Monkeys on the Ocklawaha

JoshAaron91685JoshAaron91685 Posts: 723 Officer
Anyone know where to launch a boat to see the monkeys on the ocklawaha (silver river)? I remember my grandparents taking me but i dont remember where its at. I'd like to take my nephew. If its anything like it was 20 couple years ago he will love it.

Replies

• hooknlinehooknline Posts: 5,278 Officer
    Hwy 40 in astor
    If I say something that offends you, please let me know so I can say it again later

1322773200_30_1_USD_3.50_default.png
  • CaptTaterCaptTater Posts: 20,096 Officer
    ah... too easy
    I did not read the story but if you take tax payers money maybe you should be held to some standards.-Cyclist
    when we say the same thing about welfare recipients, you cry like a wounded buffalo Sopchoppy
    It's their money, they spend it how they like. Truth and honesty have nothing to do with it. - Mr Jr
    "“A radical is one who advocates sweeping changes in the existing laws and methods of government.” "
  • JoshAaron91685JoshAaron91685 Posts: 723 Officer
    Sweet. Seems like i remember it being alot further but i guess it was just me being 4-5 lol
  • Anonymous2Anonymous2 Posts: 1,964 Officer
    4c65caa1-9539-f747.jpg
  • MenziesMenzies Posts: 19,289 Officer
    Maybe if we tell people that the brain is an App, they will start using it.
  • Capt M BrennanCapt M Brennan Posts: 488 Officer
    Not Astor. Drive through the Ocala National Forest, when you cross the Ocklawaha Bridge just past the bridge there is a road that goes off to the left, curves back towards the bridge and there is a county park and launching ramp on a canal leading to Silver Spring Run/Ocklawaha River. I think it costs $5.00 or so to launch and park. Once launched proceed down the canal till you get to Silver Springs Run. If you go to the right, you end up in Silver Springs. The left branch takes you down to the Ocklawaha. It's a great way to spend an afternoon, but I didn't see any monkeys the last time I was there. Have a great adventure!
    Captain Mike Brennan
  • PONCEPONCE Posts: 5,943 Officer
    Theres a park and Boat ramp right there off HWY 40 right outside of Ocala right before you go over the Oklawaha bridge traveling East. exit out and go right, slow slow most of the way up to Silver Springs, should see them up that way.
  • td.td. Posts: 4,686 Officer
    There's wild monkeys in Florida?
  • CaptTaterCaptTater Posts: 20,096 Officer
    td. wrote: »
    There's wild monkeys in Florida?
    Yep.. tourist attraction. Also in Homossassa on the island. Don't know how many are left but there was a funny story about them in Florida Sportsman magazine way back, yes they have a magazine.
    I did not read the story but if you take tax payers money maybe you should be held to some standards.-Cyclist
    when we say the same thing about welfare recipients, you cry like a wounded buffalo Sopchoppy
    It's their money, they spend it how they like. Truth and honesty have nothing to do with it. - Mr Jr
    "“A radical is one who advocates sweeping changes in the existing laws and methods of government.” "
  • FishshrimpsnorkelFishshrimpsnorkel Posts: 1,350 Officer
    Depending on which story you believe, the wild rhesus monkeys were brought to Silver Springs in 1933 for the filming of a Tarzan movie, or arrived in 1936 to enhance a jungle cruise tourist attraction. Who ever introduced them to the area thought they could be contained on an island, but found out the monkeys could swim. A 1984 observation counted around 400 monkeys in the colony.
  • NoeetticaNoeettica Posts: 2,225 Captain
    I do that run often ... Monkeys are not always out ... River is insane and patrolled by the "Idle ****" on the weekends

so try during the week
    want to know about my Gheenoes Go Here

http://www.noeettica.com/
  • got ants?got ants? Posts: 9,140 Officer
    Monkeys are still in Dania around the Marina complex where Tugboats used to be, and on the other side of Griffen canal. Best time to see them is dusk and dawn.
    tffflogocopy_zps48a02f99.jpg
  • NoeetticaNoeettica Posts: 2,225 Captain
    Quick shot ...They were only running one "glass bottom boat" one skinny alligator a few birds and the occasional turtle ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmSxi9c3C9s&list=UUUWdRfNDROTesKe-jzmF8DQ&index=11&feature=plcp
    want to know about my Gheenoes Go Here

http://www.noeettica.com/
  • HoltHolt Posts: 971 Officer
    Pretty much what Noe said. I use to do that at least once every summer just to run the boat and cool off during scallop season(can't fish Steinhatchee much then). Fun day to swim and picnic...usually run off by a thunderstorm. In the 8-10 times I have done it I saw the monkeys once. That day I thought the Alpha Male was gonna take our little dog off the bow as he came right to the boat to let us know to keep our distance.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Split ShotSplit Shot Posts: 6,095 Admiral

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file