Thinking about picking up a GoPro

Think my camera today took a poop when I put it a few inches under the water to shoot a school of triggerfish attacking my bait. So much for 15 feet maximum depth. Anyway, been planning to upgrade to a camera that can actually mount and shoot good videos and the Hero2 'seems' like the best option. Anyone have any opinions on good waterproof cameras including what mounts you use? Would be nice to have something that fits in a scotty mount.

Also, bonita may not be edible but man I'm sore after fighting a few of those today on the jig.

Replies

• DogmanDogman Posts: 450 Officer
    I have a Kodak PlaySport ZX3 I think its called. They are really cheap ($85) and take a pretty decent video. I looked at the GoPro but couldn't stomach the price.
    2013 Native Watercraft Slayer 14.5 (Sand) - His
    2010 Wilderness Systems Tarpon 100 (Mango) - Hers
    I have the hero2 and the only thing I don't like about it is the still image quality is not so great. There's also about a second delay from when you press the shutter button to when the picture is actually taken. I also have a fujifilm xp10 which has done well for the past year the picture and video quality are great on it as well and it was only $150. It has gotten bad reviews though on getting water inside of it in shallow water.
  • palmbeachpetepalmbeachpete Posts: 2,618 Captain
    Scotty has a great camera mount that will fit a GoPro or any camera.
  • NSByakNSByak Posts: 424 Officer
    Just picked up a Hero 2 the other day. If you are interested, sports authority sells them and my wife found a 25% off friends/family coupon. not really supposed to use it on the gopro, but they get so interested in trying to upsell you the warranty plan that they don't look at the coupon.

I just fabbed up a mount last night. Haven't had a chance to try it out but hopefully I can tomorrow after work. Its a PVC mount, but seems like it should work fine. I'll post some video and pics of the mount tomorrow.

I don't see the problem at all with the still images, they look great.
  • CrstyCptSWitherspoonCrstyCptSWitherspoon Posts: 590 Officer
    Yea about the still images, can't you just take a frame from video that you shot? The quality shouldn't be so bad so long as you sit still for a few seconds. I just picked up a yakattack panfish mount for my yak. 28" high so it'll be a decent over the shoulder-ish shot depending how I mount it. Problem is I kinda want a second camera to mount in the front too. Not too keen on dropping another $300 on a gopro again.
  • Shark bittenShark bitten Posts: 209 Officer
    Dogman how are the still pics. Want a camarra but $300 for the Hero could buy a nice rod and reel.
  • NSByakNSByak Posts: 424 Officer
    Can't speak for others but this is a quick grab with the stock settings and no post processing (and the first image out of my new goPro). The dynamic range in the images is VERY good. This was pretty low light so I'm very pleased with the capabilities of the camera. Full sun images are even better. This is a regular photo, not a video still. Excuse the finger, I didn't realize just how wide the lens is on this thing :)

2w2303l.jpg
    It has a 5MP sensor where the gopro has an 11MP. I find the pictures to be quite good. I'll see if I can find one that I've taken.

Here is one my wife took while she was away with my girls.
  • IdlewildeIdlewilde Posts: 1,357 Officer
    Nicely rigged yak - and cool video! :thumbsup
    Can't speak for others but this is a quick grab with the stock settings and no post processing (and the first image out of my new goPro). The dynamic range in the images is VERY good. This was pretty low light so I'm very pleased with the capabilities of the camera. Full sun images are even better. This is a regular photo, not a video still. Excuse the finger, I didn't realize just how wide the lens is on this thing :)

2w2303l.jpg

awesome pic
  • CrstyCptSWitherspoonCrstyCptSWitherspoon Posts: 590 Officer
    Was that video filmed in 720-30 or 720-60? Kinda want to do 60fps just in case I hook up with a sail and have the option of playing with slow motion. Also what video editing software are you using?
  • bbarton13bbarton13 Posts: 142 Officer
    it was filmes in 720 60fps for the same reason you have mention and i use the very easy to use windows live movie maker
  • fishingkid315fishingkid315 Posts: 1,927 Officer
    I Have the Coolplix aw100 its great! the go pro may be very compact but it has no screen? the aw has a nice screen easy buttons to use. It is waterproof,shockproof, everything proof i should say. I havent used it to much but im going to start.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • frogk04frogk04 Posts: 69 Deckhand
    I love my GoPro Hero 2. I like to keep it on the 1080p just because during my tests at home, the 720p setting were never as clear and sharp as the 1080p. I would have loved it if they had came out with a 1080p in 60fps instead of a wider angle. Don't really use my to take pictures but for video, you can't beat it compared to others out there.

[video=youtube_share;n-mfW4Ccw_4]
  • bbarton13bbarton13 Posts: 142 Officer
    i think the aw100 is a awesome camera but more for pictures, it takes awesome video but it wouldnt last long running a screen. a gopro is perfect to mount on your yak and just keep running. they do also have a lcd screen for the gopro. i have it and its great for taking pictures. you can also set it where it cuts the lcd screen off after a couple secs to save battery. another reason why i dont film in 1080 is when u watch a youtube you al.most never click the settings up to 1080. it just takes so long to load.
  • frogk04frogk04 Posts: 69 Deckhand
    Yeah, youtube does take what seems like forever to load 1080p. Sometimes it loads just fine while other times it buffs every 10 sec xP I would love to shoot 720p in 60fps but I really hate the super wide lens that 720p has. Doing POV shots like me the viewer will prob get sick with all the fish eye effect of me moving around lol
  • levosgienlevosgien Posts: 164 Officer
    imo the it's like hobie's, you pay more for the GoPro but once you get it you don't look back.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file