Sig Sauer Mosquito or Walther P22??

dorado954dorado954 Posts: 8 Greenhorn
I am normally scouring the fishing side of this forum however I hope someone can help me with this firearm question. I am looking into buying a .22 for plinking and target practice. I have narrowed my search to the Sig Sauer Mosquito and the Walther P22. I have only ever used a .40 Glock 27 and a Walther PK380 I have put a few hundred rounds through each. I did not like the feel of the PK380 it felt cheapish and the mag release was really weird. I am still new to shooting and just want this to practice with I like how the Moaquito is a scaled down version of the P226 so that in the future when I move up to a larger caliber I will be used to the size and grip. Anyways any suggestions on those two would be appreciated. Also I know they are both very picky on ammo and people suggest the CCI mini-mags. But I have found the CCI blazers for very cheap. Is this ammo comparable to the mini-mags? Thanks for the help!

• fish_stixfish_stix Posts: 1,237 Officer
    Sig builds best quality firearms. 'nuff said.
  • TriplecleanTripleclean Posts: 6,591 Officer
    I held the SR 22 ruger pistol last week and it felt great and Im going to shoot the heck out of it soon. It's a Sig and Walter .22 KILLER. Also it only $330. Its eats all ammo. will find out soon.
  • 1FSM1FSM Posts: 114 Officer
    I have both Sig Sauer Mosquito and Walther P22 and IMHO they are not the pistol you should get.

I got the P22 about 6 years ago to use with my can and it works great for that purpose but it is not very accurate.
    Without the can the little P22 works best with Minimag but nothing else is very reliable. With the can it feeds and cycles the Federal bulk ammo like candy... I guess it needs that extra back pressure can provides.

The Mosquito has never worked right from the beginning and despite going back to Sig two times it still doesn't work 100%. It also has bad habit of throwing brass into shooter's face once in a while.

Both pistols are picky on what ammo it will work with and is not very accurate.

The pistol you should look into are Ruger Mk II/III series or Browing Buckmark series pistols. They don't cost much more and they will last your lifetime. They are reliable and more accurate than you.
  • razorreilly09razorreilly09 Posts: 8,401 Officer
    Keep in mind you can get a .22 kit for your Glock
    F-the ruger mk iii! The ruger sr 22 is out!!!! polymer frame, DA SA. and eats any ammo!
    This costs the same as Ruger mk iii $320-340
  • tydtyd Posts: 52 Deckhand
    I have two friends with P22 and they are very picky on ammo. also my dad has a MKIII which is awesome. I just picked up a SR22 and its an awesome feel. I have yet to shoot it though but will report back. All othr reports I have read says it eats every ammo that is thrown at it..
  • dorado954dorado954 Posts: 8 Greenhorn
    Thanks for all the answers. I think the SR22 may have moved to the top of my list.
  • Captain AdamsCaptain Adams Posts: 37 Deckhand
    Browning Buckmark.

If you go to some of the major gun boards you will find that the Walthers are subject to issues. If you don't care about lots of FTE, FTF and ammo fussy etc they are ok. I rented one once, maybe it was beat and or dirty as a range gun but it had about 20% failure to do something.

Typically the Rugers and Brownings come out on top with user ratings.

How about a revolver??

The Ruger is interesting as it is a similar format of your said interest.
    After a bad opening, there is hope for the middle game. After a bad middle game there is hope for the end game. But once you are in the endgame, the moment of truth has arrived - Edmar Mednis
  • Captain AdamsCaptain Adams Posts: 37 Deckhand

.22 LR needs all the help it can get. A short barrel isn't one of them.

After a bad opening, there is hope for the middle game. After a bad middle game there is hope for the end game. But once you are in the endgame, the moment of truth has arrived - Edmar Mednis
  • *gps3010c**gps3010c* Posts: 171 Officer
    how about a mk 111 22/45
  • Tropic RatTropic Rat Posts: 110 Deckhand
    Have had them both and they best should have ONLY CCI Mini Mags.
    The P-22 was clearly the inferior of the two although I found both to be
    unreliable with the Mosquito the lessor of a problem. The Mosquito was not up
    to the quality one normally finds & expects in the Brand.

While shooting one day, my 12 year old while holding the P-22, looked up
    at me with an expression that he had just smelled a pile of ***T and asked if
    we could get rid of it and "get a good gun".... so it went.

Both are to be avoided. Since Walther was acquired, everyone I know has
    been unhappy with ALL their newer models.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file