My Dog Bartram's pups, how do you pick a puppy?

CyclistCyclist Posts: 22,540 AG
edited June 20 in Off Topic #1

He sired some pup with a local GSP breeder. 9 total, 5 male and 4 female.

We are gonna pick a female and hope to wait 3-4 more weeks. These pups are 5 days old.

We like the patterns on the two middle ones and the top one looks to have more ticking like Bartram, but time will tell. We like the ticking. The top female is the runt and the left one is the BIG dog of the litter.

I am familiar with some of the methods to pick a pup. Like not the one who **** and bites and is the MOST responsive (can be too dominant and bullheaded) and not the one that is the most timid and people shy (could be suited only as a junk yard dog). The one on the left has a **** pattern at the tail - heehee.

So for the dog people, what would you look for other than color and patterns?

I have owned runt bird dogs before, anything wrong with them?

133cbf2b243368b1ddb2f591a1988076--beach-posters-florida-travel.jpg

Replies

• SaltygatorvetSaltygatorvet TallahasseePosts: 2,089 Captain
    I usually get the runt female 
    You should have been here yesterday
  • SAENoleSAENole Posts: 9,981 Admiral
    Pick the one that likes you.  
    I may be entitled to compensation.
  • FinfinderFinfinder Posts: 9,515 Admiral
    Visit the pups often as you can,  you'll be able to figure out the  personality that is best for what you are looking for.  FYI Those patterns may change at least in other breeds they can.  Good Luck   I assume you are going to spay her ??
  • CyclistCyclist Posts: 22,540 AG
    edited June 20 #5
    Yes on the spaying Fin, don't want to line breed. The first year or so is gonna be trying. Bartram is a humper.

I think the large spots will remain, the thing that is up in the air is the ticking that Bartram has.

• ferris1248ferris1248 Posts: 1,220 Moderator
    Good looking pups and Bartram is a fine looking man.

No idea on picking a pup. I'd probably do what Finfinder said. Observe them until you have to make a decision.
    "That which is hateful to you, do not do to your fellow. That is the whole of the law. The rest is commentary."

Rabbi Hillel (c20 BCE)
  • Dr. BogasDr. Bogas Posts: 509 Officer
    pick one that's curious and brave. pick one you want up turn it upside down in your arms cradle it with one arm and put your other hand on it's belly if it gets scared and is docile not good, if it wants to move around and play is good.   
    Better yet, pick the one with the least amount of liver coloring and name him/her "White Guilt".  

:# 
  • FinfinderFinfinder Posts: 9,515 Admiral
    SAENole said:
    Better yet, pick the one with the least amount of liver coloring and name him/her "White Guilt".  

:# 
    if he gets a male Navin Jr
    Females name candidates are Caden (Dam in Bartram's lineage), Schatzi (German for honey or boo),  Zora (Florida writer).....
    Finfinder said:

if he gets a male Navin Jr

Die, gas pumper!!!!

• Reptile DysfunctionReptile Dysfunction LP - Edge of the Known UniversePosts: 3,077 Captain
    edited June 20 #12
    SAENole said:
    Pick the one that likes you.  
    "If you think health care is expensive now, wait until you see what it costs when it's free" - P. J. O'Rourke
  • pottydocpottydoc Posts: 2,061 Captain
    Good looking GSP (dad). 
  • JohnnyBanditJohnnyBandit Posts: 8,284 Admiral
    Cyclist said:

We are gonna pick a female and hope to wait 3-4 more weeks. These pups are 5 days old.

We like the patterns on the two middle ones and the top one looks to have more ticking like Bartram, but time will tell. We like the ticking. The top female is the runt and the left one is the BIG dog of the litter.

I am familiar with some of the methods to pick a pup. Like not the one who **** and bites and is the MOST responsive (can be too dominant and bullheaded) and not the one that is the most timid and people shy (could be suited only as a junk yard dog). The one on the left has a **** pattern at the tail - heehee.

IF you really want to pick the best dog for you.....
    1) ignore color patterns
    2) ignore the sex of the puppies- this is not written in stone and depends on your future plans. If a pet and hunting companion is your goal. Sex is immaterial.
    3) ignore size.... A runt now means nothing..... Puppies can be conceived as several days apart from a single tie (male breeding the bit ch) and  a week apart if the breeder paired the dogs multiple times. Whelping happens when it happens. It does not wait on the puppies that are several days behind in development.
    4) it is okay to go visit the puppies if you can avoid pre conceived notions....
    5) Commit yourself from making any decision until 7 weeks...
    5a) I do this... Most people do not... Be prepared  to walk away from the litter. Does not mean they are not a great litter. But if the dog that fits you is not there, it is not there.
    6) And this is a BIG one...... Bring someone in to do a Volhard Puppy Aptitude Test on the pups at 7 weeks of age... 49 days is ideal..... 
    Then compare the scores to what you want in the pup.... If you want a pet and occasional hunter A puppy that scores mostly threes and fours is a best bet...

• 4WARD4WARD Cross Creek,FLPosts: 814 Officer
    Congrats Cyclist!
    Sure the right pup will pick YOU.
    "I hate graveyards and old pawn shops
    For they always bring me tears
    I can't forgive the way they rob me
    Of my childhood souvenirs"... John Prine
  • LiveLineLiveLine Wakulla County, FloridaPosts: 1,491 Officer
    Satchel would be a great name
    Cyclist said:

IF you really want to pick the best dog for you.....
    1) ignore color patterns
    2) ignore the sex of the puppies- this is not written in stone and depends on your future plans. If a pet and hunting companion is your goal. Sex is immaterial.
    3) ignore size.... A runt now means nothing..... Puppies can be conceived as several days apart from a single tie (male breeding the bit ch) and  a week apart if the breeder paired the dogs multiple times. Whelping happens when it happens. It does not wait on the puppies that are several days behind in development.
    4) it is okay to go visit the puppies if you can avoid pre conceived notions....
    5) Commit yourself from making any decision until 7 weeks...
    5a) I do this... Most people do not... Be prepared  to walk away from the litter. Does not mean they are not a great litter. But if the dog that fits you is not there, it is not there.
    6) And this is a BIG one...... Bring someone in to do a Volhard Puppy Aptitude Test on the pups at 7 weeks of age... 49 days is ideal..... 
    Then compare the scores to what you want in the pup.... If you want a pet and occasional hunter A puppy that scores mostly threes and fours is a best bet...

Thanks for the info Johnny. We definitely want a female. Bartram visited the Dam for 6 days in a row and only one day he did not do the deed, so they are all his.  We are hoping to wait as long as possible but people are already lining up for pups. We do get the pick of the litter. I know a bit about the Volhard test and will use it to the best of my ability. We basically want a companion for Bartram that was his progeny and the dog will be hunted - we make at least 40 hunts a year.

The most important thing is capability with Bartram and a good healthy dog. We are hoping Bartram will help a bit with the field training.
  • mara5mara5 Posts: 130 Deckhand
    What will the dog be used for? If it's to be a hunting dog, 
                                     1.) Boldness
                                     2.) not skittish
                                     3.) no fears (age appropriate)
                                     4.) nose (use scented objects hidden in yard)
                                     5.) check pup for bite (do teeth align, are all teeth present)
                                     6.) overall confirmation
  • jcbcpajcbcpa Posts: 1,448 Officer
    Bartram is a good looking boy! Those puppies sure are pretty. 
    Cyclist, if you have time, video the pups progress when you visit them and post here for us. 
    I can't give you a sure-fire formula for success, but I can give you a formula for failure: try to please everybody all the time.
    Herbert Bayard Swope
    US editor & journalist (1882 - 1958)
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 8,205 Admiral
    Those are beautiful pups and dad too.    
    People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.
  • bottom feederbottom feeder Posts: 845 Officer
    Take a quail wing and drag it on the floor in front of them, first one that points would be mine.

Leaving Florida... take a developer with you!

• swampwalkerswampwalker Posts: 1,182 Officer
    I've always had a tough time selecting pups. Once you select the one that you "like" the most, never second guess or look back. Most likely they'll all be decent dogs, it's the owners that can make a potentially good dog medocre. Great looking pups - keep us posted.
    The original - "Renaissance Redneck"
    So we picked a pup. Interesting how the colors and patterns have changed. Dramatic. In the first pic posted weeks ago at age one week, our pup is the one on the far right. Almost solid white. Should grow to have similar ticking as Bartram.

Sure is hard to pick out at 4.5 weeks. They all acted similar. Of note, she was not one of the whiners (two makes were), she was moderately active (until they all crashed at once) and the main reason we picked her was her physique, shape and demeanor was similar to Bartram as best we could tell. 

• swampwalkerswampwalker Posts: 1,182 Officer
    Darn that's the one I wanted.... B)
    The original - "Renaissance Redneck"
  • jcbcpajcbcpa Posts: 1,448 Officer
    It would be hard to pick one. They are all pretty.
    Thanks for posting.
    I can't give you a sure-fire formula for success, but I can give you a formula for failure: try to please everybody all the time.
    Herbert Bayard Swope
    US editor & journalist (1882 - 1958)
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 8,205 Admiral
    Why is it the past 4 weeks i've seen more puppies around than in the past 10 years lol.   My doggo gets put down and now all I see are puppies.   It's too soon!   
    People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.
  • Fish HaidFish Haid Posts: 7,924 Admiral

Line them al up and pour each a bottle of beer into a bowl.  First one to finish wins!

23895.gif

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file