Jose dead.

http://www.nbc-2.com/story/17353675/2012/04/06/plane-crash-reported-in-collier-county#.T3-I1LL1Z08.facebook

http://www.naplesnews.com/news/2012/apr/06/plane-crash-reported-everglades-city/

His show was my favorite. Gonna miss the guy. RIP Jose. God be with his family.

EVERGLADES CITY -

Jose Wejebe, the host of a popular TV fishing show, was killed in the Everglades City plane crash Friday, according to the Collier County Sheriff's Office.

Crews on scene say the plane's tail number is N548SF. And according to the FAA, the aircraft with that number is registered to Wejebe.

Officials we spoke to say he was flying in an experimental, single-engine aircraft. The type is a CA8-SF.

Former Collier EMS Chief Jeff Page was chartering a boat when the crash happened. He said he saw the aircraft take off from the Everglades City Airport after 4:30 p.m. Friday and then felt the winds shift.

He said he thinks the plane got caught in a crosswind before hitting the ground and exploding.

"The plane popped up and it looked like it got its nose too high into the wind and it almost put it straight vertical," he said.

Page went on to describe the actual crash.

"The initial explosion of when it hit, there was no way anyone could survive it - no way anyone could even approach the plane," Page said. "It immediately burst into flames."

The intense explosion sent shockwaves through the otherwise quiet community.
"I had never seen anything like hat happen in my life. I panicked," said Everglades City resident Charlotte Ledford. "The smoke was horrible - one big huge gust of smoke that totally engulfed the whole area."

Wejebe was the host of the show, Spanish Fly - a saltwater fishing show on the Outdoor Channel and formerly ESPN.

On Wejebe's bio page within the TV shows website it states, "In the present day, Jose enjoys his new passion of flying private aircraft."

Fans mourning the loss are already sharing their thoughts on his Facebook page.

The Everglades Airpark is located at 650 E.C. Airpark Road in Everglades City. It sits immediately southwest of the Big Cypress National Preserve, and is surrounded on three sides by the waters of Everglades National Park.

The FAA is still investigating the specifics of the crash.

Replies

• CranfieldCranfield Posts: 1,282 Officer
    That is sad news.
  • wishfishinwishfishin Posts: 4,080 Officer
    Sad news indeed. His fishing shows were entertaining and he seemed to relish being on the water. May he rest in peace.
    1268964408215_zps1ab1a85e.gif
  • BigfootBigfoot Posts: 9,348 Admiral
    **** hard sad news indeed...we will miss him. R.I.P. He died doing something he loved...

If you visit his FB page, his passion for life jumps off the page!

Death is not the end, but the beginning of the greatest adventure of our lives--coming home to Christ.

He posted this picture on New Years wishing all the "best year ever" - I say recieving his reward in Heaven is THE best!

374810_274297719293034_114389555283852_809861_195761942_n.jpg
    Sometimes the nicest people you meet are covered in tattoos & sometimes the most judgmental people you meet go to church on Sundays...
  • SloughSlough S.w. Ga./ St. JamesPosts: 3,869 Captain
    :angel
  • illinoisfishermanillinoisfisherman Posts: 5,094 Admiral
    :angel
  • Tide-DancerTide-Dancer Posts: 1,347 Officer
    Jose was my Hero and he is going to be missed. He was a great man and has done a lot of good on this earth while he was here. Tight Lines and smooth seas in Heaven Bro!!♥
  • SwampratSwamprat Posts: 1,058 Officer
    :angel Enjoyed his shows, seemed like a class act.
    Jackson Cuda 12

A wade fisherman is the most simplistic but the most adept for the quarry they are after. They are immersed in their challenger's habitat and are in tune with the subtle changes of current, temperature and bottom. In order to be successful at this noble and primal fishing form one must be submerged from their goobs to their boobs, anyone doing this outside of that boundary is either sunbathing or swimming. S.F. Stewart 2015
  • seabiscuitseabiscuit Posts: 995 Officer
    Going to miss him. Loved watching Jose. Did great things for young kids, especially sick ones. Prayers for his family...
  • FamilyfisherFamilyfisher Posts: 2,569 Captain
    I always felt like I'd really enjoy being on the boat with him. Prayers for his family.
    Proverbs 13:3
  • kgfisherkgfisher Posts: 572 Officer
    Very sad. I loved his show and the passion and excitement he shared with everyone watching it.
    He will be missed. RIP. :angel
    "The fishermen know that the sea is dangerous and the storm terrible, but they have never found these dangers sufficient reason for remaining ashore"

- Vincent Van Gogh

2215GAG3.jpg
  • Nat-LightNat-Light Posts: 451 Deckhand
    Probably my favorite fishing show host. He was a hell of a fisherman.
  • wishfishinwishfishin Posts: 4,080 Officer
    When he would fish foreign (to him) waters, he would listen to the local knowledge and learn from it. Never once did I see him as condescending. And he wasn't afraid to laugh at himself.
    1268964408215_zps1ab1a85e.gif
  • reel estatereel estate Posts: 1,402 Officer
    Absolutely loved the show,RIP Jose

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file