New Sustain?

tj5485tj5485 Posts: 139 Officer
Any one use them yet? They look great. Thinking of picking up a 3000 or 4000

Replies

• FlatsBoyFlatsBoy Posts: 1,273 Officer
    The 3000 is rock solid so far great reel!
  • defmonkeydefmonkey Posts: 56 Deckhand
    Where did you order from that had them.in stock
  • tj5485tj5485 Posts: 139 Officer
    what applications are you using the 30 for? Im looking for a decent Flats reel. I currently use Cabo 40s but Im looking for something a bit lighter
    Reds snook trout.
    Great reel buy it ! I have 2 cabo 40 solid but heavy notchy drag!
    See the reel in the lower right corner!

20120119_125603.jpg
    are you using braid or mono? How much? I mainly Target Bones and Permit with my Cabos, Just curious if I should get the 40 or the 30
  • bantam1bantam1 Posts: 541 Officer
    I guess you boys forgot this is the Shimano forum...
    No just posting my catch with my new SHIMANO SUSTAIN 3000 in the picture that i just purchased to show the size fish my new SHIMANO SUSTAIN 3000 i just payed cash for caught!:funnypost

20120113_084700.jpg
    bantam1 wrote: »
    I guess you boys forgot this is th:haile Shimano forum...

I was merely asking flats boy what applications he used his 30 for because I'm interested in buying one. So I made a quick
    Reference of what I currently use to compare to make sure I get the right size. Is that ok? Lol
    Just giving you guys a hard time.
  • angryanglerangryangler Posts: 328 Officer
    I just bought 2 10 K and 1 5 K. The bigger 10 K I plan to use for vertical jigging and the other for my big cobia rod. The 5K I will use for heavy inshore fishing (bridges for snook) and light off shore (yellowtail or pitch rod for dolphin). I want to get a 3000 for my go to inshore flats set up for reds, trout, snook, and pompano. Theses reels are so light and hold a ton of braid. I can't wait to use them. I ordered them online with Melton Tackle international. I should see my delivery by Thursday!! I already have 1 10 K I bought from T and R tackle in Ft. Lauderdale. It's sitting nicely for now on my 9 ft cobia rod.
    anrgyangler...I also plan on buying a 10k for jigging. And a 4k for the flats. I didnt know TR carried them already and since I live down the street from them I might have to jump on it. Why didint you buy the other one at T&R? Did they only have one?
  • Crystal CoasterCrystal Coaster Posts: 33 Deckhand
    bantam1 - why the EVA foam knobs on the new sustain?? I would pay a reasonable amount more to go with the Stella style handles/knobs or even the older sustain knobs. Also, what gives on the lack of a spare spool? Loved that about the older fe's as well. Aside from that, I'd say it's another winner from Shimano. My Stella's will have some new stablemates soon :)
    We went with EVA to be different and to help reduce weight. It's also proving to be more durable. The spools are expensive. Due to the poor exchange rates we eliminated the spare spools to maintain better pricing. Just like the Stella.
  • Crystal CoasterCrystal Coaster Posts: 33 Deckhand
    That makes sense, but I'd be lying if I said I wouldn't actively search for an aftermarket non-EVA knob ;)
  • Jetex2801Jetex2801 Posts: 540 Officer
    how much would replacement eva knob for the 5k be?
  • Ol'DirtyCasterOl'DirtyCaster Posts: 2,181 Captain
    tj5485 wrote: »
    anrgyangler...I also plan on buying a 10k for jigging. And a 4k for the flats. I didnt know TR carried them already and since I live down the street from them I might have to jump on it. Why didint you buy the other one at T&R? Did they only have one?

The 10K has held up well for land based tarpon. I do wish they had kept the 8k in the lineup, watching the 10k spool eat up 450yds of 40lb hollow core was enough to make me want to cry, but I had several fish last year that I had to break off with the limited capacity of the 6K.

IMG_1133.jpg
  • rosshavrosshav Posts: 47 Deckhand
    Dirty,

That is good to hear. I just purchased two 10000s to update my tarpon gear. Hope they fit the bill.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file