just leave this here

ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 8,453 Admiral

Have an opinion on shore-based shark fishing? Now is the time to share. Attend a workshop.

The Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission (FWC) is gathering public input on shore-based shark fishing. Share your thoughts on the future management of this fishery by attending a public workshop.

Workshops start at 6 p.m. local time:

• July 18: Bradenton, State College of Florida, Library and Learning Center – Together Manatee Community Room, 5840 26th St. W.
  • July 19: Ft. Myers, Joseph P. D’Alessandro Office Complex, Room 165 C & D, 2295 Victoria Ave.
  • Aug. 6: Panama City, Gulf Coast State College, The Russell C. Holley and Herbert P. Holley Language and Literature Building, Sarzin Lecture Hall, 5230 W. U.S. Highway 98.
  • Aug. 7: Pensacola, Sanders Beach-Corinne Jones Resource Center – Parks & Recreation Department, 913 S. I St.
  • Aug. 20: South Daytona, Piggotte Community Center, Reception Hall Room, 504 Big Tree Road.
  • Aug. 21: Jacksonville, Jacksonville University, J. Henry Gooding Building – Swisher Auditorium, 2800 University Blvd. N.
  • Aug. 27: Melbourne Beach, Melbourne Beach Community Center, 509 Ocean Ave.
  • Aug. 28: West Palm Beach, Palm Beach County, Department of Planning, Zoning & Building – The Vista Center, 2300 N. Jog Road.
  • Aug. 29: Miami, Miami City Hall – Commission Main Chambers, 3500 Pan American Drive.
  • Aug. 30: Key Colony Beach, City Hall, 600 W. Ocean Drive.

If you cannot attend an in-person meeting, submit comments online by visiting MyFWC.com/SaltwaterComments. Staff is working on an advance copy of the presentation and a virtual workshop that should be available online in the near future. Additional details and updatesto these meetings will be posted at MyFWC.com/Fishing (click on “Saltwater Fishing,” “Rulemaking” and “Workshops.

-----Inline Attachment Follows-----
I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.

Replies

• TarponatorTarponator Under a BridgePosts: 10,137 AG
    Where is this headed?
  • kellerclkellercl Posts: 1,393 Officer
    I see shark fishing from the beach being banned at some point.  Which doesn't personally break my heart.  
  • tankardtankard Posts: 6,368 Admiral
    kellercl said:
    I see shark fishing from the beach being banned at some point.  Which doesn't personally break my heart.  

Camel's nose in the tent. You really think they'll stop there?

BTW there are sharks all over the beach whether or not people are fishing for them.

• relicshunterrelicshunter Posts: 503 Officer
    So if they ban it what happens when you hook into one accidentally? The beach police come running out, bystanders record it for fb and ut, anti people beat on you with their umbrellas as you try to reel it in so you can release it.  
    Just one more push in the wrong direction!
    edited July 12 #6
    tankard said:
    kellercl said:

Camel's nose in the tent. You really think they'll stop there?

BTW there are sharks all over the beach whether or not people are fishing for them.

Make it lure fishing only?  I agree sharks are all over the place, but I'm not a fan of dragging a 8 ft shark up on the beach.  For starters it can't be good for the shark.  Tossing out a 9/0 hook with a 12 inch mullet to fight a 8 ft shark where people are swimming just isn't logical to me.  When I surf fish i do it early in the morning and use lures only.  It simply strikes me as the responsible way to fish the beach.
  • Grouper GeniusGrouper Genius Posts: 1,150 Officer
    So if they ban it what happens when you hook into one accidentally? The beach police come running out, bystanders record it for fb and ut, anti people beat on you with their umbrellas as you try to reel it in so you can release it.  
    Just don't use half a stingray for bait. 
    2400 CC Sea Chaser-Yamaha F250-Bad **** Tower (SOLD)
    Grady White 306 Bimini 300 Suzukis
    Hurricane 246 FunDeck
    Just don't use half a stingray for bait. 
    To this point, I get annoyed when shark fisherman act as though they are doing normal fishing and accidently caught a shark.  We all know what folks with Senator reels and giant baits with steel leaders are doing.  
  • tankardtankard Posts: 6,368 Admiral

Don't most beach shark fishermen operate after dark anyway, when the tourists are gone?

I am just not for banning anything, especially a form of fishing. And to be honest shark fishing does nothing for me either, I've caught enough by accident to be any way entertained by targeting them.

• Reel TealReel Teal Posts: 2,660 Captain
    Let them be. If anything they are educating the swimmers what's out there. Just because you dont do it doesn't mean someone else cant or that its wrong.

For starters we allow catching and releasing 100lb tarpon after a 20 min plus fight, but need a workshop on shark fishing from the beach? Sounds emotionally driven to me.

I think sharks and tarpon are a waste. However I will never knock someone for doing it nor take a stance that someone cant do it. 

I will say, growing up in florida, none of me or my friends can figure out why anyone wants to catch a shark. I avoid sharks at all costs. Only thing I can think of is that it's a northern thing that has caught on.

That's just my take. Those fisherman have a right to the resource and the beach. The restrictions are coming a tiny cut each time.....

• ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 8,453 Admiral
    Where is this headed?
    probably in the wrong direction if folks like kellercl have their way.
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
  • Diego_sosaaDiego_sosaa Posts: 40 Greenhorn
    I don't even shark fish but why does this bother anyone I've never seen a shark fisherman unless its nighttime with no one on the beach. I am positive any reason that someone uses to oppose this kind of fishing makes no sense and most likely thought of by non-fisherman.
    edited July 12 #13
    I don't even shark fish but why does this bother anyone I've never seen a shark fisherman unless its nighttime with no one on the beach. I am positive any reason that someone uses to oppose this kind of fishing makes no sense and most likely thought of by non-fisherman.
    I have a friend who just landed a 7ft shark in broad daylight, on a public beach.  People do shark fish during the day.  My concern is simple, if shark fishing continues the knee jerk reaction will be to ban all fishing....  perhaps I am jaded but I don't view this as "if" surf fishing regulations are coming, but rather "when" and "how."  It seems to me fisherman should drive the regulations in order to ensure they are sensible, as opposed to doing nothing and letting non-fisherman come up with non-logical/overreaching regulation.  
  • DropTheHammerDropTheHammer East CoastPosts: 341 Deckhand
    Bodily functions can refer to one of the following: The functions (i.e. processes) of human or animal bodies, called "systems" in physiology. A euphemism for urination or defecation.
    We all new what we were doing until DropTheHammer showed up.
  • Diego_sosaaDiego_sosaa Posts: 40 Greenhorn
    kellercl said:
    I have a friend who just landed a 7ft shark in broad daylight, on a public beach.  People do shark fish during the day.  My concern is simple, if shark fishing continues the knee jerk reaction will be to ban all fishing....  perhaps I am jaded but I don't view this as "if" surf fishing regulations are coming, but rather "when" and "how."  It seems to me fisherman should drive the regulations in order to ensure they are sensible, as opposed to doing nothing and letting non-fisherman come up with non-logical/overreaching regulation.  
    I think if one type of fishing is banned all of it is up in the air to be banned and shark fishing doesn't necessarily attract them if there is no chumming they are just catching what is already there. 
  • DropTheHammerDropTheHammer East CoastPosts: 341 Deckhand

We all new what we were doing until DropTheHammer showed up.
  • lemaymiamilemaymiami Posts: 2,859 Captain
    I know many, many that took up shark fishing early in their angling career -particularly if they started as bridge or pier anglers.  Most of them, me included, were pretty clueless about how to go about it - and particularly how to handle one once you'd hooked it and brought it in close... As we learned more and more most of us quit fishing for them and went on to fish a bit higher in the food chain.  Shark fishing off the beaches though is very visible and does present some problems.  I hope it can continue with a bit of care for the animals themselves since killing or injuring them makes no sense at all... 

That said, what I hope comes out of this is a recognition that shark fishing can be a sporting proposition - and that not one of them needs to be killed - or handled in such a manner that it wasn't likely to survive when released (dragging a shark of any size up onto the sand for pictures and bragging rights needs to end yesterday...).  Most of the abusive treatment that sharks receive is mostly out of ignorance plain and simple.. 

What I'd like to see is some clear guidelines from the FWC about how to handle a hooked shark (and how not to handle one...) with emphasis on angler safety as well as the health of the hooked critter... Some years ago when I got my first jobs as a mate on charter boats (early 1970's) we killed almost every shark we caught "for the taxidermist" and were well paid for our efforts... What a waste.  Any time, anywhere in the world, that a shark fishery starts killing sharks - you soon run out of them since they just don't reproduce very quickly at all... I'm glad that today most chartermen would not even consider what we used to do - but it will years before the damage we did to local shark populations down here in south Florida is ever repaired....

Me and my anglers have been catching and releasing sharks of every size from a small skiff for years - and we've never killed one (unless another shark piled on one we'd just released...) without the slightest danger to myself or anyone else - some of them up to and over 300lbs on really light gear.  We rarely even leave a hook in one either... As long as they're handled carefully we'll always have sharks to spice up a slow day...  That should be the case as well for beach sharking - all that's needed is a bit of education and some guidelines to follow...

Participate in your local workshops (or write in if you can't attend) I think the FWC will respond fairly.... 
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
  • Kill_It_N_Grill_ItKill_It_N_Grill_It fort lauderdalePosts: 31 Greenhorn
    really hope they don't ban it
    "dragging a shark of any size up onto the sand for pictures and bragging rights needs to end yesterday..."

Absolutely 100% agree.  
  • sigiiligansigiiligan Posts: 87 Greenhorn
    What Captain Bob Lemay said. But I do agree ban one specific type of species beach fishing and more regulations will follow. As is I travel North to at least as far as Jupiter to beach fish, near impossible here in Miami. Hopefully some common sense will prevail.  
  • Mackeral SnatcherMackeral Snatcher Posts: 10,434 AG
    I remember when we had shark tournaments.
    THERE SHOULD BE NO COMMERCIAL FISHING ALLOWED FOR ANY SPECIES THAT IS CONSIDERED OVERFISHED.
  • LostconchLostconch Posts: 69 Greenhorn
    We don't  need FWC fixing anything else. Their fix of one probelm just leads to another. Lures only on the beach OK. What about the guy that just wants to catch a few whiting. I enjoy sitting on the sand with a couple of shrimp out in the surf and I have a boat but just like to go beach fishing once in a while
     We need to remember that Florida has a long coastline and their are no blanket fixes

• lemaymiamilemaymiami Posts: 2,859 Captain
    Remember they're asking for input -and you're right on the money about just how big (and wildly different) each area can be... That's why you need to speak up for your area...

Something to remember about conservation stuff here... When I first got interested in these kind of topics (back in the late seventies  - after I'd already been a mate on different charterboats here in south Florida, early seventies - long before I got my captain's license.... and had joined a fishing club and was actually learning the recreational side of things....).  Back then we lost every battle we fought and watched specie after specie (fishery after fishery....) go into decline -then collapse.... The folks regulating the state's fisheries were at best ineffective - at worst part of the problem... Can't overstate just how important the FWC  has been in restoring and preserving our fisheries.  No I haven't always agreed with some of what they've done but we're in far better shape now than we were before the net ban and the establishment of the FWC...  Your input is needed, though, at every turn since you can never be certain just who has brought up one topic or other....

Maybe, just maybe, we can leave the waters and fish around our state better off than we found them..... No, the FWC has nothing to do with water quality - that's another fight entirely.... 

Maybe that's why I've donated fishing trips for auction and my time for some years now to the CCA (in three different states...). 

I'll get down off of my soap box now....
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
  • ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 8,453 Admiral
    Yep that IRL is in far better shape now than before the net ban  :D
  • XafXaf Posts: 953 Officer
    I have no problem with anyone fishing for them from the beach but I have seen to many people pull them up onto the sand, take a few pictures and then leave them there to die.  I think there needs to be much better education about sharks. I believe many people see sharks as dangerous and a nuisance. 

I have also seen many mates who gaff them to get a $1 hook back or think it's funny to hit the smaller ones on the head with a club then throw them back and laugh as they swim in circles.  If you say something to them they usually respond that there are thousands of them and they are a pain in the a**.  I laugh also because they don't realize it but at this point it effects the size of their tip.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file