Water in cockpit

Scottg4001Scottg4001 Posts: 7 Greenhorn
Ranger HQ, lately I have been having a issue with water intrusion in my bilge and cockpit and I am not using the livewell/baitwell. Only happens when I am on the poling platform and someone is on the bow. Water comes up through the cockpit ball drain and when I turn the bilge on it blows out a lot of water. Is there a easy fix to this or is there something that needs to be replaced? The boat is the 169 Ghost. Everything else on the boat is great. Thanks in advance.

-Scott

Replies

• Ranger Boats HQRanger Boats HQ Posts: 15 Greenhorn
    It sounds like the cockpit drain in the floor is not sealed. Remove the four screws, raise the drain up (clean floor and fitting) and install silicone caulk under the drain and screw back down. Clean up excess caulk and you should be sealed so no water enters the bilge around the cockpit floor drain.
  • Scottg4001Scottg4001 Posts: 7 Greenhorn
    I think you missed understood my question. Water enters my cockpit from the bilge.
  • phantom1phantom1 Posts: 41 Deckhand
    Scottg4001 wrote: »
    Ranger HQ, lately I have been having a issue with water intrusion in my bilge and cockpit and I am not using the livewell/baitwell. Only happens when I am on the poling platform and someone is on the bow. Water comes up through the cockpit ball drain and when I turn the bilge on it blows out a lot of water. Is there a easy fix to this or is there something that needs to be replaced? The boat is the 169 Ghost. Everything else on the boat is great. Thanks in advance.

-Scott

I have a 2010 168 phantom and had some water in the bilge as well.... Started trouble shooting and figured out the live well inlet filter housing was loose. I noticed water in the bilge only on days I used the live well system. I was able to unscrew the filter which was full of grass (my fault) and then tightened the housing a few turns and the the problem was fixed. But you say your not running the live well/aerator? If your boat is the same as mine then the actual cockpit scupper drain system drains into a hose which is gravity drained out the back of the boat through a little flapper valve, which acts like a check valve or reverse flow valve. This system when pushed below the water at a certain point the water pressure will overcome this valve and leak into the cockpit. This is a known issue with a lot of ranger skiffs and many other skiffs manufacturers in the skiff market. I put a small rubber plug in the cockpit and never looked back. Water in the cockpit is expected with this system a little bit. But if your getting enough water for the bilge pumps to run then it's possible where the hose connects from the cockpit drain system, to the fitting on the back of the hull may be loose. The cockpit drain system does not drain to the actual bilge area!! It will only get in there if the clamps areas are leaking or you have another issue. Best way to find the problem if no loose fittings are established will be on the water. Drain plug fitting, high speed pickup, or cockpit drain line are more than likely the culprit!!

I had a few small issues when I first got my phantom such as the water issue which I solved, a trim tab not working which was covered under warranty it was a pinched wire, and the ground terminal strip under the console was broke in half and kinda hanging which isn't a huge problem but a problem none the less, which I didn't expect from Ranger. But Since this skiff wasn't cheap I was a little disapointed with these few issues. But other than that the boat does everything I need it to do!!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file