Have gotten back into the forum lately and really enjoyed all the reports,but have felt a little guilty for not contributing my share.:hail Soooo....A few tales, starting with today. After finishing my taxes @ 11:30 last night:grin, I decided to go out for some a couple hours topwater this morning. Left the dock @ first light and was fishing just before sunrise. Worked my way around a big bar and getting near the end a huge snook smashed my Skitterwalk. It was one of those fish that is in charge. I was scrambling, trying to move the boat away from the bar and rocks while keeping maximum pressure on the fish. He was all over, under the boat, behind it, a couple jumps and finally I started winning. Luckily, I was using my topwater rod with 20# braid & 30# leader and drag TIGHT. I always thought my net was plenty big, but it was tough netting it by myself when quite a bit of the fish stuck out. Don't have a great pic, but I held it up to my chest and reached my phone out as far as I could and added a shot on top of the cooler. Wasn't the longest fish I've ever caught @36";, but probably the heaviest.

Went on to another area and caught another Snook just under 27" and a nice Red, all on topwater. The sun was high by 8:30, but I fished another hour with no success and headed home with a smile!

A couple weeks ago, Robbie & I were having less than stellar luck on topwater and stopped by a Snook spot in Ozello and threw some Jerk baits...No luck. We are putting our rods away and Robbie notices a loop on his reel. He casts it out to straighten the line and catches this Snook!

A few days later, Robbie was on a guide trip and I was by myself....I guess he would rather make some $ than net my fish...go figure! After catching a couple nice Reds on topwater, I started back home, but stopped by to see if I could catch Robbie's Snook. And BAM!, I thought I did. After another epic battle, where I had to power pole up, move the boat because he had pulled out so much drag and power pole back down. I netted the fish and took a cooler shot and noticed afterward that the top part of the tail was squared off. Robbie"s was not. 2 Slob Snook at the same area! Nice!!

Would like to get a picture holding one of these Slobs sometime!

• troutman57troutman57 Posts: 3,691 Officer
    Those are some excellent fish! Well done HHT!
    This place Rocks if yer a crabber
  • Ruff OneRuff One HomosassaPosts: 1,777 Captain
    Great job on the snook. I love seeing those beauties in our area!!
  • ripnlipsripnlips Posts: 2,535 Captain
    One of the Big Bends well known secrets. I may start targeting them myself. Thx for the report.
  • PONCEPONCE Posts: 5,943 Officer
    Ya`ll did good boys WTG :beer
  • gbaswolfgbaswolf Posts: 268 Officer
    Topwater snook. Doesn't get much better than that.
    Tight lines!:fishing
  • huntentailshuntentails Posts: 1,694 Captain
    gbaswolf wrote: »
    Topwater snook. Doesn't get much better than that.

Couldn`t have said it Better
    Nice Job and Nice Fish
  • RedbonzRedbonz Posts: 4,510 Captain
    What better ways to get back posting than that, very nice fish....:thumbsup
    If it don't fit force it. If it breaks it needed replace anyways. :banghead
  • angler18angler18 Posts: 2,035 Officer
    congrats on a few nice snook, love um on topwater!
  • capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 9,098 Moderator
    Cool , I hooked one up in the river like that big one but the hook pulled. BTW , I can take a pic :)
    "You'll get your weather"
  • Fishin RodFishin Rod Posts: 2,620 Officer
    Great job, I did some topwater myself yesterday up in HSB and the trout and reds liked it real well...... Can't beat that just before daylight calm water bite.
    "Be what you is"....... Isaiah Minter
  • Snook SpankerSnook Spanker Inglis / YankeetownPosts: 1,694 Captain
    capt louie wrote: »
    Cool , I hooked one up in the river like that big one but the hook pulled. BTW , I can take a pic :)

Yea Buddy, Old Snook Spanker can take purdy good photos too! Also been known to catch a Snuke or two now & again! Don't ya just love the way they "fight smart" unlike just about any other fish swimmin in these perts! If they can find a way off your line> They will! Congrads on outsmartin a couple whoppers!!!
    I am'z what I am'z and that'z all that I am'z!! > Popeye!
  • bullbaybullbay Posts: 127 Deckhand
    Nice fish !

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file