Cobia and Mangs

Got this decent cobia today while snapper fishing on the county reefs just off Sarasota. 20 lb test fluorocarbon leader, 1/0 circle hook and a big fat shrimp right on the bottom. The fish fought for 45 minutes on light tackle. Managed about 15 or so really nice mangs (sorry no pics) and some porgy as well. Needed to chum really heavy to get the bite started, most likely because of the big moon. Even managed a decent tripletail yesterday on the ride along the beach.
The shrimp we got at the baitshop were really big today and it made a significant difference.
cobiamarch2012.jpg
K

Replies

• L8TRG8TRL8TRG8TR Posts: 62 Deckhand
    Very nice, those cobes are good eating!
  • Angler SystemsAngler Systems Posts: 919 Officer
    Quality fish Kevin. Glad to see one of your reports again. They are a big help to the angler who only gets out once a week or so. Thanks!!
  • Luftwaffe1989Luftwaffe1989 Posts: 170 Officer
    Nice, thats a really nice looking Cobia!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] My second (wife):grin... My 1970 Chevrolet Chevelle 454 SS (LS6).
  • NyrangerNyranger Posts: 67 Deckhand
    L8TRG8TR wrote: »
    Very nice, those cobes are good eating!
    . No they aren't, throw 'em all back:blowkiss
  • remyremy Posts: 30 Deckhand
    Great Cobe. Did you catch Mangs on surface or bottom & on what bait? Thanks
  • Feeding FrenzyFeeding Frenzy Posts: 247 Officer
    Mangs on bottom using big fat shrimp. I think the full moon had something to do with it as it took a long time to get the snapper bite going. They never came up into the slick.
    K
  • larrywittlarrywitt Posts: 2,428 Moderator
    Nice Cobia,,,,45 minutes of good memories. We never got to see what we had on,fun just the same..
    larrywitt
  • Mr. DemeanorMr. Demeanor Posts: 370 Officer
    I see little deep fired cubes of heaven :)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file