Fishing in the bay

Never really fished in the bay and I really need to get out. It looks to rough to go offshore tomorrow in my boat but i believe the weather in the bay will be fine until later in the afternoon after i am long gone. How is the fishing in the bay? Do the artificial reefs produce? Are there mangrove snapper which are a good size in there? Should i try fishing some of the structures near the bridges? Chum? Any thoughts or tips would be greatly appreciated.

• IdlewildeIdlewilde Posts: 1,357 Officer
    There are LOTS of bays on the west coast of Florida, and while you obviously know what you are thinking about, it might be helpful to someone reading your post if you said what bay you were talking about. :wink
  • timbo615timbo615 Posts: 237 Officer
    Tampa bay
  • Anclote KeyAnclote Key Posts: 2,354 Officer
    That was my guess since this is the West Central forum.
    The two best times to fish is when it’s rainin’ and when it ain’t. –Patrick F. McManus
  • fishingkid315fishingkid315 Posts: 1,927 Officer
    uhh. Thats a nightmare. I Hope this family can stay strong.
  • timbo615timbo615 Posts: 237 Officer
    Is anyone going to answer the questions at hand or just comment about everything but the questions?
  • Anclote KeyAnclote Key Posts: 2,354 Officer
    I wish I knew some answers, but I'm new to the area. Only been here a couple years. One thing that did strike me driving over the Tampa Bay bridges was the lack of boats out there fishing. I expected it to be jam packed, but that wasn't the case.
    The two best times to fish is when it’s rainin’ and when it ain’t. –Patrick F. McManus
  • DingoDingo Posts: 45 Deckhand
    Fishing in the Bay is steady right now with lot's of trout, and a few Reds mixed in. Find a flat and drift with live or artificials and you will catch fish. I have heard of the snapper making there way in but I have not yet seen it. Good luck as there is a lot of tight lipped people on this site.
    The Duke

Gause Built 26
  • salty limeysalty limey Posts: 44 Deckhand
    I've done really well for mangrove snapper this time of year at the mouth of the Hillsborough river believe it or not. Got a couple spots there I can tell you if you are ever up that far.
  • LimeyLimey Posts: 454 Deckhand
    The south end of Harbour island is good for Mangrove snapper. Anywhere on the south shore this time of year.
    Carolina Skiff 238 DLV. 140 Suk
  • barrynflabarrynfla Posts: 592 Officer
    The Weedon Island area seems to be pretty good almost all the time. Lots of trout on the flats and reds and snook in the passes.
  • DaddyNashDaddyNash Posts: 1 Greenhorn
    dang dude dont get so snippy

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file