Fouling

Anclote KeyAnclote Key Posts: 2,354 Officer
Hey guys,

I keep my aluminium hull boat in the water up near Tampa. I have antifouling bottom paint, but bottom growth still occurs. I want to drive the boat out to the sandbar and clean the hull. Not too many barnacles but lots of the slimy green growth. I don't have a trailer to take it out of the water. What is the best thing to use to clean off the fouling? Maybe a deck cleaning brush?
The two best times to fish is when it’s rainin’ and when it ain’t. –Patrick F. McManus

Replies

• SCFD rtrd.SCFD rtrd. Posts: 1,369 Officer
    If you have the proper bottom paint, then most any brush will work. Is the bottom paint designed for aluminium and for Florida waters?
  • ruskinredneckruskinredneck Posts: 1,121 Officer
    I have heard that you should not use a bottom paint on aluminum boats. I am, by no means, an expert but something about the copper/aluminum interaction. Galvanic corrosion? That being said, I clean my jon boat with a Scotch-brite pad.
  • Anclote KeyAnclote Key Posts: 2,354 Officer
    If you use the wrong bottom paint it can be disasterous on aluminium hulls because of the interaction between the copper and aluminium. The hull becomes the anode...not good. I used aluminium safe anti-fouling paint (Trilux 33) with two base coats of primer so I'm safe.
    The two best times to fish is when it’s rainin’ and when it ain’t. –Patrick F. McManus

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file