Favorite inshore lures

kangadrewkangadrew Posts: 23 Greenhorn
Hello, 

I'm staying in Cape Coral for a week and want to know what lures you've had the most success with when fishing inshore. I'm looking for lures that just flat-out catch fish. I'll have live bait gear, but I want to bring a few artificials too. 
On my lighter rig, I want to try and catch trout, smaller snook, mangrove snapper, ladyfish, spanish mackerel, pompano, smaller jacks, flounder, and maybe even some "trash" fish - like houndfish, or lookdowns. 
On my heavier casting rig, I want to try and catch barracudas, jacks, snook, and maybe even tarpon if I'm lucky. 

Does anybody have suggestions for lures that can cover all or almost all the species on these lists (obviously different lures for the fish on the lighter setup or the heavier setup)? 
Tight lines,
Drew

Replies

• kellerclkellercl Posts: 1,393 Officer
    Mirrodine, doa popping cork, gold spoon and cal weedless jig are my top 4.  I've stopped buying/using other lures.  The four above seem to be all I need.
  • DropTheHammerDropTheHammer East CoastPosts: 341 Deckhand
    Spanish mackerel, cuda, jacks like A fast retrieve. Possibly
    skipping on the top. Snook, trout, tarpon can be caught on
    A fly. Houndfish are on top, lookdowns hold structure on
    bottom. I'm going with A ballpark answer. A Kastmaster
    and A surf bait rig.

Crome split ring and barrel swivel. What hook would you recommend?
    What if it doesn't work. Is the kid going to pull A tantrum?

We all new what we were doing until DropTheHammer showed up.
  • kangadrewkangadrew Posts: 23 Greenhorn
    Spanish mackerel, cuda, jacks like A fast retrieve. Possibly
    skipping on the top. Snook, trout, tarpon can be caught on
    A fly. Houndfish are on top, lookdowns hold structure on
    bottom. I'm going with A ballpark answer. A Kastmaster
    and A surf bait rig.

Crome split ring and barrel swivel. What hook would you recommend?

Thinking maybe a spoon for the Spanish and smaller barracudas, and jacks and houndfish too. 
    Snook and trout - I'll probably have DOA shrimp, I used them in Florida the last time I went and they worked well. I don't fly fish at all, so I'll be doing live bait and some artificials. 
    No clue what that last part meant - could you elaborate?

Drew
  • kangadrewkangadrew Posts: 23 Greenhorn
    kellercl said:
    Mirrodine, doa popping cork, gold spoon and cal weedless jig are my top 4.  I've stopped buying/using other lures.  The four above seem to be all I need.
    Noted - I'll be sure to pick a few of each up for the trip!
  • tankardtankard Posts: 6,368 Admiral

Zoom flukes on a jighead work really well for me.

• Jack HexterJack Hexter New Port RicheyPosts: 4,150 Moderator
    All lures catch fishermen, fishermen catch fish

• backwatercolebackwatercole Posts: 26 Greenhorn
    tankard said:

Zoom flukes on a jighead work really well for me.

X2
    kangadrew said:

Thinking maybe a spoon for the Spanish and smaller barracudas, and jacks and houndfish too. 
    Snook and trout - I'll probably have DOA shrimp, I used them in Florida the last time I went and they worked well. I don't fly fish at all, so I'll be doing live bait and some artificials. 
    No clue what that last part meant - could you elaborate?

Drew
    Fishing is based on trial and error. What works one day isn't necessarily going to work the next.
    I like to fish with A lot of people. It can be competitive. At times you'll notice one girl catches
    better than the next. What's she doing different? What's she doing that's bettering her odds
    and the girl that catches the least  has a guide dinged off and A reel that skips. She ends up
    catching the biggest out of dumb luck. מבין
    This would be A surf bait rig that I would use for pomps. ;)
    Obviously different species.

• GarysmoGarysmo Posts: 348 Deckhand
    DOA paddle tails are pretty good for reds , snook and trout.  Silver spoons for Spanish mackerel but remember to retrieve them really fast for the Spanish mackerel. 
  • capt_steve93capt_steve93 StuartPosts: 3 Greenhorn
     It’s pretty hard to beat a live shrimp on a popping cork but you can also use DOA shrimp. 
    Nativefishingcharters.com - Stuart Florida inshore offshore fishing guide service 
  • sigiiligansigiiligan Posts: 87 Greenhorn
    DOA shrimp under a rattling clacker popping cork all day long. Preferred color for me is "natural brown", but I've done well with the white color also. Should cover almost all the species you are targeting, with the exception of spanish macks. As said earlier by others you also can't go wrong with a gold spoon. Only other lure I've not seen mentioned that i'd suggest would be a  devils horse.  
  • Kill_It_N_Grill_ItKill_It_N_Grill_It fort lauderdalePosts: 31 Greenhorn
    personally I use and HIGHLY favor Yo-Zuri lures.  mainly the crystal minnows and 3ds minnows.  you can get the crystals in a variety of sizes.   you can twitch, swim and even troll them for tremendous success.  also have been using the voodoo shrimps on grass flats and near pilings, and underwater lights and they have been kicking some serious A**.   best colors for me are brown and white with yellow tail.   I like to bounce the off bottom and jig them,  snappers and snook are likely to smash these and they swim better than all other shrimp jigs out of the pakage, tried em all...  I have used these from stuart down and around all the way from big pine key to 10,000 islands

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file