Flats/waist packs.

esoxflyesoxfly Posts: 25 Greenhorn
What's everyone's favorites? I've got a Simms roll top fanny pack from a few years ago, but with all the new ones out there, I'm getting the itch to try a new one. However, going to the local shop and checking them out isn't an option for me....seeing as I don't have a local shop within 100 miles.

Not really looking for a chest pack. I've been down that road and they don't work well for me.

Thanks.
Ranger 200C/Yamaha 225 Sport
300x100.jpg

Replies

• Ol'DirtyCasterOl'DirtyCaster Posts: 2,175 Captain
    esoxfly wrote: »
    Not really looking for a chest pack. I've been down that road and they don't work well for me.

Thanks.

I'm with you there. The chestpack is the most rediculous design for bag, it's almost like they sat down and thought of the most inconvenient and obtrusive place to carry a bag.
    I've been using the William Joseph satchels for close to a decade, but they've stopped making them. I get great deals on fishpond stuff, but they don't make a sling. The sling pack made by orvis is functional but it just doesn't look like it put together very well. My bag is on it's last leg (and it stinks), so I'll be watching this thread closely.

IMG_02441.jpg
  • DowntownNashDowntownNash Posts: 182 Officer
    I have a ton of bags but generally I prefer old digital camera bags.

Many of them are waterproof (if thats important to you), well built, light, and plenty of storage. I'm somebody who takes a very minimalistic approach. When I carry a bag the most important thing is that the bag allows me to push it over to my back when I dont need it, but allows me to drop it down to my side so everything is easily accessible. Camera bags are designed to do all of this.

If you're a thrifty kind of a guy, you can find tons camera bags for under $10 at a thrift store.

This is the bag I fish with 80% of the time. It carries about twice as many flies as I could ever use in a day, 3 leaders and tippet, and a pair of forceps. the main pocket fits all of those perfectly. I dont even usually need the front pocket. I could easily fit 2-3 dozen flies in that box. And if I'm planning on throwing wet socks, I can fit about 12-15 of those.
    a4anwg.jpg
    idekvn.jpg
    signature.png
  • thinfisherthinfisher Posts: 326 Officer
    Sage Typhoon Waist Pack best I've found here http://www.sageflyfish.com/DXL-Typhoon-Waist-Pack.html These are not completely waterproof (zipper on top is water resistant with a flap over) but size is perfect for wading and if I know it's going to get submerged just hoist it up over the shoulder. I use a small waterproof box to carry truck keys in and fishing license just in case. You can find for $99.00 if you hunt around web.

BTW fly shelf and tippet pouch work great...just pull a small section thru grommet hole and you can pull tippets as needed. The large waist pack is too obtrusive for my liking although it actually has a waterproof zipper you can read review here http://www.deneki.com/2009/10/sage-typhoon-waist-pack-review/. Wish Sage had put one on their smaller pack as I would have paid to add one. Neat thing is you can nest your fly rod in against back of pack while changing flies, adding tippet and it will stay put.

One more thing...tried the Sagebrush pack made in Alaska, while these are completely waterproof it's just one large open pack with a waterproof zipper, no separate compartments and nothing to keep the form of the pack in shape. I bought initially thinking it was the ticket but sent it back.

Also if using any serious camera gear I would get the large typhoon for it's waterproof zipper and larger carry capacity. THAT IS ALL MY $.02 for what its worth.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Family, Friends and the Outdoors - Obama = PRICELESS
  • bobbrownbobbrown Posts: 51 Greenhorn
    Orvis makes a great sling pack. I use one for striped bass..not so sure about warm weather flats stalking.
  • MUSKEGON MANMUSKEGON MAN Posts: 51 Deckhand
    I've been using an XSTREAM bag from Seattle. The strap goes over your shoulder, but the bag hangs under your arm. Never had a problem with casting. Holds everything I need for wading on the flats. Got it from Feather-Craft over 10 years ago. Closest thing they have now is the Fishpond San Juan Vertical Chest Pack. If you like it, buy two. The maker is sure to discontinue the product just when you need another one.
  • esoxflyesoxfly Posts: 25 Greenhorn
    Thanks guys. I like the look of that Sage pack. I'll look around for those. Anyone use the Simms headwaters packs? I like all my Simms bags and stuff I have now, just haven't seen their new stuff in-hand.

Hey ODC, in my haste, I swapped letters on "waist" and we're talking about "wasit" packs and I feel like a mornon. No edit button for me on that first post...can you wave your Mod Magic Wand and bail me out?
    300x100.jpg
    Thank you sir.
    300x100.jpg
  • PNWGatorPNWGator Posts: 8 Greenhorn
    I've read enough positive comments about the William Joseph Surge waist pack with it's magnetic closures, well laid out design AND well designed water bottle pockets that it's peaked my interest. Tough to find one that is ideal, but this one is supposedly pretty close.
    Esoxfly; I generally like and have Simm's products in my fishing arsenal, but after reading extensively about posts where the Simms headwater packs leak in a good rainstorm it swayed me to the Sage; no dog in the hunt here one way or other just giving you MO based on research I dug up! Doubt the Sage will leak in a rainstorm due to the flap and semi-waterproof zipper although not yet been tested by me. I have submerged mine momentarily and the inner pocket did not leak; the outer one obviously will as holes exist for tippet material in that one. BTW Sage uses magnetic closures also and one of the features I really like about their pack.
  • ckfrankckfrank Posts: 59 Deckhand
    I use a sling pack by Recycled Waders. It looks like the Wm Joseph used by ODC. As with many good products, they no longer make it. They told me they are working on an updated model.
  • DowntownNashDowntownNash Posts: 182 Officer
    ckfrank wrote: »
    I use a sling pack by Recycled Waders. It looks like the Wm Joseph used by ODC. As with many good products, they no longer make it. They told me they are working on an updated model.

X2, that recycled waders sling was a long time favorite.
    signature.png
  • Chris MChris M Posts: 16 Greenhorn
    I often use a stripping basket and find the waist packs are uncomfortable when worn with the basket. I currently use a Camelbak MULE pack. I realized that the heaviest and most difficult item for me to carry when fishing on foot was an ample supply of water. I went with the pack that was best suited to carry water. The MULE has plenty of pocket space for leader material, a big fly box, tools, etc. and can comfortably carry up to 3 liters of water for those long days on foot in August.
  • mastercastermastercaster Posts: 1,257 Officer
    440_1_charcoal.jpg

+ waterproof boxes / bags inside.

I've been through a couple Simms and Sage waist bags, and while they are nice enough, they are just over priced fanny packs. I also used to go for water resistant stuff, but if your wading any where near waist deep water or rough water your contents are gonna get soaked. Now I just use waterproof boxes for things that don't need to get wet and wade with the intention of the bag getting soaked, just give it a good flushing with the rest of the gear. One thing that I wanted was a water bottle (beer) holder, and that's normally only found on hiking waist packs.
  • Kevin KellyKevin Kelly Posts: 84 Deckhand
    I have two - this one i've used a good bit and like it just fine. The zipper can be cranky, but overall i like it.

And then i have one like this, although not this color. Got it for fishing with a spey rod, but just never got around to trying it out.

May have to try it for flats.
    I ended up ordering the smaller Sage Typhoon and I found the Simms Headwaters from last year on sale, so I got one of those as well. Got the Sage pack today...I'm blown away. What an awesome pack. It's just as cool as can be and is plenty big enough, in fact I'd not want anything larger. The Simms pack should be here Monday or Tuesday, but we're icing up here, so it'll be next spring for carp that I get to use them. Thanks for the recommendations.
    300x100.jpg
    Glad you like it and that I could be of help....that's what these forums are for! :)
    Got my Simms Headwaters in the mail yesterday. Very nice pack as well. It's got alot going on...almost too much. My girfriend said, "man, what is all this stuff for?" and I had trouble telling here what I'd put into all the respective pockets!

Ok, I have a stupid question...how am I supposed to use the neck straps on these packs? Is that for conversion to a sling method of wearing them, or wearing them on the front and the strap around my neck? They're really nice, padded straps, but you obviously don't wear them with the pack where I plan to wear it...on my backside. I understand it's there to help with loadbearing, but I'm curious how I'm "supposed" to wear it and use it. And of course they're removable, so I don't have to use them, but seeing as most every fanny pack has them now, they must be there for a reason. My last time wading fishing was probably 5-6 years ago before all these neck straps showed up so now that I'm seeing them on everything...fill me in.
    300x100.jpg
  • CooterBCooterB Posts: 9 Greenhorn
    2nd the Camelbak MULE.
  • Elk ChaserElk Chaser Posts: 172 Deckhand
    Been thinking about one of these for around 60.00 I think you could use the flap as a rod holder.

Maxpack.jpg
  • bonefishdickbonefishdick Posts: 67 Deckhand
    I have a few fanny packs and they are Ok, the one I like the best also holds a water bottle that can be critical. I live in the NE and do a lot of Striper fishing and wading the flats. A stripping basket is more essential than the Fanny pack and the two just don't work well together. For years I used a Fishpond Fanny/Shoulder bag that worked quite well.

I as previously mentioned earlier by bobbrown I also have just purchased an Orvis Sling Pack. I feel this thing is going to be the perfect ticket. It is light, out of the way and it is so easy to move it to get at any of the items your carrying. I would highly suggest If you have an Orvis store that is accessible in the area to at least try one on and see how well it works and how light it is, even when fully stocked.
    "The Tug Is The Drug"
  • RSMRSM Posts: 3 Greenhorn
    Patagonia has a new one out. It looks big though and not sure how waterproof it is.
  • JimmytalkJimmytalk Posts: 587 Officer
    I have several maxpedition bags including a larger version of the one pictured. They are great bags and made well...but they are heavy. The nylon is heavy weight and if it gets wet it will be like an anchor. I use mine to carry a handgun and some other stuff...so its heavy already. Great bags though when you are on vacation and need to carry a lot of stuff around a city or in the country. I carry mine and throw in some of my wifes stuff so she doesnt have to carry her purse. Provides safety and convenience.
  • swanksterswankster Posts: 23 Greenhorn
    I've been using the Simms Dry Creek Flats Pack (same one as what Kevin Kelly posted). Comfortable, waterproof and gets the job done.
  • johnDjohnD Posts: 6,364 Admiral
    I'm with you there. The chestpack is the most rediculous design for bag, it's almost like they sat down and thought of the most inconvenient and obtrusive place to carry a bag.
    I've been using the William Joseph satchels for close to a decade, but they've stopped making them. I get great deals on fishpond stuff, but they don't make a sling. The sling pack made by orvis is functional but it just doesn't look like it put together very well. My bag is on it's last leg (and it stinks), so I'll be watching this thread closely.

ODC, looks like William Joseph is making a sling pack again.

http://www.williamjoseph.net/gear.php?userChoice=Creel#

http://www.wyomingflyfishing.com/William-Joseph-Creel-Pack-Tech-Series-P3256.aspx

I use a sling pack that got for free from the bank lol..its been going strong for 4 years now. but I'm looking for something different.

Orvis has a new sling pack.

http://www.orvis.com/store/product.aspx?pf_id=5K62&dir_id=758&group_id=781&cat_id=5093&subcat_id=6670

compared to.

http://www.orvis.com/store/product.aspx?pf_id=3H6P&dir_id=758&group_id=781&cat_id=5093&subcat_id=6670
    johnD wrote: »
    ODC, looks like William Joseph is making a sling pack again.

http://www.williamjoseph.net/gear.php?userChoice=Creel#

http://www.wyomingflyfishing.com/William-Joseph-Creel-Pack-Tech-Series-P3256.aspx

I use a sling pack that got for free from the bank lol..its been going strong for 4 years now. but I'm looking for something different.

Orvis has a new sling pack.

http://www.orvis.com/store/product.aspx?pf_id=5K62&dir_id=758&group_id=781&cat_id=5093&subcat_id=6670

compared to.

http://www.orvis.com/store/product.aspx?pf_id=3H6P&dir_id=758&group_id=781&cat_id=5093&subcat_id=6670

I'm going with the patagonia stealth atom.

http://www.patagonia.com/us/product/stealth-atom-sling?p=48325-0-961
  • johnDjohnD Posts: 6,364 Admiral

That's a good looking pack !
  • LeeHLeeH Posts: 121 Officer
    I think yall are spending Way to much money on this. Find an inexpensive camera bag with no metal in it and a velcro or magnetic closure, works just fine.

Spend your money on getting out there fishing not fancy gizmos.
    LeeH wrote: »
    I think yall are spending Way to much money on this. Find an inexpensive camera bag with no metal in it and a velcro or magnetic closure, works just fine.

Spend your money on getting out there fishing not fancy gizmos.

A pack that's unobtrusive, lightweight, comfortable, and durable is going to set you back a few. I don't see the point in spending money on a makeshift pack that's always going to be in your way, or doesn't function the way you need it to. I have more than a few camera bags, and none of them look like anything I'd want to carry around for 30-50hrs a week.
  • LeeHLeeH Posts: 121 Officer
    A pack that's unobtrusive, lightweight, comfortable, and durable is going to set you back a few. I don't see the point in spending money on a makeshift pack that's always going to be in your way, or doesn't function the way you need it to. I have more than a few camera bags, and none of them look like anything I'd want to carry around for 30-50hrs a week.

So if you did'nt have the change for the fancy stuff would you sit home on the couch or make due with what could get you out there and fishing?
    You dont have to spend a pile of cash to have Fun Flyfishing! To many people are getting spooked off from trying it because of all this nonsense about spending Big Bucks.
    No they're not. People spend what they want to spend, just like anything else. If you go to any reputable shop, they'll have a selection of gear that covers the low-mid and high end price point. Nobody here has expressed any kind of obligation to purchase anything, and every suggestion made on this thread has fit within the constraints of the OP's budget. Personally, if I wanted a certain piece of gear that was beyond my budget, I think my time would be better spent off the water trying to make some money, and I definately wouldn't be sitting on a couch.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file