Key Largo dolphin 2-18-12

After arriving in Key Largo Friday night I went to check on my boat in the slip and there is a couple small dolphin and massive wahoo carcass near the fillet table so I decide its dolphin fishing on Saturday. I later found out the wahoo went 58 lbs caught Friday.:hail
So Saturday we head out to 300 feet of water and the weeds are thick I spy one matt of weed around a hundred feet round. :obscene Troll by and a small 24 inch dolphin in the boat. Re rig troll past again hookup a little bigger one. While I’m fighting it another rod goes off now my wife is doing battle with an 11 pounder. Both get gaffed and we are covered up with schoolies around 24 inchers but won’t eat.
Troll a little more put one more in the boat lose another foul hooked one boat side. Plenty of meat for us so we headed in to look for some lobsters. Found two keepers and a few lion fish in one of my holes and called it a day. Came across a Cuban raft on the way in.
003-2.jpg
008.jpg
002-5.jpg

Replies

• Reel TeaseReel Tease Posts: 610 Officer
    Nice report! How are those lionfish for dinner?

If only that raft can speak...
  • zatarazatara Posts: 173 Officer
    Great trip. Thanks for the pictures, the report and for killing the lionfish.
  • CaptBillCaptBill Posts: 271 Officer
    Thanks for an interesting report. Those winter dolphin are a real treat.
  • TavernierGuyTavernierGuy Posts: 917 Officer
    Now that is a magical piece of debris, hope you checked it for "loot". Nice job on the green hornets.

CaptBill wrote: »
    Thanks for an interesting report. Those winter dolphin are a real treat.
  • cudamancudaman Posts: 402 Officer
    Nice trip, sad to see those rafts out there like that. Just makes me wonder what happened to those people. A friend of mines caught one of those Lion fish from a bridge in the keys, he says they are delicious. Thanks for keeping them, they should never go back in the water alive or dead.
    www.cudamanadventures.com
    I only keep what I eat or will use for bait.
    I release all sharks.
  • KEYSDAVEKEYSDAVE Posts: 13 Greenhorn
    The lions taste like hogfish with a snapper texture very simular to a mutton. I only ate the larger one the others were just too small to get any meat off but I kill them when I can. I usually spear them but these were inside the three mile line so had to tickle them out of the hole and net them.
    The raft was already inside the reef line so no mahi but did check for tripletail to no avail.
  • isla21isla21 Posts: 2,115 Officer
    Nice catching. Seeing that raft is crazy and makes you realize how bad things must be there to hop on one and hope for the best. Nice report

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file