Get your March Wahoo this Weekend

This time of year, I have caught a few bigger Wahoo are on the slack tides just outside the reef chasing schoolies & flying fish. Almost a year to date last March, slow trolling blue & with Islanders rigged with horse ballyhoo. Worth giving it a shot if you get out this weekend. Good luck out there, weather looks pretty good until the west wind picks up on Sunday.

Replies

• nfairbanknfairbank Posts: 259 Deckhand
    Nice Wahoo.

Will they still be around in May or will they have moved off?
    Nice Hoo, enjoy those eats
  • INTREPID377INTREPID377 Posts: 3,699 Captain
    Good tip. :thumbsup
  • TavernierGuyTavernierGuy Posts: 917 Officer
    Last May my wife & I went 1 for 3. Below is the picture.

We love eating Wahoo. My first fish I caught in the salt water was a wahoo, so I am addicted. We set up the same everytime to fish for them in the same areas with the same baits, if they are hungry they will eat, if not we move on.

No high speed trolling, caught more trolling at 5-7 knots. No secrets, just a lot of luck.

Lots of people tend to fly past the ledge in May, but its worth it if you can pull through the resident Kings & Cudas.

Good tip. :thumbsup
  • Full ThrottleFull Throttle Posts: 151 Deckhand
    Nice Ryan! thats one of my fav fish to eat, they are awsome as sushi better than tuna!
  • RaguRagu Posts: 56 Deckhand
    Way to go Ryan. That is a Bad *** looking Wahoo.

We will be down July 14 - 23. I hope i can put something together again to get my boys out on the water

Bob Craft
    Kraft Foods Green Coffee Quality
    Jacksonville Florida
    904-616-5641
  • Got TA GoGot TA Go Posts: 2,608 Officer
    Wahoo bite strong off Key West right now. Started on Saturday and is still happening. :wink

Rob
    www.gottagofishinginkeywest.com

Hero's Don't Wear Capes....They Wear Dog Tags.
  • gatormonroegatormonroe Posts: 198 Deckhand
    Solid tip. Thanks. I will be back down with my mom and her boyfriend in two weeks to give it a shot. The first time her boyfriend was out with us I stumbled into a 48-pounder for him. No technique, just luck. Being only his second time out on the ocean he asked, "Is this a nice fish." Uh, ya.
  • Devil DogDevil Dog Posts: 109 Officer
    Nice 'Hoo
  • jokerj280jokerj280 Posts: 195 Officer
    I managed to pick one up sunday. Was trolling about 8 miles out in about 200' of water off tavernier. Weighed in at 28#'s Got some funny looks when i came in through the creek with a wahoo hanging off the back of my jetski....
    28' BW Conquest, For Sale!!

23' Hydra Sport W/A...."Rough Sundays"..SOLD!
    Solid work! I heard about you today at the Creek from Ray before I went out. He was telling me about the Guy on the Jet Ski. I just laughed and said "Well Done". Lets see the picture.
    We can do it again. Your kids can sure spot the phins! Looking forward to it.
  • jokerj280jokerj280 Posts: 195 Officer
    Got a pic of it on my phone, cant upload it here tho for some reason.
    28' BW Conquest, For Sale!!

23' Hydra Sport W/A...."Rough Sundays"..SOLD!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file