King and mackarel leader - Best rig?

maironbrmaironbr Posts: 75 Deckhand
Hi folks!

As I will be in Key Largo on early March for some fishing, and I know it is Kingfish season, what would be the best way to setup a wire leader for trolling and flat line?

If I use circle hooks with fluorcarbon or mono (for Sailfsh for example) and I hook a King, what are the chances of losing fish?

Thanks!

Replies

• sam50sam50 Posts: 499 Officer
    your chances are in the 90% unless using a triple hook rig to 80lb mono. I use 2ft of #5 wire to a 3/0 live bait hook then a #6 treble 3x strong to a 4 inch stinger wire. If trolling for kings bonito strip baits with a seawitch over them are money, of course use a wire leader.
  • bigfinn35bigfinn35 Posts: 508 Officer
    Wire is an absolute necessity for kings. They will slice through mono and fluorocarbon like nobody's business! I like to attach my main line to a small black swivel, then tie the wire (50 lb test) to the swivel with 7 or more good perpendicular twists. Use variety of plugs to cover the water coumn, from shallow runners, surface spoons, and deep diving plugs like the Mann's stretch 30 pf Bomber CD30. Another great tactic is slow trolling lve baits. Catch some ladyfish, big sardines or threadfins, or small Spanish mackerel and put them on a 2 hook stinger rig. Put a 6/0 circle hook through the lips, then an extra strong treble hook behind the dorsal fin to prevent short strikes. Make sure the leader between the hooks is long enough to allow free swimming movement. Use about 2 ft of wire.
    Paddle faster, I hear banjo music.
  • MiamipescadorMiamipescador Posts: 696 Officer
    Bimini in the mainline, tire 30 lb fluoro leader, then allbright the leader to a short(around 6 inch) piece of #3-#5 wire
  • FS JimFS Jim Posts: 474 Officer
    Check out episode 3 of Reel Time w/FS. Forum member NickC shows a pretty good rig not only for kings but for everything..
  • GT FishGT Fish Posts: 9,448 Officer
    FSJim wrote: »
    Check out episode 3 of Reel Time w/FS. Forum member NickC shows a pretty good rig not only for kings but for everything..
    That is what i always use..
    mousey.gif
    61903c544aca27b57fb2aa29e6bc4a3b.gif
    gnat.gifWzz6I.gif
  • AlwaysAbuAlwaysAbu Posts: 472 Officer
    sam50 wrote: »
    your chances are in the 90% unless using a triple hook rig to 80lb mono. I use 2ft of #5 wire to a 3/0 live bait hook then a #6 treble 3x strong to a 4 inch stinger wire. If trolling for kings bonito strip baits with a seawitch over them are money, of course use a wire leader.
    "Wire is an absolute necessity for kings. They will slice through mono and fluorocarbon like nobody's business!"

17 lbs on 125# Fluoro and a circle hook...Tarpon by-catch...OOPS!
    17lbkingfish06-11.jpg
    king06-11JollyRoger.jpg

Honestly, this was the only kingfish I have ever seen caught on mono only and I consider it pure luck. When it comes to kings, wire is like AMEX...don't leave home without it. Trolling spoons is another story though. It is common to just use mono pulling spookns in line but live bait you better use wire.
  • swordslayer71swordslayer71 Posts: 398 Officer
    Is it impossible to catch them on mono...of course not, here's a picture of a 35lber caught on 50lb mono leader with a 5/0 circle hook...

Projectpictures054.jpg

Should this have lasted more than 2 seconds? No, but somehow we landed him. Some light wire in the #5 or #6 range will be your best bet, with a single J up front and a stinger treble in the back of your bait.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file