French Drain Installation Near Tampa

james 14james 14 Posts: 2,844 Moderator
Just moved into a new (to me) house and with all the rain this week I have a substantial amount of water pooling up between my neighbor's house and mine. It's all on my side so it's my issue to deal with. The worst part is the amount of water next to the house where my garage is and it's seeping into the garage.

The best I can tell is I will need a french drain installed to let the water dissipate and get carried out to the street. I'm having trouble finding anyone online who looks like they do smaller residential jobs like this. Can anyone make a recommendation? I even thought about getting a hold of a local good ol' boy who does septic drain fields and does it right. There don't seem to be a lot of "french drain installers" out there.

Replies

• Sixth GenerationSixth Generation Posts: 113 Deckhand
    Call one of your local plumbing distributors.  They can tell you one of their customers that may do this type of work.  Gorman Company, Hughes Supply, Ferguson Enterprises, Bucks Plumbing Supply...  Start there would be my guess.  Are you in a new neighborhood?  If so your builder is a good place to start.  
  • james 14james 14 Posts: 2,844 Moderator
    I'm actually going up to the septic place next to Bucks later today. The house was built in '05 so I'm not sure what recourse I'd have with the developer even though it's certainly their screw up with how the grading was done.
  • saltyreefersaltyreefer Posts: 134 Deckhand
    I deal with the same situation. Interested here. 
  • restlessnativerestlessnative Posts: 1,980 Captain
    edited July 4 #5
    You have a few options, depending on your set up. If there is a low spot dig a hole the size of a garbage can and fill it full of rocks. It will contain it some for you but I don’t know if that will be enough. French drains need to be piped somewhere to be effective. I can’t remember the slope off hand, but if it goes lower than the pipes at the street from where the drains are it’s not an option. Lastly you could dig a small retention pond (for lack of better description, or a swale if you will) on the side for it to collect to so it doesn’t go in to your garage. At least that’s the options I was given as it happened to me too when the vacant lot next to me had a house built on it. Obviously either the codes for runoff collections on new houses are wrong or the inspectors passed something that shouldn’t have. Pizzez me off to no end. I’ll look up the guy I used and PM it to you, he did a pretty good job for what he had to work with and I had a couple contractors double check his methods and work. He put in French drains and piped it to the alley.
  • treemanjohntreemanjohn Posts: 2,777 Captain
    Do you have a few pictures?
    We’re like the piggy bank that everybody is robbing, and that ends President Trump
  • Gary SGary S Posts: 718 Officer
    Find a paving contractor, they deal with water removal all the time with the streets. Everything they do isn't paved.
  • cadmancadman Home of the Gators Posts: 23,817 AG
    It may have been fine in 2005. Was the house next door built after yours?  My guess is something changed after the house was built and changed the direction of the water runoff. Seen it a few times in commercial properties and it can happen in residential. I think you need a sewer guy to install you an underground drain to move the water to where you want it to go.

Mini Mart Magnate

• Gary SGary S Posts: 718 Officer
    Another thought is, if your neighbor has added fill to his yard that redirects the water to your yard, that is illegal. You cannot send your runoff to someones property.
  • LostconchLostconch Posts: 69 Greenhorn
    I had a similar probelm. I put the pipe that attachs to the down spout(I don't know the technical name ). I dug a hole that fit a large plastic tote. Put the drain pipe in and covered it with pressure treated dock boards. I put new sod on the boards. It works good for all your garden variety thunderstorms. The 20 inches of rain from Alberto not so much.
  • LostconchLostconch Posts: 69 Greenhorn
    I cut the bottom out of the tote
    So now the carpet in my daughter's bedroom is damp.
    I do have pictures but they were taken at night and are hard to see.
    Its a subdivision so all of the houses were built at the same time.
    Restlessnative I would appreciate a recommendation if you thought they did a good job.
  • SansPeurSansPeur Orlando, FLPosts: 133 Deckhand
    I had this same problem in a house I built. The entire front yard would fill up and stay that way. I put two french drains about 10" down and directed it to a 33 gallon plastic drum. I drilled holes all around the drum, lined the outside with the weedstop gabrick and put a pump in the bottom of the drum. Burried the pump drain all the way to the curb and it would drain away. Worked like a charm. It even lowered the water table in the yard which helped even more.
    Since 2004 as ReelDreams.
  • ParkerboyParkerboy Posts: 6,785 Admiral
    Those drums filled with rock mentioned several times are "dry wells". Any plumber or landscaper can address the issue and I would choose a landscape firm as they are probably cheaper than a plumber.
    Deo Vindice
    Parkerboy said:
    Those drums filled with rock mentioned several times are "dry wells". Any plumber or landscaper can address the issue and I would choose a landscape firm as they are probably cheaper than a plumber.
    I've finally found some landscapers who do exactly what I need. In my previous searches I wasn't using the correct terminology. The DIY in me really wants to hit the yard with a shovel right now but the HOA probably won't like that. However, if I get water in my daughter's room again they may have to deal with it until I can get the experts out.
  • Reptile DysfunctionReptile Dysfunction LP - Edge of the Known UniversePosts: 3,077 Captain
    james 14 said:
    Parkerboy said:
    I've finally found some landscapers who do exactly what I need. In my previous searches I wasn't using the correct terminology. The DIY in me really wants to hit the yard with a shovel right now but the HOA probably won't like that. However, if I get water in my daughter's room again they may have to deal with it until I can get the experts out.
    Please let us know how things turn out.
    "If you think health care is expensive now, wait until you see what it costs when it's free" - P. J. O'Rourke
    First quote came in at $5575...not quite what I was looking for. Another guy is coming out Monday.
  • treemanjohntreemanjohn Posts: 2,777 Captain
    Had annoyi suggested posting pictures? You might get some help here
    We’re like the piggy bank that everybody is robbing, and that ends President Trump
  • Turner River TerrorTurner River Terror Posts: 5,188 Admiral
    For 5 K you could get 18 Yards of 1 Minus and a Trench 50 ft' long...That's pretty high..
    It's a simple job just a lot of digging and wheelbarrow work.
    Killin and Grillin :grin
  • Fish HaidFish Haid Posts: 7,924 Admiral

Dig a ditch and fill it with the 4" black corrugated pipe with slits in it.  Stack in as many layers and rows of pipe as you can fit, and as long as you can make it.  Put end-caps on pipe.  Maybe 3 pipes side-by-side stacked 3 high (for example), or a 3-2-1 pyramid.  Wrap it all in the drainage fabric to keep silt out of the pipe.  It doesn't have to flow to anywhere.  Just gives the water a place to stay until it soaks into the ground.

Sold in 100' rolls, so plan geometry to use a whole roll (or 2, if you need that much).

You can also use this for drain field on septic (if you are sly).

23895.gif
    I got another quote for less than half of the previous quote. All gutters will be tied directly into the system along with 5 surface drains installed. Most of the system will consist of perforated PVC surrounded by wash rock and wrapped in fabric. It will be both a french drain and it will carry water out to the street. I was leery of the black corrugated piping because I was told by a few guys on the commercial side that it'll eventually fail either by crushing or getting clogged up. The PVC is stronger (still has holes for drainage) and the surface drains will catch most debris before it gets into the french drain portion.

Nothing is a guarantee but I feel good about this being able to get the water out to the street more quickly (or at all). I'm also having the gutters extended on that side of the house so none of that water will be streaming down along the foundation.

I'll post an update next week after it's done and we get the first good rain.
    Fish Haid said:

Dig a ditch and fill it with the 4" black corrugated pipe with slits in it.  Stack in as many layers and rows of pipe as you can fit, and as long as you can make it.  Put end-caps on pipe.  Maybe 3 pipes side-by-side stacked 3 high (for example), or a 3-2-1 pyramid.  Wrap it all in the drainage fabric to keep silt out of the pipe.  It doesn't have to flow to anywhere.  Just gives the water a place to stay until it soaks into the ground.

Sold in 100' rolls, so plan geometry to use a whole roll (or 2, if you need that much).

You can also use this for drain field on septic (if you are sly).

There is so much water that it really needed to flow somewhere. I think I calculated over 2000 gallons during some of the heavy rainfalls we've had recently. I think I know what you're talking about as we used a similar product when we had our drain field replaced in our old house.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file