Penn battle 2 combo

New to the forum and inshore fishing,been a bass fishermen all my life but I'm gonna  be moving to punta Gorda from ft Lauderdale soon so I ended up buying a Penn battle 2 combo with 4000 series, to do some inshore fishing for snook,redfish and trout,the rod that came with the combo is just brutal throwing lures all day would a calico Jack or redbone rod be a noticable difference?Thanks guys!

Replies

• MakoLogicMakoLogic Posts: 600 Officer
    I wonder if they've changed the combo rod that comes with it.  I have one and I find it's pretty dang good.  Fast action, light, and balanced well to the reel.   I do like the Calico Jack's as well.
    Fisherman, outdoors enthusiast, and software geek (not necessarily in that order, depending on the day)
    www.makologic.com
    [email protected]

Formerly TxToFl...
  • hooked67hooked67 TamaracPosts: 5 Greenhorn
    I find it heavy throwing lures maybe I'm just use to the real light bass rods.
  • jheiiijheiii Posts: 14 Greenhorn
    Any weight on that rod, and you'll feel it. Then again, I keep 30lb power pro braid on my 4000 combos and take them offshore regularly. Just the way it is on those, but you'll still bring the fish up.
  • Crazy FingersCrazy Fingers Posts: 72 Greenhorn
    I don’t know that rod.  But I do like both redbones and calico jacks.  The calico jack is the best cheap rod on the market IMO - just make sure it has the guides with the ceramic insert. If I remember right, several years back they were selling a version with all metal guides that was inferior.  I’m not sure if they’re still doing that or not. 
  • GarysmoGarysmo Posts: 348 Deckhand
    I have a Penn Battle II combo but it is a lighter one with a 2500 reel.  Are the calico jack rods still made?  I thought they were discontinued.  I wanted to buy one but wasn't able to find one.
  • LTrain1985LTrain1985 Posts: 2 Greenhorn
    Garysmo, check out the Marathon Guardian inshore rods at ****'s.  They seem to me like they're a copycat or replacement of the Calico Jacks.  Iv'e seen them in store and they're practically identical as far as action, handle, etc.

https://www.dickssportinggoods.com/p/marathon-guardian-inshore-spinning-rod-18manumrthngrdnnsroda/18manumrthngrdnnsroda

In my opinion, the Calico Jacks were $100+ rods with a $60 price tag.  I still have a couple to this day that I fish along with much more expensive sticks.
  • Kill_It_N_Grill_ItKill_It_N_Grill_It fort lauderdalePosts: 31 Greenhorn

well you would definatly get a noticeable difference in weight with the other 2 rods if you are looking to build a combo but as a package the battle 2 combo is not bad.  reels are definatly better than the rods and 4000 series was the perfect selection for inshore use.

• Aquaholic IVAquaholic IV Posts: 767 Officer
    edited July 14 #9
    I think the bigger question that no one asked is what type of line and test are you using? Braid casts much easier and farther than mono and 15 to 20 lb. Is sufficient, anything heavier will not cast.  The 4000 is great, I have a few and also the 3000's.  I use only "Star" brand rods, Seagis, 7'6",  with a split butt.
  • timmcollinstimmcollins Posts: 808 Officer
    I never liked the battle combo's but they almost give the rod for free. I use the rods for trade in at Bass Pro and get either Star, or Crowder E series.
    "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, martini in one hand, Cheeseburger in the other, body well used and worn out and screaming WOO-HOO What a Ride!"

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file