Salt Water Newbie

TightlinesBPTightlinesBP Sannibel, FLPosts: 5 Greenhorn
Hey Everyone,
I am primarily a bass guy fish around 20 to 25 tournaments a year.  My dad has a home in Alva and we are starting to spend some time over at Sannibel and Pine Island Sound.  Need to know what are the best rods and reels for Tarpon and Snook fishing.  Also what are some of the best areas to catch live bait.  Any general help in this area is much appreciated.  We have a 21 foot Hewes Redfisher and are ready to go just need a little help getting dialed in over that way.
Thanks!
Brannon

Replies

• Diego_sosaaDiego_sosaa Posts: 40 Greenhorn
    Rod and reel set ups vary from person to person and where they fish. I never leave the house snook or tarpon fishing without my 4000 stradic, 5000 Saragossa and a 6500 spin fisher but I usually fish heavy structure. For bait there is so many different types of baits that are found in different places that all have their places.
  • lemaymiamilemaymiami Posts: 2,859 Captain
    Figure out what type/ style of fishing you want to learn -then book a guide that fishes that area for a day.. You'll learn more in a single day with the right guide than you will in a year on your own.... You might even find a guide willing to step on your boat (for a bit less money) and get you started... 
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
  • TarponatorTarponator Under a BridgePosts: 10,137 AG
    edited July 13 #4
    One good area area to catch bait over there are the flats off Jug Creek.

As for tarpon rods, there are plenty.  I'd pick up a spinning outfit between 7 and 8 feet long and spool it with 40lb braid.

I also agree completely with Capt. Lemay's suggestion to hire a guide -- there's no better way to gain local knowledge, in my opinion.  The only caveat is that I would explain you are local and interested in learning -- some guides appreciate that more than others.
  • DropTheHammerDropTheHammer East CoastPosts: 341 Deckhand
    Agreed

Diego_sosaa said:
    Rod and reel set ups vary from person to person and where they fish. I never leave the house snook or tarpon fishing without my 4000 stradic, 5000 Saragossa and a 6500 spin fisher but I usually fish heavy structure. For bait there is so many different types of baits that are found in different places that all have their places.
    Agreed

lemaymiami said:
    Figure out what type/ style of fishing you want to learn -then book a guide that fishes that area for a day.. You'll learn more in a single day with the right guide than you will in a year on your own.... You might even find a guide willing to step on your boat (for a bit less money) and get you started... 

I've been looking and couldn't come across anything showing the
    patterns and paths that are taken on the open flats when searching
    or sight fishing. It's very involved. It differs from species to species
    time of year and depths. Eventually you end up at A steep drop off, ledge or edge.

"Fundamentals of Poling a Skiff"

We all new what we were doing until DropTheHammer showed up.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file