Minn Kota Trolling Motor PROBS-Help

My Minn Kota is 8 yrs old and having problems getting up to top speed. Its slow to start the revolutions most of the time and on occasion will get up to full speed. Any suggestions on what the problem might be --whether its the little black box in the handle part or down in the lower unit. Should I take it in to let Sam and let him look at it or trash it or what. All right fellows lets hear some knowledgeable opinions on how to fix. This is pissing me off :banghead

Also does anyone have a good trolling motor ( EXTRA) laying around that they would sell at a decent price??

Replies

• LineDriveLineDrive Posts: 136 Officer
    By no means an expert on trolling motors, but the one time my Minn-Kota acted up, i took the prop off and had to remove some fishing line. Hasn't had a problem since and it gets a workout every time I head out. Good luck.
  • snake birdsnake bird Posts: 1,023 Officer
    rapid tool repair in gainesville are good peeps
  • RedbonzRedbonz Posts: 4,509 Captain
    Call me Bro and I'll give you a phone number...
    If it don't fit force it. If it breaks it needed replace anyways. :banghead
  • Fishin RodFishin Rod Posts: 2,620 Officer
    LineDrive wrote: »
    By no means an expert on trolling motors, but the one time my Minn-Kota acted up, i took the prop off and had to remove some fishing line. Hasn't had a problem since and it gets a workout every time I head out. Good luck.

Good advice, check that first.... While you have the prop off squirt the shaft bearing with PB blaster or liquid wrench and run it for a few seconds. Let that stuff soak in good.
    "Be what you is"....... Isaiah Minter
  • gitthenetgitthenet Posts: 252 Deckhand
    I recently replaced the switch that the handle turns. Mine was erratic and you never knew what speed you were going to get. Solved that problem.
  • G8trbaitG8trbait Posts: 126 Officer
    snake bird wrote: »
    rapid tool repair in gainesville are good peeps

x2! Troy is a great guy. I WISH I would have taken my trolling motor to him first BEFORE I made the problem worse.......:banghead
  • PONCEPONCE Posts: 5,943 Officer
    gitthenet wrote: »
    I recently replaced the switch that the handle turns. Mine was erratic and you never knew what speed you were going to get. Solved that problem.

Thanks everyone for some good advice-Thank Rodney--Thats exactly what mine is doing!!
  • troutman57troutman57 Posts: 3,691 Officer
    8 yrs old. id try the clean - lube thing and go over aqll the wiring and connectors. often corrosion will form at a connector and reduce continuity. Soaking the connectors and bare wire ends in white vinegar will remove the corrosion. We assume the batterys are good Kevin?
    This place Rocks if yer a crabber
    troutman57 wrote: »
    8 yrs old. id try the clean - lube thing and go over aqll the wiring and connectors. often corrosion will form at a connector and reduce continuity. Soaking the connectors and bare wire ends in white vinegar will remove the corrosion. We assume the batterys are good Kevin?

Thanks Kyle--the batteries are fairly new----I`ll figure it out--I sure need to
  • CatfishCatfish Posts: 527 Officer
    Its something to do with the connections in the handle I think. When it works it works great. The battery is new and trolling motor is hardwired straight to it.

We had the handle apart not long ago. No loose connections, nothing corroded. There's got to be some part thats just wore out. I just don't know enough about it to guess which one.
  • RedbonzRedbonz Posts: 4,509 Captain
    Catfish wrote: »
    Its something to do with the connections in the handle I think. When it works it works great. The battery is new and trolling motor is hardwired straight to it.

We had the handle apart not long ago. No loose connections, nothing corroded. There's got to be some part thats just wore out. I just don't know enough about it to guess which one.

Me thinks your fishing partner is the one with wore out parts...
    If it don't fit force it. If it breaks it needed replace anyways. :banghead
  • Fishin RodFishin Rod Posts: 2,620 Officer
    Redbonz wrote: »
    Me thinks your fishing partner is the one with wore out parts...

DING DING DING DING DING, We have a winner!
    "Be what you is"....... Isaiah Minter
    All I got to say---is who`s older boys anim_35.gif
  • barnacle bobbarnacle bob Posts: 38 Greenhorn
    I have a RT40 that is 12 years old only problem i ever had has been the switch twice replaced it and off and running
    No good deed goes unpunished.
  • BWoodsBWoods Posts: 50 Deckhand
    If you cant figure it out, take it to troy at Rapid repair center in Gville.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file