Some Photos for Critique

MenziesMenzies Posts: 19,289 AG
Everytime I collect a photo that I like I store in an a "Portfolio" folder. There is no rhyme or reason why I like a particular photo, just certain ones out of the thousands strike me for some reason.

Putting these up for constructive critique. Do I consistently do something that takes away from the pic, or could I consistently be doing something to make some of these better? I tend to be a straight-on shooter, could I use angles more, or shoot from below more?

Passage At Anchor

PassageAtAnchor.jpg

Thames From Waterloo Bridge

Thames.jpg

Aquarium

SchoolofFish.jpg

Rainbow Bridge

RainbowBridge.jpg

Hairy Woodpecker

HairyWoodpecker.jpg

Gator Eye

GatorEye.jpg

Conch House Pelicans

ConchHousePelicans.jpg

Caps.

Caps.jpg

Antelope Canyon.

AntelopeCanyon.jpg?t=1335227867

And my favorite - Claire. She was miles away, but looking at the camera, gives an interesting look. The bus and trees outside are real - the plastic rain sheets give them a canvas look.

ClaireSavannah.jpg
Maybe if we tell people that the brain is an App, they will start using it.

Replies

• FlashFlash Posts: 11,031 AG
    Rainbow Bridge and Gator eyes are my favs......and of course, Claire is a given.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Never seem more learned than the people you are with. Wear your learning like a pocket watch and keep it hidden. Do not pull it out to count the hours, but give the time when you are asked. --- Lord Chesterfield
  • MenziesMenzies Posts: 19,289 AG
    After I posted Claire, I thought she was too bright and the left side of her face was washed out. So played a little bit with brightness and contrast.

ClaireDarker.jpg
  • Anclote KeyAnclote Key Posts: 2,354 Officer
    I think they are all pretty great shots! I like you grasp of using colors. I think trying differnt angles, like you mentioned, could open up some more interesting perspectives for your images.
    The two best times to fish is when it’s rainin’ and when it ain’t. –Patrick F. McManus
  • Cane PoleCane Pole Stuart, FLAPosts: 9,607 Admiral
    1, 2 and 8 have slightly crooked horizons. A huge pet peeve of mine. Easy to fix in photoshop, probably only off 1 degree, or even a fraction...
    Live music 7 nights a week: http://www.terrafermata.com/_events
  • PullinlipPullinlip Posts: 576 Officer
    Image #1- The boat needs to be down and shifted to the left a little. The overall image seems overexposed a tad. Darken it a little. As CP said, the horizon is crooked.

Image #2- Horizon is crooked, the image could probably be darkened a little also. IMO- the scene is just too "busy" but not too much you can do about that.

Image #3- Probably my favorate of the lot. I like the composition. Still maybe a tad overexposed.

Image #4- Good shot, overexposed a little. The shot could have been better with a little lower camera angle.

Image #5- My least favorite. Bird blends in too much with the scene. Cropping in on the bird some might make it a little better though.

Image #6- Overexposed, and looks magenta on my screen. Darken it, recrop and place the gators eyeballs lower and to the left, and it will be much better.

Image #7- I like it as is, but you could try shifting the pelicans to the left and see how it looks.

Image #8- You are a little too close to one of my fishing spots. (this I do not like) but the image is nice. Next time, ask mother nature to put some clouds in the sky.

Image #9- Love it, seen other images like it, and makes me want to go.

Image #10- Good shot, you used fill flash, which is good, but it wasn't enough to get rid of the shadow falling across her forhead, and that is a little distracting. I do like the watercolor effect that the plastic has on the background.

Please keep in mind that all comments are ment to be constructive, and I think you do have some good shots here.
    A village in Ireland has lost their idiot.
  • TheRealMcCoyTheRealMcCoy Posts: 50 Deckhand
    Nice pic's Menzies
    Hook 'em Horns! \m/
  • MenziesMenzies Posts: 19,289 AG
    Thanks for the comments. All pretty good. I'll have to watch my horizon, though not sure about the Thames, since the far bank is moving away from me.

BTW, re-look at the Rainbow Bridge shot. Lower left, just by the first tree in. You will see my son and daughter. And they are still about 1/4 mile away from the bridge - for perspective on size of the thing!!
  • FinsatiableFinsatiable Posts: 23 Greenhorn
    2, 3, 4, 8 & 9 are excellent

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file