Question for the long time birders.

WaterEngineerWaterEngineer Posts: 24,414 Officer
I have been to a lot of wetlands during all times of the year during the last six years. But until today, I have never seen a Heron stand in this position.

There were three or four female Herons standing in a similar way. I can post a couple more photos if anyone wants.

What I believe is a female in each case standing on the north edge of the nest functioning as a reflector? to get heat into the nest?

That is the only thing I can figure out. Who is our resident ornithologist?

Thoughts?

5EFyjl.jpg
Which ever one(s) of you little boys complained about quotes in the signature should be ashamed of yourself. :blowkiss

Instead of complaining to the moderators you should just quit playing on this board.

Replies

• barlow46barlow46 Posts: 292 Deckhand
    Scroll down to behavior. Not sure if this is what is happening in your shot but sounds like the defensive position. Only thing is the bill doesn't seem to be pointing skyward but maybe you saw it: http://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Great_Blue_Heron/lifehistory/ac
  • FrisbeeFrisbee Posts: 2,315 Officer
    I think THEY are heating themselves up. I have seen them do this a few times along the causeway(no nests in site), and a couple of other times.
  • WaterEngineerWaterEngineer Posts: 24,414 Officer
    OK, gents, I thank each of you for the info. Great site from the Univ. of Cornell.
    Which ever one(s) of you little boys complained about quotes in the signature should be ashamed of yourself. :blowkiss

Instead of complaining to the moderators you should just quit playing on this board.
  • CptMikeCptMike Posts: 286 Officer
    Postpartum blues
    The "redneck way".........just so long as something winds up dead.
  • mississippi macmississippi mac Posts: 4,215 Officer
    Craig,
    I have been to a lot of wetlands during all times of the year during the last six years. But until today, I have never seen a Heron stand in this position.

5EFyjl.jpg

Nor have I and we have 3 nesting pairs on the our property...

However, it is a great image....and kind of amusing as blues can be at times....

tim
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The Real White Dog

if you can't catch a fish...catch a buzz....
    #12976, joined 8-17-2002

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file