Where the snook at?

This is probably a dumb question but I have been on two different beaches(South Lido Key and Turtle beach on Siesta) and have not seen any snook and have only caught lizardfish. Anyone know of beaches where I can find snook? I'm in the Venice/Sarasota area. 

Replies

• NoreastSalt3295NoreastSalt3295 Posts: 497 Deckhand
    Im a little further south, but hit the beaches as the sun rises and fish the first trough, the snook should be there, especially near a pass. Also fish the passes on an outgoing tide for best success.
  • former bluefishinnyformer bluefishinny Posts: 1,466 Officer
    Turtle is usually good to me. What tides you going on?
  • HOOKED BY NATUREHOOKED BY NATURE Posts: 2 Greenhorn
  • HOOKED BY NATUREHOOKED BY NATURE Posts: 2 Greenhorn
    Live in O'ville

Spent the week of the 4th in Sanibel. Water was pretty void of life. No bait to speak of (saw a few schools of finger mullet 1 day running south and saw a couple of permit surfing the waves and a 3 snook all week. Got this one on a live pin in 1st slough last Thursday. Water was very weedy and green. Intercoastal was pretty brown from all the fresh water dumped recently.
  • FroglizaFrogliza Posts: 17 Greenhorn
    edited July 9 #6
    Turtle is usually good to me. What tides you going on?
    It was incoming tide at turtle I believe but I wasn't there too early I was there at 9:00
    There were a few greenbacks around. I caught a huuge greenback with my castnet.
    Nice snook HOOKED BY NATURE! I think I may try Casperson beach because I always find a lot of different fish there but I haven't gone there in a bit because last week, the water was murky brown with dead fish(including snook) all over the beach. I'll see if it's still bad over there
  • Bottom KnockerBottom Knocker PUNTA GORDAPosts: 21 Greenhorn
    Chartered out of Stump Pass Marina Monday. in the AM a bunch of big snook behind the boat (not floating :)  )
    In the PM MANY BIG GIRLS waiting for handouts...
    I fished the Venice jetties and caught 2 snook and probably had 10 swipe at my lure and missed. Is there a better way to get hooked or are snook just lousy predators?
  • Diego_sosaaDiego_sosaa Posts: 40 Greenhorn
    Frogliza said:
    I fished the Venice jetties and caught 2 snook and probably had 10 swipe at my lure and missed. Is there a better way to get hooked or are snook just lousy predators?
    depends on what you were throwing if i'm throwing a large bait for snook 6 1/2 inch plus sometimes the 20inchers miss it but im not after them anyways
    Frogliza said:
    depends on what you were throwing if i'm throwing a large bait for snook 6 1/2 inch plus sometimes the 20inchers miss it but im not after them anyways
    I was throwing 4" Z man Diesel Minnowz and the snook were all at least 20-22 inches.
  • Diego_sosaaDiego_sosaa Posts: 40 Greenhorn
    Frogliza said:
    Frogliza said:
    I was throwing 4" Z man Diesel Minnowz and the snook were all at least 20-22 inches.
    unless it was weedless you should have caught them i would have thrown a yo zuri jerkbait or xrap for the treble hook on the back

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file