Baby Bonefish of Indian Shores Beach

Netted dozens of these guys yesterday. Pretty crazy to see them all schooled up running around. 

Replies

• albacizedalbacized Posts: 40 Greenhorn
    That is pretty crazy...nice
  • Diego_sosaaDiego_sosaa Posts: 41 Greenhorn
    I recently made a post about weird stuff happening just like this, definitely some strange stuff going on.
  • TarponatorTarponator Under a BridgePosts: 10,179 AG
    edited July 10 #4
    That's really interesting & thanks for sharing.  Over the years, I've read reports of bonefish caught around here occasionally, but never a group of juveniles like that! 

I wonder how far north in the gulf a bonefish has ever been caught?  Anyone know?
  • Kokosing LoverKokosing Lover Posts: 411 Deckhand
    I'm really not surprised to see a bunch of juveniles up here.  They spawn in deeper water and the eggs and larvae ride the currents to all kinds of whacky places.  If we start seeing 2-3 year old bones in our neck of the woods, then we know things are really changing around here.
  • GratefulEdGratefulEd Posts: 305 Deckhand
    Dozens eh? That’s awesome! I got a nice one near Ft Desoto about 40 years ago. Thanks for posting 
  • FusionZ06FusionZ06 Posts: 925 Officer
    I'm talking I saw several schools of dozens of them running up and down the beach. At first I thought they were little whiting or croakers. Then when they were in the net I was very surprised to see they were baby bonefish. 
  • BryanCBryanC Posts: 618 Officer
    We get them on sabikis around Honeymoon Island and 3 Rooker from time to time.  Bigger than that, but still small - probably less than a year old.  I don't think they will survive our winter unless they get into a power plant discharge or something like that.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file