Bahamas/Bimini - South Florida Small boaters rendezvous & Buddy Boat annoucement

2»

Replies

• starfleetstarfleet Posts: 5 Greenhorn
    I just came across this old post. Does anyone have any recent updates on group crossings or Face Book pages?
    Looking for a May crossing in a 22' CC.
  • Flight RiskFlight Risk Posts: 2,396 Captain
    starfleet wrote: »
    I just came across this old post. Does anyone have any recent updates on group crossings or Face Book pages?

Want to cross this summer too - can't go in May though

Pura Vida!
  • RedneckFshin'RedneckFshin' Posts: 128 Officer
    Just be careful out there people. The gulf-stream is no joke, and weather reports turn south in a moments notice often. I have been crossing the pond since I was a baby, and have had a few trips we were lucky to return to shore. Bay boats are not made for the ocean, hints the name. If you can't afford a larger boat, wait or jump on someone else's boat. Not worth your life.
  • Reel MusselReel Mussel Posts: 235 Deckhand
    starfleet wrote: »

The wife and I plan on going May 28th or 29th till June 1st or 2nd, we have a Cape Horn 19'. Depends on weather, I have the week off so we are flexible. Will probably trailer down to West Palm if I can find parking, if not I will leave from Fort Pierce.... still planning.

Greg,

2017 Cape Horn 24OS

• Plastered2850Plastered2850 Posts: 1,355 Officer
    The wife and I plan on going May 28th or 29th till June 1st or 2nd, we have a Cape Horn 19'. Depends on weather, I have the week off so we are flexible. Will probably trailer down to West Palm if I can find parking, if not I will leave from Fort Pierce.... still planning.

Sure seems would be better for you to
    go to West End.
  • Reel MusselReel Mussel Posts: 235 Deckhand
    Sorry for any confusion, the post a couple up said to West End, and we are hoping to go to Bootle Bay... Leaving from Fort Pierce would be quite a ride all the way to Bimini... lol

Greg,

2017 Cape Horn 24OS

• blindsideairblindsideair Posts: 3 Greenhorn
    Looking for a buddy boat for the trip over the stream. (Wind/weather permitting)

Heading to West End out of Boynton Beach on July 26th - 31st. Crossing in 21' CC. 20-25 cruising in 2' to 3's. 36knts top speed loaded.

Also. Any fishing/rigging/freedive tips for the area would be appreciated.

I don't check PMs too often, Text at 423-fivezerothree-8753
    - Austin
  • johnnycharlestonjohnnycharleston charleston scPosts: 1 Greenhorn
    headed over from haulover marina likely july 31st- aug 4th.  22 ft single engine cruise 20-25.  anyone else interested?
  • fasttimesfasttimes Posts: 165 Deckhand
    Have made the trip in my 19' bay boat no issues. Just need to make sure your boat is tip-top,and do some proper planning. I wouldn't go without tow insurance, an epirb, (sat phone if you can swing it would be great), and spare prop and hub kit. For my Key Largo bay boat I added an external additional gas tank that added an extra 26 gallons to the boat's 40 gallons. The trip from Matheson to Bimini used the 26 gallon tank, cut out right as I entered the channel. I removed the extra tank and put in the room and the remaining 40 gallons i used putting around the islands for the weekend. I then topped off the tanks for the ride home. Worked out great. 

I always stay at Big Game, love the vibe there and never would spend a dime at Resorts World given what they have done to the environment over there. But that's a whole different discussion. 

For those that are 1st timers and are hesitant just know that Bimini is so busy with boaters from Florida, especially on the weekends, that it's rarely ever that I do not have boats in front or behind me making the crossing. Having a buddy boat would be best, but don't let that hold you back. 
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 8,168 Admiral
    That run is on my bucket list for the next 10 years. Just have to get something capable.   

Then of course I read about a guy  a few years ago who stole a BW 13' and made it from Key West to Cuba.     
    People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.
2»

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file