lobster in the bay

Found a spiny lobster while snook fishing near Anna maria island I couldn't catch him for a picture sadly but he was a very large one. What on gods green earth has been happening lately ive been catching baby bone fish and now this all of a sudden. Do i have good luck or has anybody else been running into weird stuff lately?

Replies

• CaptJCaptJ Posts: 554 Officer
    Must be fake news
  • sk018sk018 Posts: 2,814 Captain
    I caught the biggest lobster I have ever seen in new pass while spearing sheepshead...I took a pic and released it, I had plenty of lobster in the freezer from the keys..A couple days later my buddy calls me, he is in the dive shop and some guy is showing off the lobster he caught in the pass.  Compared pics it was the same one..
  • m10renm10ren Posts: 109 Deckhand
    My wife caught this baby bonefish bottom fishing last year.
  • Slo Poke1Slo Poke1 Posts: 313 Deckhand
    Not surprised. A former client swore he knew of a dock in Marco Island area that had lobsters. 
  • Slo Poke1Slo Poke1 Posts: 313 Deckhand
    Not surprised. A former client swore he knew of a dock in Marco Island area that had lobsters. 
  • jmac7469jmac7469 Posts: 76 Greenhorn
    Years ago when you could commercially trap grouper they would get in the traps very close to the bay, and not just 1 or 2 of them.
  • ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 8,470 Admiral
    jmac7469 said:
    Years ago when you could commercially trap grouper they would get in the traps very close to the bay, and not just 1 or 2 of them.
    who said? we caught slipper (bulldozers) in the traps but not many spinys plus we weren't allowed to trap roughly inside 10 fathoms (was around 80' west of Tarpon on the 28:10 line)
    Most of the slippers we caught were around the Chicken Neck and farther north up towards the towers.

There were some boats that targeted spinys west of Tarpon in 150'+, they caught some big lobsters for a couple of years.
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
  • jmac7469jmac7469 Posts: 76 Greenhorn
    The boats in the deep water did catch some big bugs for sure. Just a rumor I've heard from a cousin. Didn't ever see it myself. 
  • surfmansurfman WC FLPosts: 3,981 Captain
    I've caught lobster in the Gulf out of St. Pete before in 50' hard bottom but, very few. They are out there. I have caught the slippers too, they ain't worth eating IMO.
    Tight Lines, Steve
    My posts are my opinion only.
  • conchydongconchydong Pompano BeachPosts: 3,548 Captain
    Your the first person I have heard who doesn't like Bulldozers. I like them more than regular Crawfish.

“Everyone behaves badly--given the chance.”
    ― Ernest Hemingway

They had a strong strange taste to me I didn't like em, they are easy to catch though you just stick them in your pocket. Hard as a rock too.
    Tight Lines, Steve
    Ever try pen shells, another one that is ok but, not worth the effort to me.
    Tight Lines, Steve

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file