Mosquito Lagoon Morning 3/13

Got the pleasure of fishing with a forum member today, Ryan (Troutman561) on his skiff in the middle lagoon. We met at around 6:30 and were fishing by 7:00 ryan made quick business of a jack and a trout and then we started poling around a promising flat with dead calm wind. There was far more bait on the flat than I expected and the reds were more schooled up than they had been in my previous trips - the smallest groups of fish consisting of 5-10. We had a very productive morning getting several nice shots at tailing and cruising fish, we had at least 2 double hookups. Ryan seemed to catch everything that he put the hook in but I managed to lose two reds - one was destined for disaster as it was getting closer to the skiff he says "wow that looks like the fish of the day" :grin It was a great time and we were back at the ramp by 10:40. looking forward to fishing with you again man :thumbsup

Replies

• OviedoavOviedoav Posts: 139 Officer
    Nice job! I am jealous, couldn't get off work today. I had two friends out there today and they both scored big. Nice day!
  • Art VandelayArt Vandelay Posts: 418 Officer
    clear, calm and lots of fish. Hard to beat!
  • troutman561troutman561 Posts: 575 Officer
    It was fun out there.. Thank you for showing me some new tricks.. I wish I didnt have prior plans because I would be out there right now with this calm wind.. And I should know from my years of fishing to never compliment a fish before it was landed, though it was nice! Hopefully we can get out there again before it gets too hot.. How is you upper body after all that poling? Im feeling it today...
  • fi$hheadfi$hhead Posts: 12 Greenhorn
    Well done!
  • MRichardsonMRichardson Posts: 5,904 Admiral
    Nice. Jealous here. Better not be windy this w/e.
  • jumboshrimpjumboshrimp Posts: 820 Officer
    It was fun out there.. Thank you for showing me some new tricks.. I wish I didnt have prior plans because I would be out there right now with this calm wind.. And I should know from my years of fishing to never compliment a fish before it was landed, though it was nice! Hopefully we can get out there again before it gets too hot.. How is you upper body after all that poling? Im feeling it today...

haha, it was a blast and thank you again (so nice to see that flat from the standing position!. I paddled over 5 miles today and it was nowhere near as tiring as poling the boat, I dont know if its just different muscles that I dont use much or if there is technique to it I dont have down yet but it was tough. And yesterday was calmer than today so you were able to get out on the right day (although the breeze today kept it cooler). A few years ago I was tarpon fishing with my dad, he had a solid 150lb+ fish on just off the bow "man thats the biggest one we've ever caught" SNAP! never fails lol, but that red wasn't too far over the slot range so I'll take my quick release.
  • Chasing FinChasing Fin Posts: 151 Officer
    What were you guys using as bait? Water looks nice...can't wait to get out there.
    I was using a Gulp new penny jerk shad. Jordan was using a zoom swimming fluke in mullet colors.
  • shouldabeenworkinshouldabeenworkin Posts: 60 Deckhand
    Whats up with the wind Jumbo? I look at the forecasts and they have been saying anywhere from 8-15 over there every day for the last couple of weeks. I don't want to spend all that gas money driving over there for that kind of pain in the butt. Then I see your photos and its dead calm. What gives?
    Whats up with the wind Jumbo? I look at the forecasts and they have been saying anywhere from 8-15 over there every day for the last couple of weeks. I don't want to spend all that gas money driving over there for that kind of pain in the butt. Then I see your photos and its dead calm. What gives?

What site are you using? These last few days of calm were right on according to what I was using..
  • jumboshrimpjumboshrimp Posts: 820 Officer

I do a magical wind dance before each trip... I use NOAA, it isnt always right but its right enough. I use the map and select a few different areas where I fish and get some kind of general idea. I also use accuweather, wunderground, and fishweather.
  • SUPER DSUPER D Posts: 634 Officer
    Great report! looks like a perfect morning. Hope for the winds to be down this weekend.
  • JonDubsJonDubs Posts: 184 Officer
    Sounds like a great day on the water..and a good amound of fish in a short time. Nice job guys
    KeyWest 1520 Flats Boat
    Indian River Canoe 12' Flatback
    Heritage RedFish Kayak 12'

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file