Changing rod color

Got very lucky and aquired 6 St. Croix rods (very cheaply) that aren't quite the way I want them. Thinking of modifiying them just a touch.

1. Color ---If I strip them of eyelets and lightly scruff, prime with XIM spray and then a coat of Krylon (plastic)--- will the paint hold?

2. One of the rods is an 8'6" Legend Elite 2 pc and I would like make it a 7'6" would I mess it up too much if I cut off the butt section and replaced it?

Replies

• jakejake Posts: 324 Officer
    Now I don't know much, But I know both of those are bad ideas. I'll leave the experts to your first question, but I know you will throw off the whole actionof the rod removing the tip. As anyone knows, once you break the tip off, even if you get it fixed...the rod is never ever as good as it once was...maybe it's because i like a fast tip, though
  • Gmanwi53Gmanwi53 Posts: 43 Deckhand
    Butt section ---not tip
  • reel cowboyreel cowboy Posts: 565 Officer
    Not sure on painting as I've never done it but you can certainly cut from the butt section. You'll lose some power and slow the rod down, but you can do it.
  • a-salt-weapona-salt-weapon Posts: 202 Deckhand
    Let the Krylon dry for a good 5 days then permaglos over it. Works like a champ.
    Let the Krylon dry for a good 5 days then permaglos over it. Works like a champ.

Thanks --- I thought it would work, also figured that somebody else had tried this before me. Wouldn't have figured 5 days though, that isn't a problem.
  • Ol'DirtyCasterOl'DirtyCaster Posts: 2,180 Captain
    Gmanwi53 wrote: »
    2. One of the rods is an 8'6" Legend Elite 2 pc and I would like make it a 7'6" would I mess it up too much if I cut off the butt section and replaced it?

You're going to destroy that rod. The smart thing to do would be to just sell the 400$ rod and use the money to build the rod you want.
    Ok --took what Ol'DirtyCaster said to heart and instead of screwing up on one of my St. Croix's I took a 25+ year old Shakespere Tiger stick and stripped of guides and repainted shooting for a marbling effect. Learned a whole bunch of things not to do in the future.
    Gmanwi53 wrote: »
    Ok --took what Ol'DirtyCaster said to heart and instead of screwing up on one of my St. Croix's I took a 25+ year old Shakespere Tiger stick and stripped of guides and repainted shooting for a marbling effect. Learned a whole bunch of things not to do in the future.

Certainly have learned a bunch the last couple of weeks---here are a couple of St. Croix SCii's ---just about willing to trust myself on my SCiii's ---
  • MiamipescadorMiamipescador Posts: 696 Officer
    Nice work! Marble isnt my cup of tea but im just starting out and YES IT IS ADDICTING
  • snooknUSMCsnooknUSMC Posts: 113 Officer
    Nice job
  • ArmbreakerArmbreaker Posts: 76 Deckhand
    Now that's pretty darn good for your first go at marbling,and oh yes marbling is definatly addicting! The biggest trick to marbling if to have a smooth / even finish when your done combining your pigments,,you do not want to see any bumpiness or waves in your rod ..this is accomplished by adding very minimal amounts of pigments to achieve your desired results,,adding to much finish on your blank will result in a wavy or bumpy looking finish and feel..thats the trick to marbling and when that process is perfected your home free and you'll be well on your way
    Here is a beautiful color combo I recently discovered
    attachment.php?attachmentid=31278&d=1337113812
    Have a look through some of my creations to get some other ideas if you'd like~ http://www.youtube.com/user/Sikus1965?feature=watch
    Good luck and welcome to the addiction!
    Wow --I am honored by your response --- I have been looking at your work since I got on the forum, just incredible stuff. If rod building and art work on them, ever becomes a religion you will get my vote for "Grand Master and Dali Lama" . Even with my poor camera work you were able to spot my issues, impressive. Just how long have you been doing this? Thanks for your input. The only thing consistent about my work so far is inconsistency.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file