Snook, Cobia, Reds, sheepshead and Trout...Ya got to love spring

I did a few fishing trips over the past couple weeks and of course got a dive in too. We got a ton of snook in the river one afternoon. The snook came in at all different sizes anywhere from a foot long to almost 40 inches. we mainly fished with the D.O.A. terror eyzs for the snook. We also managed to catch about a half dozen reds and 3 mangrove snapper that same afternoon in the river but most were small even though we did get 3 slot reds, all after the sun went down. I did a separate afternoon trip for trout to see what I could come up with and we got 12 keeper trout for 3 of us and they were mostly in the 15-17 inch range but I got one nice 25 incher which was a nice surprise. I'm not big into trout fishing just because there is no fight, but a 25 incher is always a nice sight on a trout fishing trip. I went to the cape to scout for some cobia and ended up with 2 nice fish in the boat and one that shook the hook that was about the same size as the others we landed. Diving has been great! I went out with my buddy John and I was the only one diving so I only brought one tank but I shot my limit of 15 sheepshead on 1000lbs of air and came up and moved a mile to another spot and got some nice hogs and mangroves on the rest of the tank. the water, weather and the fishing are all heating up!!! Let hope the state loosens up on these tight grouper and snapper regs so we will have a reason to head back offshore.
IMG_4483-f-s.jpg
IMG_4661-f-s.jpg
IMG_4512-f-s.jpg
IMG_4620-f-s.jpg
IMG_4646-f-s.jpg
IMG_4494-f-s.jpg
IMG_4652-f-s.jpg
IMG_4624-f-s.jpg
IMG_4565-f-s.jpg
IMG_4638-f-s.jpg
IMG_4474-f-s.jpg
IMG_4665-f-s.jpg
IMG_4680-f-s.jpg
IMG_4696-f-s.jpg
IMG_4718-f-s.jpg
IMG_6144-f-s.jpg
IMG_6913-f-s.jpg
IMG_6838-f-s.jpg
IMG_7059-f-s.jpg
IMG_7126-f-s.jpg
IMG_7177-f-s.jpg
Some shallow water fun with the kids
IMG_1589-f-s.jpg
IMG_1627-f-s.jpg
IMG_1598-f-s.jpg
IMG_6318-f-s.jpg
IMG_6340-f-s.jpg
IMG_6348-f-s.jpg

Replies

  • troutman57troutman57 Posts: 3,691 Officer
    Nice fish Jimmy!
    Bet that 25" trout fought ok.
    This place Rocks if yer a crabber
  • ripnlipsripnlips Posts: 2,535 Captain
    Wow, great pics Jimmy. Gotta love a good snook bite.
  • PONCEPONCE Posts: 5,943 Officer
    You Torem up Capt Jimbo, you guys had a nice run :beer:beer
  • Austins26Austins26 Posts: 1,989 Officer
    nicely done Great pictures
    The Original HOTD poster
    680k views 360 plus posts Deleted by a so called Mod over a little cleavage

    member since Oct 1998 long before most of You
  • jimsfishingobsessionjimsfishingobsession Posts: 158 Officer
    troutman57 wrote: »
    Nice fish Jimmy!
    Bet that 25" trout fought ok.
    not bad, but he sure fried up good. I feel bad for the trout and reds because they'll be having more people fishing for them since we can't keep much offshore.
  • The DaveThe Dave Posts: 486 Deckhand
    Nice job there fellas!
    I'll think of something witty to put here.....
  • angler18angler18 Posts: 2,035 Officer
    looks like some productive trips there Jimmy. That's a really nice trout. The cobes are starting to show up more and more on the east side, but still need to hit that magic 76 degree mark for them to be everywhere.
  • keypondkeypond Posts: 2,017 Officer
    Great pics Jimmy and some very nice fish. Looks like things are heating up.
    Chris

    Reel Time w/Florida Sportsman Guest Host
    Sight Fishing AJ's, Say What
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCSPHOHuw-M&list=UU7OK0PWEO7jknYHsykHcjaA&index=1&feature=plcp
  • Moon ShadowMoon Shadow Posts: 764 Officer
    WTG again. Awesome fish.
  • G318G318 Posts: 24 Greenhorn
    nice pics
  • Snook SpankerSnook Spanker Posts: 1,690 Captain
    not bad, but he sure fried up good. I feel bad for the trout and reds because they'll be having more people fishing for them since we can't keep much offshore.

    At risk of being banned from the forum for asking it's favorite son this, but I have to> Capt. Jimmy, with all the fish you catch and shoot you have to eat, why did you have to fry a 25" trout instead of letting it go?? Please disregard if the fish was gut hooked or bleeding and gonna die anyway!!!!!
    I am'z what I am'z and that'z all that I am'z!! > Popeye!
  • jimsfishingobsessionjimsfishingobsession Posts: 158 Officer
    At risk of being banned from the forum for asking it's favorite son this, but I have to> Capt. Jimmy, with all the fish you catch and shoot you have to eat, why did you have to fry a 25" trout instead of letting it go?? Please disregard if the fish was gut hooked or bleeding and gonna die anyway!!!!!
    Snook spanker you're fine for asking man, you won't upset me you're a cool dude. I kept the 25 inch trout for the same reason everyone else does to eat it and because it tastes good. I don't target trout very often but when I do, I eat them. That's about the only reason for me to trout fish. I never keep snook even on the east coast where you can keep them and I very rarely keep redfish even though I don't think there is anything wrong with keeping your limit of fish but when it comes to trout, grouper, snapper cobia and stuff like that they come home for dinner for sure. I'm also not like most people that keep a freezer full of fish I eat fish at least 5 days a week when I have it. I love to eat it and the people I fish with eat it and take it to their family too. It doesn't go to waste or sit in the freezer for 6 months or a year like deer does. hope you understand :)
  • Snook SpankerSnook Spanker Posts: 1,690 Captain
    Snook spanker you're fine for asking man, you won't upset me you're a cool dude. I kept the 25 inch trout for the same reason everyone else does to eat it and because it tastes good. I don't target trout very often but when I do, I eat them. That's about the only reason for me to trout fish. I never keep snook even on the east coast where you can keep them and I very rarely keep redfish even though I don't think there is anything wrong with keeping your limit of fish but when it comes to trout, grouper, snapper cobia and stuff like that they come home for dinner for sure. I'm also not like most people that keep a freezer full of fish I eat fish at least 5 days a week when I have it. I love to eat it and the people I fish with eat it and take it to their family too. It doesn't go to waste or sit in the freezer for 6 months or a year like deer does. hope you understand :)

    Capt. Jimmy, You have every legal right to keep and eat a 25" trout as does as you say "everyone else who does"! Maybe I'm outa line I duno but I don't keep any large breeder size trout when the smaller ones taste better anyway! I've only caught a couple gator trout since living here in the Big Bend (and let them go!) but back when I lived on the S.E. Coast I spent a lot of time in the Stuart / Jenson Bch. area fishing. We used to catch some really big trout there and over the 26 year period I fished there the number of large trout caught dropped dramaticly w/ more people moving in and keeping the trophy size trout to eat or get stuffed! From what I understand, more trout here are getting to trophy size now than they have in a long time. Now w/ the commercial guys taking more trout w/ longer seasons and more and more trout are being takin by the recreational fisherman, I think it's evan more important that we Forum members try to teach others how special a gator trout is!! (If as many people are reading us Big Benders as they say are??)
    Again, I may be outa line but this is my opinion and I feel very strongly about it!! The way I'm going, I may not be around to fish w/ my grandchildren but I pray that if I ever have any that they will become fishers and that there will be plenty of GATOR trout arond for them to catch!!!!!
    I am'z what I am'z and that'z all that I am'z!! > Popeye!
  • troutman57troutman57 Posts: 3,691 Officer
    Snooky you are right about not being able to catch many really large trout here . I almost always toss back the large guys since they are our future. Jimmy rarely fishes for trout so I doubt him keeping a breeder or two would make much difference. I am however happy to see more folks understand that it's a good policy to let the gators go. I had a disscussion with Capt. Mike Locklear about this a couple of years ago and he is a big advocate of tossing back the bigguns. He and his family have guided out of Homosassa for many years. He remembers the time the truly large trout (25"+) were more plentiful. We never had the 30+ inchers here like the east coast. On a good note over the past 2 years we have had good numbers of overslot trout around and available often. The constant factor present when we have large declines in the population of a inshore fishery is the allowance of comercial netting. I eat trout a couple times a week but I try to also eat reef fish once a week as well but I do go to the freezer for the reef fish. The botton line is let the overslot fish go and kill the 17"ers they are abundant and excellent table fare.
    This place Rocks if yer a crabber
  • tekmunkitekmunki Posts: 668 Officer
    troutman57 wrote: »
    Snooky you are right about not being able to catch many really large trout here . I almost always toss back the large guys since they are our future. Jimmy rarely fishes for trout so I doubt him keeping a breeder or two would make much difference. I am however happy to see more folks understand that it's a good policy to let the gators go. I had a disscussion with Capt. Mike Locklear about this a couple of years ago and he is a big advocate of tossing back the bigguns. He and his family have guided out of Homosassa for many years. He remembers the time the truly large trout (25"+) were more plentiful. We never had the 30+ inchers here like the east coast. On a good note over the past 2 years we have had good numbers of overslot trout around and available often. The constant factor present when we have large declines in the population of a inshore fishery is the allowance of comercial netting. I eat trout a couple times a week but I try to also eat reef fish once a week as well but I do go to the freezer for the reef fish. The botton line is let the overslot fish go and kill the 17"ers they are abundant and excellent table fare.


    I agree 100%, although with my poor skill fishing, and the lack of time I get to spend fishing I feel I can be a little greedier because I know I only hit the water 2 or 3 times a month- so my impact is very low. I'll judge keepers based on how my day is going- if the bite is slow and the first fish I reel in 1/2 way through the day is 25", I'll keep it for dinner--- but if the bite is on and I've bagged a one or two 17"-20" trout already, that's probably all I'll take...

    Take my last trip for instance, we caught trout all day, but my wife and I kept the first 2 in the boat, not knowing how the rest of the day would go--- which happened to be both just over 20". The rest of the day we caught plenty of trout, and had a couple over 20"; we didn't even bother measuring- just tossed em back because we had our dinner. :)

    I personally don't mind someone keeping a single trout over-slot, especially when it's completely within their legal rights to do so; I think it would be a real issue if he was the kind of guy that tossed back every 16" trout and ONLY kept a 24"+ trout every trip- which clearly he isn't... :)

    BTW; Another great report and impressive catches!
    sigsmallx.jpg
    Q: How much fishing equipment can a man have before his wife throws him out?
    A: I do not know for sure; however, I believe that the experiment is almost complete!
  • bigjohnbigjohn Posts: 1 Greenhorn
    Nonsense nonsense nonsense :banghead anyone who fishes and has a lick of sense knows that a 15 inch trout is a breeder fish just as much as a 25 inch trout. Every 15,16, and 17 inch trout you keep will be full of eggs during spawning season just like a fish over 20 inchs. If you are really concerned with catching bigger fish #1 STOP KEEPING ALL THE 15 INCHERS!!!! let the small fish reproduce and keep all the big fish.#2 do something different because they are all over out there! That 25 inch trout has probably bread at least a dozen times! KEEP the dang fish and fry him up for God's sake. Stupid comments like this on a public forum is why we can only keep one redfish, one trout over 20 and NO grouper and snapper even though they are everywhere. The same yahoo Yankees that are crying let your keepers go are the same ones that are crying when the fishing regulation are over bearing when the government shuts down the fishing and says you can't keep grouper, snapper, trout or whatever else they decide to tell us we can't keep. This is why the forum is dwindling down to nothing. You can't jump on someone every time they keep a 25 inch trout that's absolutely ridicules. Jump on someone when they break the law not for keeping his one dog gone fish he is allowed to keep over 20 inches. I used to post on here when I had my other user name before the forum got all switched around and this is one reason I don't post anymore. Telling someone to throw a 25 inch trout back because it's a breeder is nonsense. You throw your keepers back and let everyone else keep theirs. Nice fish Jim and good job! please keep posting I love seeing good reports and quality fish. By the way too bad you couldn't have kept a few of those endangered snook.
  • RedbonzRedbonz Posts: 4,509 Captain
    Great mess of fishing Jimmy....:thumbsup
    If it don't fit force it. If it breaks it needed replace anyways. :banghead
  • TKAug76TKAug76 Posts: 10 Greenhorn
    We got a ton of snook in the river one afternoon. The snook came in at all different sizes anywhere from a foot long to almost 40 inches. we mainly fished with the D.O.A. terror eyzs for the snook.

    Is this Crystal River you're referring to? Just wondering thanks, and great catches! :)
  • gbaswolfgbaswolf Posts: 268 Officer
    Taking one fish over the slot should not be questioned. I know I don't get to fish this area as much as most of you, but it sure seems to have a healthy and growing trout fishery. The slot seems to be right on. I've fished in a area that for years never used a slot limit and it killed the fishing. A limit for Walleyes would be 5 and they had to be at least 15" in length. What would end up happening was all the larger fish would be targeted and harvested. The lakes soon became loaded with under size walleyes with very few keepers. The gene pool became very weak and the lakes stopped producing keepers. After sometime a slot size was put in place that you could only harvest walleye under 14' and keep only one fish over 21". It took sometime but the lakes started to produce more and more over slot keepers and are now sustaining a healthy fishery. I'm not sure how long the Trout slot limit has been in place(in the big bend area) but it seems to be working. Snookspanker I understand what you are saying and if the fishery was struggling I would agree 100%. I'm not sure the reason for the limited amount of large gator sized trout is due only to being over harvested. I wonder if the forage they feed on is the same as it is the areas that are producing larger trout with faster growth rates. As a former Musky fishing I'm all for letting the big ones go(heck we let all of them go), but for a fishery like we have with trout in this area, keeping one large one EVERY ONCE IN A WHILE should not make a difference. Just my two cents. Guys tight lines and hopefully I'll be joining you full-time soon.
    Tight lines!:fishing
  • Snook SpankerSnook Spanker Posts: 1,690 Captain
    bigjohn wrote: »
    Nonsense nonsense nonsense :banghead anyone who fishes and has a lick of sense knows that a 15 inch trout is a breeder fish just as much as a 25 inch trout. Every 15,16, and 17 inch trout you keep will be full of eggs during spawning season just like a fish over 20 inchs. If you are really concerned with catching bigger fish #1 STOP KEEPING ALL THE 15 INCHERS!!!! let the small fish reproduce and keep all the big fish.#2 do something different because they are all over out there! That 25 inch trout has probably bread at least a dozen times! KEEP the dang fish and fry him up for God's sake. Stupid comments like this on a public forum is why we can only keep one redfish, one trout over 20 and NO grouper and snapper even though they are everywhere. The same yahoo Yankees that are crying let your keepers go are the same ones that are crying when the fishing regulation are over bearing when the government shuts down the fishing and says you can't keep grouper, snapper, trout or whatever else they decide to tell us we can't keep. This is why the forum is dwindling down to nothing. You can't jump on someone every time they keep a 25 inch trout that's absolutely ridicules. Jump on someone when they break the law not for keeping his one dog gone fish he is allowed to keep over 20 inches. I used to post on here when I had my other user name before the forum got all switched around and this is one reason I don't post anymore. Telling someone to throw a 25 inch trout back because it's a breeder is nonsense. You throw your keepers back and let everyone else keep theirs. Nice fish Jim and good job! please keep posting I love seeing good reports and quality fish. By the way too bad you couldn't have kept a few of those endangered snook.

    Seems your a little more than upset by my opinion on keepin large trout bigjohn, but I respect your right to speak here as everyone does! You are so right about every 15, 16 & 17" trout being breeder fish and also that there are a lot of them out there!! Hell I catch a whole lot more trout under 17" than over 17"! I often ask myself where are all the 15" trout I caught 2 or 3 years ago, surely they all haven't been caught?? Maybe it just might have something to do with the trout's gene pool? Maybe since the larger trout have been kept for so long around here the "fast growing" genes of the Gators are not as prevelant as they once were? I once saw Mark Nixchols (Founder & Qwner of DOA Lures) talk about this very subject about his home waters near Stuart Fl. (Where most of the seatrout world records were caught!) He said it was imperative that we take care of these giant fish as to not loose their gene pool for ever! Now I don't claim to be the smartest fish in the school but I think Mark knew what he was talking about!
    As far as the redfish go bigjohn, they have changed the limit, you can now keep two in the slot! Maybe the reason there are so many reds around now just might have something to do w/ the strict limits that have been on them so long> I duno cause evan though I've lived in the South for more than 33 years (Texas before Fla.) I guess I'm still just a stupid-nonutin-yahoo-cryin-yankee!! Oh sorry about the name callin, I wouldn't call anyone else here names but maybe it's ok to call myself name??
    Oh sorry for jumpin all over you Jim, I really didn't think I was> Keep up the great work, love your posts & photos!!!
    I am'z what I am'z and that'z all that I am'z!! > Popeye!
  • troutman57troutman57 Posts: 3,691 Officer
    Bigjohn welcome! Not a great comming out for a newbie though.
    Pete's point is still a valid conviction and letting a trophy fish go is ALWAYS a good thing. Not that every one needs to be tossed back and we all know JHimmy rarely fishes for trout so he wont have any impact. But it is a proven fact that allowing the truly large fish remain in the gene pool is just a good prudent thing to do. A quick look at how the salmon fishery turned weak as we thought we could stock our way to a strong fishery is a lesson learned about strong genes, survival of the fittest and natural selection. Just because a fish can lay eggs doesn't mean it is a good breeder. The larger older fish that have bred several times are the stronger of the species.
    This place Rocks if yer a crabber
  • fishorflyfishorfly Posts: 3 Greenhorn
    At the risk of opening up a "can o worms" Our "all knowing" FWC just opened up the limits of trout, and reds a little, and gave our commercial
    brothers a much bigger allotment of trout. And almost gave them back some nets. I say take what you want, and enjoy! Until the FWC issues more
    common sense in thier regulations! I know its a poor way of looking at it, but the end might justify the means.
  • jimsfishingobsessionjimsfishingobsession Posts: 158 Officer
    TKAug76 wrote: »
    Is this Crystal River you're referring to? Just wondering thanks, and great catches! :)
    yes
    gbaswolf wrote: »
    Taking one fish over the slot should not be questioned. I know I don't get to fish this area as much as most of you, but it sure seems to have a healthy and growing trout fishery.
    I agree with that. thanks:)
    bigjohn wrote: »
    Nonsense nonsense nonsense :banghead anyone who fishes and has a lick of sense knows that a 15 inch trout is a breeder fish just as much as a 25 inch trout. Every 15,16, and 17 inch trout you keep will be full of eggs during spawning season just like a fish over 20 inchs. If you are really concerned with catching bigger fish #1 STOP KEEPING ALL THE 15 INCHERS!!!! let the small fish reproduce and keep all the big fish.#2 do something different because they are all over out there! That 25 inch trout has probably bread at least a dozen times! KEEP the dang fish and fry him up for God's sake. Stupid comments like this on a public forum is why we can only keep one redfish, one trout over 20 and NO grouper and snapper even though they are everywhere. The same yahoo Yankees that are crying let your keepers go are the same ones that are crying when the fishing regulation are over bearing when the government shuts down the fishing and says you can't keep grouper, snapper, trout or whatever else they decide to tell us we can't keep. This is why the forum is dwindling down to nothing. You can't jump on someone every time they keep a 25 inch trout that's absolutely ridicules. Jump on someone when they break the law not for keeping his one dog gone fish he is allowed to keep over 20 inches. I used to post on here when I had my other user name before the forum got all switched around and this is one reason I don't post anymore. Telling someone to throw a 25 inch trout back because it's a breeder is nonsense. You throw your keepers back and let everyone else keep theirs. Nice fish Jim and good job! please keep posting I love seeing good reports and quality fish. By the way too bad you couldn't have kept a few of those endangered snook.
    I just got back from cocoa today and I see you guys have been having fun with my thread lol. bigjohn that was a little harsh but I have to say that I agree with everything you said except for the rude comments but Please for my sake drop it. Snookspanker and troutman keep 50 trout a week if you want or let them all go it doesn't bother me either way. I know you're not jumping on me for keeping a 25 inch trout so let's forget it and keep putting up great post on this great forum. :full
  • troutman57troutman57 Posts: 3,691 Officer
    WEll said Jimmy.

    yes
    I agree with that. thanks:)

    I just got back from cocoa today and I see you guys have been having fun with my thread lol. bigjohn that was a little harsh but I have to say that I agree with everything you said except for the rude comments but Please for my sake drop it. Snookspanker and troutman keep 50 trout a week if you want or let them all go it doesn't bother me either way. I know you're not jumping on me for keeping a 25 inch trout so let's forget it and keep putting up great post on this great forum. :full
    This place Rocks if yer a crabber
  • csanderscsanders Posts: 471 Officer
    Nice catches as usually Capt. Jimmy. Did you get a new boat or were you out with someone?
  • jimsfishingobsessionjimsfishingobsession Posts: 158 Officer
    csanders wrote: »
    Nice catches as usually Capt. Jimmy. Did you get a new boat or were you out with someone?
    My buddy lets me use his boat whenever I want since I got him a free power pole from my sponsor, so it's my friends boat but he almost never goes with me when I use it. Actually he has never fished with me out of his new boat yet lol. I'm sure I'll get him out with me soon.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file