Interesting Question.......

AC ManAC Man Posts: 3,746 Captain
This is a sociological question asked to a class in college. Here it is.... I you could press a button to kill a peasant in a third world country, would you do it for one million dollars? My answer is not no, but hell no. I bet many of the general public would  do it, but would not admit it.

Replies

• Turner River TerrorTurner River Terror Posts: 5,188 Admiral
    Theirs lot's of folks I'd kill for free..give me 100 buttons...a day.
    But I would not kill a Good Man anywhere for any money..no matter where he's from.
    Killin and Grillin :grin
  • saltyreefersaltyreefer Posts: 134 Deckhand
    No I wouldn't, couldn't live with myself
  • mplspugmplspug Lake Mary, FloridaPosts: 6,240 Admiral
    People die every day.  I'd do it. Where does this country living in the Renaissance era exist anyway?

Captain Todd Approves

• Tarpon65Tarpon65 Posts: 6,170 Admiral
    Show me where the button is.

Always Do Sober What You Said You'd Do Drunk. That Will Teach You To Keep Your Mouth Shut. - Ernest Hemingway
  • micci_manmicci_man Somewhere in FLPosts: 12,181 AG
    mplspug said:
    People die every day.  I'd do it. Where does this country living in the Renaissance era exist anyway?

Really? You'd kill someone you didn't know for no reason other than getting the money? You have issues man.

To answer the question, I would not.

Common Sense can't be bought, taught or gifted, yet it is one of the few things in life that is free, and most refuse to even attempt to possess it. - Miguel Cervantes
  • MelbourneMarkMelbourneMark Posts: 1,483 Officer
    That question is very relevant today with the military/cia doing this on a daily basis from thousands of miles away..  (aka drone strikes)
  • Turner River TerrorTurner River Terror Posts: 5,188 Admiral
    Yea..But the Military is not looking for Good Men to kill..so there's that.
    I'm sure a few innocents die from Drones ect. but you hang out in a bad Hood..you take your chances.

Killin and Grillin :grin
  • treemanjohntreemanjohn Posts: 2,777 Captain
    Is it an instant death? Asking for a friend
    We’re like the piggy bank that everybody is robbing, and that ends President Trump
  • Westwall01Westwall01 Posts: 4,687 Captain
    lol
  • Billy No MatesBilly No Mates Posts: 2,485 Captain
    No I wouldn't, couldn't live with myself
    Seems like the normal humane, moral, decent, non-selfish, righteous, honorable, response.  Apparently not. Quite sad.
  • GardawgGardawg Posts: 7,261 Admiral
    No.

what I want money can't buy
    “Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves.

Heres Tom with the Weather.”
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 8,205 Admiral
    edited July 12 #13
     It's basically would you kill someone for a million dollars.  no.  I have a conscience.  I don't care where they are from.   A person is a person.   

Just don't put that button in front of me when I'm on I4 and tell me i can kill the guy who just cut me off in traffic by pressing it.      
    People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.
  • cadmancadman Home of the Gators Posts: 23,817 AG
    edited July 12 #14
    what if the million went to his village to save 10,000 others from starvation?

the question has been posed in many forms over the years. It ain't a new one. 

Mini Mart Magnate

cadman said:

Let the village kill him then.   
    People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.
  • MelbourneMarkMelbourneMark Posts: 1,483 Officer
    Yea..But the Military is not looking for Good Men to kill..so there's that.
    I'm sure a few innocents die from Drones ect. but you hang out in a bad Hood..you take your chances.

Some estimates are that 75%+ of deaths are not their intended targets..  
  • tankardtankard Posts: 6,374 Admiral
    I thought only girlfriends asked hypothetical questions...
  • FinfinderFinfinder Posts: 9,515 Admiral
  • mustang190mustang190 Posts: 9,408 Admiral
    A good reason sociologist shouldn’t be in charge of anything. 
    2013 Pathfinder 22 TE , 150 Yamaha,
  • TarponatorTarponator Under a BridgePosts: 10,179 AG
    edited July 12 #20
    This experiment seems a bit too direct to me.  Perhaps we might rephrase the question:

Instead of a peasant in the third world, imagine the person being killed as a convicted murder in another country.

Or someone who commits ****.

Or a thief.

Or an adulterer.

At what point don't you take the million dollars?

I think many of us would consider executing a murderer for a million bucks, but at what point does the moral switch kick in for you from "yes" to "no"?
    But the original question is basically would you kill an innocent person for a million dollars. And some said yes!! Amazing.
    What if it was raised to $100 million.

Mini Mart Magnate

But the original question is basically would you kill an innocent person for a million dollars. And some said yes!! Amazing.
    Nothing was said about the person being innocent. t said it was a random person. Could be a good or bad person. You don't since you don't know who it is who dies. You don't know who you killed, that just pushing the button kills someone and you get a million. What if you could push it multiple times and get a million each time but some unknown person dies each time. 

I remember doing something similar to this decades ago in college as part of a class. There were different scenarios to see where people drew the line on what a life was worth. 

Mini Mart Magnate

cadman said:
    What if it was raised to $100 million.
    I think now we're trying to monetize your conscience.  At what point is the money worth more than your moral fiber?   I'd love to say there isn't enough money in the world, but I can't tell you for sure what I'd say if you put 100 million dollars in front of me and told me it wasn't just a random 3rd world person, it was someone harboring terrorists or something like that.  

If it's an innocent person, or a child, I think I have to come to grips with being poor regardless.  This person would have to be someone I'd feel ok with being responsible for their death.  I know that's a heavy handed statement coming from an Iphone owner who's factories have suicide nets at the bottom of them.  
  • AC ManAC Man Posts: 3,746 Captain
    cadman said:

You are correct. The person I know that was asked the question in college is now 80 years old. It was a pretty in depth discussion as he told it.
    cadman said:
    Nothing was said about the person being innocent. t said it was a random person. Could be a good or bad person. You don't since you don't know who it is who dies. You don't know who you killed, that just pushing the button kills someone and you get a million. What if you could push it multiple times and get a million each time but some unknown person dies each time. 

I remember doing something similar to this decades ago in college as part of a class. There were different scenarios to see where people drew the line on what a life was worth. 

Well of course every time you change the scenario the answer is different. The OP said a person who you don't know, and some would kill them for a million not knowing whether they are good or bad. Again, very sad! Some people would kill another person for money! Those are our values these days. The almighty dollar.
    Now ask me if I would press a button that would kill all the outboard thieves and hunting/fishing poachers....I'd probably press that button for chits and giggles.  Throw in a capri sun pacific cooler and seal the deal. 
  • Grouper GeniusGrouper Genius Posts: 1,159 Officer
    cadman said:

Well of course every time you change the scenario the answer is different. The OP said a person who you don't know, and some would kill them for a million not knowing whether they are good or bad. Again, very sad! Some people would kill another person for money! Those are our values these days. The almighty dollar.
    These days? Sorry my man but it's been like that for a loooooong time.
    2400 CC Sea Chaser-Yamaha F250-Bad **** Tower (SOLD)
    Grady White 306 Bimini 300 Suzukis
    Hurricane 246 FunDeck
    cadman said:

When this was done 40 years ago, there were people who would do it for a million. The values haven't changed much over four decades. 

I remember another experiment back in the 80s where they left cars full of stuff on the side of the road to see who stole from them. The amazing part was the families who would stop and rip off stuff,.

Mini Mart Magnate

• conchydongconchydong Pompano BeachPosts: 3,548 Captain
    I wouldn't kill anyone for money.  I wouldn't hesitate killing a enemy of the State for free though. 

“Everyone behaves badly--given the chance.”
    ― Ernest Hemingway

• mplspugmplspug Lake Mary, FloridaPosts: 6,240 Admiral
    This topic has reached peak virtue signalling.

Captain Todd Approves

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file