They are back.

11011121315

Replies

  • ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 8,284 Admiral
    Billin wrote: »
    As my original post stated look it up for yourself. Last time I checked I am not a news outlet for the fishing form. The info is not hard to find due a records search of commercial fishing boats owners in the state of FL then pull there criminal records it's all public info due to the sunshine law and it's free. As far as the other info department of AG info request it is also free you just have to request it and wait. Commercial fisherman feed a very small portion of this country it is a waste. You cannot make a decent argument for it once all the facts are in. Why should we the people support a minority group plagued with drugs and alcohol abuse living off Medicare and unemployment most of the year. It's time to end your little party and move on the slave trade died the tobacco farms died now it is your turn so evolve or die. Why should anyone care you made most of your money running drugs into the country or other illegal items what purpose do you actually serve what benefit are you to society. The damage you do to the ecosystem is apparent now give me a tangible reason to support you.
    I don't know any commercial fishermen on unemployment, I do know of a few on medicare but I think they're around 70 years old.
    I bet the first of the month is a happy time at your trailer though.:troll
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
  • gill nettergill netter Posts: 234 Officer
    Billin wrote: »
    As my original post stated look it up for yourself. Last time I checked I am not a news outlet for the fishing form. The info is not hard to find due a records search of commercial fishing boats owners in the state of FL then pull there criminal records it's all public info due to the sunshine law and it's free. As far as the other info department of AG info request it is also free you just have to request it and wait. Commercial fisherman feed a very small portion of this country it is a waste. You cannot make a decent argument for it once all the facts are in. Why should we the people support a minority group plagued with drugs and alcohol abuse living off Medicare and unemployment most of the year. It's time to end your little party and move on the slave trade died the tobacco farms died now it is your turn so evolve or die. Why should anyone care you made most of your money running drugs into the country or other illegal items what purpose do you actually serve what benefit are you to society. The damage you do to the ecosystem is apparent now give me a tangible reason to support you.

    You still havent gotten over the civil rights movement eh? Angry about all the "freedoms" certain citizens have now? There are support groups for them "issues" that cause you to think like that. And they are free too. Check em out before you do something that may harm yourself or others. Just tryin to look out for ya man. Were here for you if you need anything.
  • Allen3200Allen3200 Posts: 35 Deckhand
    Tainted seafood! Please injoy your toxic imported seafood: Flood of food imported to U.S., but only 2 percent is inspected

    — Foodborne illnesses sicken one person in six — 48 million — in the U.S. each year. Of those, 128,000 require hospitalization and 3,000 die.


    Billin wrote: »
    As my original post stated look it up for yourself. Last time I checked I am not a news outlet for the fishing form. The info is not hard to find due a records search of commercial fishing boats owners in the state of FL then pull there criminal records it's all public info due to the sunshine law and it's free. As far as the other info department of AG info request it is also free you just have to request it and wait. Commercial fisherman feed a very small portion of this country it is a waste. You cannot make a decent argument for it once all the facts are in. Why should we the people support a minority group plagued with drugs and alcohol abuse living off Medicare and unemployment most of the year. It's time to end your little party and move on the slave trade died the tobacco farms died now it is your turn so evolve or die. Why should anyone care you made most of your money running drugs into the country or other illegal items what purpose do you actually serve what benefit are you to society. The damage you do to the ecosystem is apparent now give me a tangible reason to support you.
  • Mackeral SnatcherMackeral Snatcher Posts: 10,382 AG
    If your worried about us maybe you should quit exporting your catch and sell it here.
    THERE SHOULD BE NO COMMERCIAL FISHING ALLOWED FOR ANY SPECIES THAT IS CONSIDERED OVERFISHED.
  • Allen3200
    Tainted seafood! Please injoy your toxic imported seafood: Flood of food imported to U.S., but only 2 percent is inspected

    — Foodborne illnesses sicken one person in six — 48 million — in the U.S. each year. Of those, 128,000 require hospitalization and 3,000 die.[/I]




    ......and how many of these are as a direct result of consumption of 'tainted', imported seafood?

    Now I do prefer locally caught seafood....which is why I catch my own. The stat's you laid out is
    a tactic employed in politic's and by ENGO's to create a "Gloom and Doom" scenario. It typically
    backfires and creates apathy however.

    Your post is suggesting that "Not letting you use Gill Nets", results in 3,000 people dying each year
    because they were forced to eat imported seafood that was tainted............is much more than a stretch.
    Actually, I like you to post any stats on ANY death's attributed to imported seafood.
  • So here is a serious question for the Commercial Netters in this thread:

    The coms have stated that 1) the 2" mesh is killing too many fish, and
    2) smaller nets would kill even more fish than the 2" mesh, and 3) the
    commercial fishermen are keenly interested in conservation.........

    So, Would you agree for the sake of "conservation" of the Public resource
    that the 2" and smaller nets should be banned for commercial use, since
    the commercial representatives here on this thread indicate they are too
    destructive to the fisheries?

    A simple Yes or No answer would be appreciated.
  • seacoastseacoast Posts: 7 Greenhorn
    We have. And we all know the story.

    Mr. Grix and his followers populate a reality seldom visited by critical thinkers and the socially astute.

    What did you say your name was?

    wow were getting somewhere. your right its a story, a story told by the corrupt fwc, and their council for which tax payers money is actually help with their 2" story... even the judge see right through it come on .. my name is not import, im sure you will agree.:banghead
  • ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 8,284 Admiral
    So here is a serious question for the Commercial Netters in this thread:

    The coms have stated that 1) the 2" mesh is killing too many fish, and
    2) smaller nets would kill even more fish than the 2" mesh, and 3) the
    commercial fishermen are keenly interested in conservation.........

    So, Would you agree for the sake of "conservation" of the Public resource
    that the 2" and smaller nets should be banned for commercial use, since
    the commercial representatives here on this thread indicate they are too
    destructive to the fisheries?

    A simple Yes or No answer would be appreciated.
    not all commercial net fishermen buy the too much bycatch claims.

    So, No...

    Awaiting your spin with baited breath.
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
  • DeniseDenise Posts: 66 Deckhand
    I just wanted to say that while you keyboard commandos are hating I've been fishin...gtg have a great day!
  • Got TA GoGot TA Go Posts: 2,608 Officer
    Denise wrote: »
    gtg have a great day!

    I am, Thank You. :grin

    Rob
    www.gottagofishinginkeywest.com


    Hero's Don't Wear Capes....They Wear Dog Tags.
  • Gary S. ColecchioGary S. Colecchio Posts: 24,922 Officer
    Denise wrote: »
    I just wanted to say that while you keyboard commandos are hating I've been fishin...gtg have a great day!

    :thumbsup Where are the tarpon, Denise?
    "If I can't win, I won't play." - Doris Colecchio.

    "Well Gary, the easiest way to look tall is to stand in a room full of short people." - Curtis Bostick

    "All these forums, with barely any activity, are like a neglected old cemetery that no one visits anymore."- anonymouse
  • TarponatorTarponator Under a BridgePosts: 9,413 Admiral
    ANUMBER1 wrote: »
    not all commercial net fishermen buy the too much bycatch claims.

    So, No...

    Awaiting your spin with baited breath.

    So then why are some asking for larger mesh? Color me confused....Mike

    p.s. Gary, they are on the inside.
  • FS Karl SnapperFS Karl Snapper Posts: 285 Officer
    It's probably best to eliminate all nets for taking commercial food market fish,which is the way it is in Texas and many other areas.

    The Florida confusion about seine nets (intentionally caused) makes it almost impossible to control unlawful activity. Arrests were made the other night of gill netters taking a mother load of pompano (see FS website) and these violations are common, hurting the community in many ways.
  • ANUMBER1 wrote: »
    not all commercial net fishermen buy the too much bycatch claims.

    So, No...

    Awaiting your spin with baited breath.

    So the ones making the claims simply are trying to "Have their Cake and Eat it too"?
    Its their arguement to gain incresed mesh size in "Their" business, so no spin, just
    their own words being used, in this case against their arguement!

    If, its not about conservation, and there is not too much bycatch mortality and
    "Killing too many fish" with the 2" and smaller nets, then its all about money.
    So are they lying about the bycatch to try to gain an economic advantage?
  • ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 8,284 Admiral
    Tarponator wrote: »
    So then why are some asking for larger mesh? Color me confused....Mike

    p.s. Gary, they are on the inside.
    To make it easier. So you don't have to wait for slack tide or to be able to strike on the grass in the summer and not have to pick a bucket of pinfish losing time and tide.
    I'm talking about mullet not trout, redfish, or snook.
    That's all I got for now, heading for the camp to fish this afternoon(no nets just a magic wand) and chase birds tomorrow.

    This is about the only way I fish these days.
    059.jpg 52.7K
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
  • brettfitzbrettfitz Posts: 433 Officer
    This is about the only way I fish these days.

    Fish Fry in Ozello! Since you already have scotch coming, I'll bring some home brew.
    "A 'real' fisherman is one who thinks like I do. There are more of us around than you might suspect."
    -John Gierach
  • TypicleseTypiclese Posts: 385 Officer
    I guess the comm net guys gave up over here on this thread.........
  • ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 8,284 Admiral
    Typiclese wrote: »
    I guess the comm net guys gave up over here on this thread.........
    Your raiper wit was too much so they went fishing.
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
  • TypicleseTypiclese Posts: 385 Officer
    More than likely they are all at the PEW, EDF spammers workshop....training for another venue

    Better be careful posting up all of those bluegills---NMFS might quota them as well....maybe yet another way for you to **** the public resource for profit....you should push for that....

    PS - its RAPIER
  • ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 8,284 Admiral
    Typiclese wrote: »
    More than likely they are all at the PEW, EDF spammers workshop....training for another venue

    Better be careful posting up all of those bluegills---NMFS might quota them as well....maybe yet another way for you to **** the public resource for profit....you should push for that....

    PS - its RAPIER
    My bad, i'se usually purdy good bout my puncuation..

    PS - They're MY bluegills.... Myself and a very small elite group of folks own them.
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
  • Got TA GoGot TA Go Posts: 2,608 Officer
    ANUMBER1 wrote: »
    PS - They're MY bluegills.... Myself and a very small elite group of folks own them.

    :rotflmao

    Art...If it helps you at all...you can have MY and my wife's bluegills. :grin

    Rob
    www.gottagofishinginkeywest.com


    Hero's Don't Wear Capes....They Wear Dog Tags.
  • ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 8,284 Admiral
    Got TA Go wrote: »
    :rotflmao

    Art...If it helps you at all...you can have MY and my wife's bluegills. :grin

    Rob
    Not sure how to take that..... but I got a chuckle out of it.
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
  • Allen3200Allen3200 Posts: 35 Deckhand
    TCPalmNews»
    Posted March 24, 2012 at 4 a.m.
    .DiscussPrintAAA.Robert Johnson, Palm City

    Letter: It's time to rethink Florida's gill-net ban to boost economy, quality of fish



    In 1994 an amendment to the state constitution was passed outlawing gill nets in the state of Florida. The law read on the ballot "limit commercial fishing in state waters." The amendment was carefully worded to disguise its true intention.

    Most voters cast their ballot with conservation in mind having no idea that an entire industry was about to be abolished. The ban on gill nets wiped out jobs and destroyed lives overnight. Most people would have cast their ballot differently in 1994 had they truly understood the repercussions. Today, 90 percent of the seafood consumed in the United States is imported, with most of it coming in from Asia.

    About 10 percent of this product is inspected by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration. There are little or no restrictions on fishing in the Third World countries supplying us with our seafood. Producing our own seafood not only creates jobs but ensures quality for the consumer.

    Conservation is in everyone's best interest, and to the fishermen themselves the most. No one wants to see our fish stocks depleted. The facts show that regulated and managed gill net fishing is the most efficient way to harvest fish commercially. It is possible to let the fisherman use gill nets to make their living while maintaining strong fish stocks for years to come.

    Louisiana and North Carolina are two of the states that allow regulated gill netting and studies show their fish stocks to be strong. Gill nets and hook and lines can coexist and it would be to the benefit of all who reside in Florida and all who enjoy fresh seafood.

    Want to give the state economy a jolt? Ease restrictions on gill nets.

    © 2012 TCPalm. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
  • surfmansurfman WC FLPosts: 3,654 Captain
    No industry was abolished it is still legal to fish for mullet commercially only a type of gear was abolished. And to think that allowing gill nets will improve the so called quality of mullet is simply ludicrous because one thing we can be certain of is that it will certainly affect the quality of the recreational catch. The gill net will take all the big fish and leave the shorts for the recreatonals, yea that would be a big boost to the economy, shut down recreational fishing again!

    Was that article written by a journalist? Because that is the most misleading thing I have ever read. Total BS.
    Tight Lines, Steve
    My posts are my opinion only.
  • As a result of the current net egulations, our fisheries continue to grow, from what had become
    a dangerously low stock level of important game and food fish, to what we see now as a robust
    fishery that draws millions to our state yearly to participate in a economically dominate sportfishery,
    as well as continuing to support a commercial fishery that allows those not wanting to harvest
    themselves to enjoy fresh local fish.

    Easing back on the net restrictions may make it easier (more effective) for commercial fishermen,
    but is it what is best for the fishery, and the economic impact of the recreational fisheries that
    the state counts on more than any other sector? Remembering that the current regulations
    have allowed continued growth since their inception make one rightly question how going back
    'towards' that old regulatory allowance is a good idea. It had been previously argued that smaller
    nets 'kill too many young fish'. That arguement ws supposed to make people accept the arguement for
    larger mesh nets, however, if that arguement remains, it really make us question the whole net
    fishing impact on our fisheries.

    Recreational fishermen have not opposed the net fishermen, fishing the same waters for years
    now. Despite 'some' in the commercial net fishery trying to create a divide, and inflame the issue
    by claiming that a recreational hatred for net fishers is what is behind the restrictions, the fact
    of the matter is, our fisheries are MUCH healthier now than they were before the current net
    restrictions began. Anyone thinking otherwise likely believes cigeratte smoking does not harm
    you and seat belts don't save lives! The current regulations are working, and despite a ban of large
    nets that indecrimantly gill and entangle fish, commercial fishermen, with nets still fish our waters,
    and our fish stocks remain healthy for ALL to benefit from.
  • ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 8,284 Admiral
    surfman wrote: »
    No industry was abolished it is still legal to fish for mullet commercially only a type of gear was abolished. And to think that allowing gill nets will improve the so called quality of mullet is simply ludicrous because one thing we can be certain of is that it will certainly affect the quality of the recreational catch. The gill net will take all the big fish and leave the shorts for the recreatonals, yea that would be a big boost to the economy, shut down recreational fishing again!

    Was that article written by a journalist? Because that is the most misleading thing I have ever read. Total BS.
    If the size was increased to 3" instead of the present 2" then the market would have a predictable size food mullet to sell(3" mesh will gill a 1 to 1 1/4lb fish). That predictablity might help the re-establish food markets that were lost after the net ban. If you think that a 3" mesh would increase the roe catch then you really don't have a clue as to how mesh size determines fish size and the avg size of red roe mullet.

    Only your 1st sentence had any truth to it, rest of your drivel was just that.
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
  • surfmansurfman WC FLPosts: 3,654 Captain
    The truth is that our fishery is better than ever even though there are more recreational fishermen today than ever and the biggest change in the fishery has been the absence of gill nets. As far as mullet for a food fish goes there doesn’t seem to be a problem with fishermen catching mullet when they want to. They flooded the market with them during the roe season to the point where the fish houses had to turn them away and they were wasted and dumped. The gear they are currently using is just fine, there is no need to change anything and ruin a perfectly good and significantly more valuable recreational fishery in the process.
    Tight Lines, Steve
    My posts are my opinion only.
  • ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 8,284 Admiral
    Yep, I can see the tourists flocking to Fl for a chance to catch a wall-hanger mullet...:rotflmao

    Always been easier to catch mullet in the fall when they bunch up prior to spawning, it's this time of year(march thru july) when the markets suffer, always been called the scrapping season amoung fishermen.
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
  • FinfinderFinfinder Posts: 9,321 Admiral
    gill netters disprove evolution ....how many generations does it take to understand brush + tooth paste = a full smile
    never mind making the jump to aquaculture or training for new trades.......
  • ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 8,284 Admiral
    Finfinder wrote: »
    gill netters disprove evolution ....how many generations does it take to understand brush + tooth paste = a full smile
    never mind making the jump to aquaculture or training for new trades.......
    What a classy, witty comment...
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file