Any good surf fishing spots in the Sarasota area?

Hi, I am looking for a place to fish in the surf in the area stated. I am in Venice but I would go to anywhere in Sarasota as well. I would use artificials but I will also catch bait if there is any of course. I've heard that the beach swim along the beaches during the summer but with all the beaches around I don't know which one to start at. North of Venice in Sarasota seems to not be as affected from red tide as down here. Casperson beach is still pretty bad.

Replies

• TrevfishinTrevfishin Posts: 505 Officer
    The Blackburn bridge is a great place to fish around during the tide movement. Try Lido Key, Longboat Key, Anna Marie Island. I would say Siesta Key point of rocks area but that’s been hit or miss with Red Tide. The further north you go the better. 

Are you wanting to go somewhere else because of the Red Tide?   The pier and jetty area is pretty good right where you are. 
    Duh, sorry just saw your comment about the Red Tide🙄
  • FroglizaFrogliza Posts: 17 Greenhorn
    Alright I think I'll check out Lido Key for snook on the beach. 
    Just FYI, Lido Key has a public beach that utilize Life Guards and they don't let you fish while they are there.  They don't get there till 10 and leave at 5.  Parking is free, which is good and you can fish outside the protected swimming area when the life guards are there.  The protected swimming area is marked by buoys about 75yds off the beach.  I caught a few lady fish and a small spanish while there, but you can see the snook cruising the shoreline along with sheephead and black drum.  Good luck
    I had no luck there today and I saw no snook but I was at South Lido Key beach so maybe the snook are farther north away from the inlet?
    Well, it's an island, so there's an inlet on both ends...I fished the northern section from where the main road comes into the beach area.  I saw a couple of reports on here that fishing was good on Anna Marie Island as well.  Rumor has it the bridges that connect all the islands along that stretch is good too.
    Ok I'll be sure to check out the bridges.
    Do you know what a good lure/bait would be for the Venice jetties? And the bridges?
    mirrodine...white paddle tail on a jig head, DOA shrimp, DOA Terror eyes...cast out and let it drift with the current...if there's lights around the bridges cast into the shadow line and let it drift through the light popping it every now and then.
  • albacizedalbacized Posts: 25 Greenhorn
    Small, size 6 x raps in 'glass ghost' (pearl) color...but those small sizes won't cull out the little guys and the hooks are a bit flimsy for the big gals- but you'll be busy with that lure. I more so fly fish for snook from that area, but these x raps are what I throw when things get too busy and tight to fly fish. Spanish macs and other critters like them as well. But I will add that I do all this in low light hours. I still get snook during the day, but I have to get down deep along the rocks...
    Thanks for the info. Last summer I saw tons of snook along Casperson beach but red tide has made the water murky and brought in tons of dead fish (mainly pinfish). I think I might try out Siesta Key beach or perhaps Turtle beach in search of the snook.
    check this website, www.visitbeaches.org before you head out....was in Siesta Key a month ago and it was bad...that's why I went to Lido Key...the further north you go the better the water.
    Yeah I have been using this site and Siesta Key is looking good now. It says the water is clear and there is no red drift now. 
  • dcrdcr Posts: 278 Deckhand
    Turtle Beach on south end of Siesta Key.
    The snook should be cruising that first trough area,  Check out point of rocks.  There were some large sheeps at the southern point of that area...went back the next day and the red tide/dirty water had moved in and they were gone...saw schools of 10-20 fish all good size..

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file