Capt EasyCapt Easy Posts: 203 Officer
    Really????????????

Yea Really. If it's to valuable for food it should be catch and release.
    Don't agree. Eat the trout and reds!
  • FS Karl SnapperFS Karl Snapper Posts: 285 Officer
    As long as the trout population is sustainable at an abundant level, I see no problem with eating a few. That is be the best use of the fish for the most benefits of the public.

If you require catch and release only, the crazies will ask why do you torture the animals if you're not at least going to eat them?
    The strict limits we have are adequate. At the same time, the commercial season on trout should be eliminated because of the higher value of direct use by the public, on a strictly equal basis.

The FWC is the body to grant gamefish status and the push to do so should be rolling now. Unfortunately, the FWC chair Kathy Barco has fallen for the line that the seafood market needs the trout to sell. Her eventual successor and other commissioners will likely understand the benefits of non-commercial personal-use fishing, as with snook, redfish, sailfish, striped bass, bass, deer, ducks, elk and dozens of other species of wildlife.
  • CaptBobBryantCaptBobBryant Posts: 5,716 Officer
    As long as the trout population is sustainable at an abundant level, I see no problem with eating a few. That is be the best use of the fish for the most benefits of the public.

If you require catch and release only, the crazies will ask why do you torture the animals if you're not at least going to eat them?
    The strict limits we have are adequate. At the same time, the commercial season on trout should be eliminated because of the higher value of direct use by the public, on a strictly equal basis.

The FWC is the body to grant gamefish status and the push to do so should be rolling now. Unfortunately, the FWC chair Kathy Barco has fallen for the line that the seafood market needs the trout to sell. Her eventual successor and other commissioners will likely understand the benefits of non-commercial personal-use fishing, as with snook, redfish, sailfish, striped bass, bass, deer, ducks, elk and dozens of other species of wildlife.

Karl the same could be said for so many species that should be limited due to their biology.....
    National Association of Recreational Anglers - Add Your Voice
    https://www.facebook.com/RecAnglers?notif_t=page_new_likes
    They should up the limit on trout to 25 or 30 and lower the limit to 12 inches. Every one knows there are millions of trout out there. 49 out of every 50 trout are 12 inches.

As far as reds go, I see schools of 100s all the time. The slot limit should go. They are like rats of the sea. I see so many.

I see more and more trout and reds every time I go fishing. No way their numbers could be low enough to support the regs.

:wink
    They should up the limit on trout to 25 or 30 and lower the limit to 12 inches. Every one knows there are millions of trout out there. 49 out of every 50 trout are 12 inches.

As far as reds go, I see schools of 100s all the time. The slot limit should go. They are like rats of the sea. I see so many.

I see more and more trout and reds every time I go fishing. No way their numbers could be low enough to support the regs.

:wink
    ahhh, grasshopper you have seen the light....:wink
    ahhh, grasshopper you have seen the light....:wink

:grin

I am good with the current regs.

Trout ceviche is awesome and so is grilled redfish!
  • tagtag Posts: 8,668 Admiral

That's one of the dumbest things I've read on this forum and it wasn't even cyclist who said it. Who'd of thought.
  • sharkatak1089sharkatak1089 Posts: 6,407 Officer
    tag wrote: »
    That's one of the dumbest things I've read on this forum and it wasn't even cyclist who said it. Who'd of thought.
    x234567890
    I am choice.
    Please don't try to interject with reason, it only further confuses the matter.
  • gill nettergill netter Posts: 234 Officer
    Ban fishing altogether! Ban breathing! Ban eating! Ban computers! Sheesh! Get a grip! When will this crap stop?
  • TriplecleanTripleclean Posts: 6,591 Officer
    I don't see where calling a sea trout a game fish does the game fish justice. Correctly or Incorrectly when I think game fish, I think of a fish that is sporting but with no table fare or too sporting to be used as table fare. When I catch sea trout, I think darn it's one of these stupid misnamed drums with those worms in it. Let's stick to real game fish like snook and poons. Heck if you have a 4-5 pound sea trout it is a big one, I don't see game fish potential there.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
  • Gary S. ColecchioGary S. Colecchio Posts: 24,922 Officer
    Ban fishing altogether! Ban breathing! Ban eating! Ban computers! Sheesh! Get a grip! When will this crap stop?

Move to North Carolina.
    "If I can't win, I won't play." - Doris Colecchio.

"Well Gary, the easiest way to look tall is to stand in a room full of short people." - Curtis Bostick

"All these forums, with barely any activity, are like a neglected old cemetery that no one visits anymore."- anonymouse
  • gill nettergill netter Posts: 234 Officer
    No. I like it here fine. We just got a longer season, and a larger catch allowance. Game fish status?? Thats like calling the bully that just socked you in the jaw a ****. Yall want another wallop? We are winning.............
  • Gary S. ColecchioGary S. Colecchio Posts: 24,922 Officer
    Too easy.
    "If I can't win, I won't play." - Doris Colecchio.

"Well Gary, the easiest way to look tall is to stand in a room full of short people." - Curtis Bostick

"All these forums, with barely any activity, are like a neglected old cemetery that no one visits anymore."- anonymouse
  • Sam HSam H Posts: 279 Officer
    I don't see where calling a sea trout a game fish does the game fish justice. Correctly or Incorrectly when I think game fish, I think of a fish that is sporting but with no table fare or too sporting to be used as table fare. When I catch sea trout, I think darn it's one of these stupid misnamed drums with those worms in it. Let's stick to real game fish like snook and poons. Heck if you have a 4-5 pound sea trout it is a big one, I don't see game fish potential there.

Designating seatrout a gamefish is not about sporting qualities, it's about giving it a specific status so that it can't be commercially fished. Recreational seatrout fishing is too valuable to the Florida economy to be left to commercial fishermen to make a couple bucks.
  • TarponatorTarponator Under a BridgePosts: 8,401 Admiral
    What is the size of the commercial seatrout fishery? How many lbs do they take every year out of Florida waters? Just curious....Mike
  • StradlatterStradlatter Posts: 46 Deckhand
    Trout should have been made gamefish years ago, along with permit, redfish and snook.
    Tarponator wrote: »
    What is the size of the commercial seatrout fishery? How many lbs do they take every year out of Florida waters? Just curious....Mike
    Current rec landings are around 2.6 million lbs with commercials landings at 30k or less(2% of the recreational take).
  • Capt.AWCapt.AW Posts: 924 Officer
    Current rec landings are around 2.6 million lbs with commercials landings at 30k or less(2% of the recreational take).

That's a tough pill to swallow...A customer of mine averaged 400lbs a week during last years season. By your estimate he is responsible for @15% of the whole commercial take in the state.
    That's a tough pill to swallow...A customer of mine averaged 400lbs a week during last years season. By your estimate he is responsible for @15% of the whole commercial take in the state.
    Info is from FWRI and compiled from trip ticket records, not my estimate. Look it up, don't take my word for it. That was 2009 info. 2011 has the commercial harvest at 2.2%.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file