Tide vs time of day?

KableguyKableguy Posts: 1 Greenhorn
I'm new to fishing Florida and new to saltwater. I fish mainly from shore or near shore. My question is this. In Ohio where I'm from during the summer the best times to fish are right at sunrise and sunset. I would be on the water at sunup and the bite usually dies off by 10AM. I know that tide greatly affects fishing here. If the best tide flow of the day is let's say at 11:00 AM  is it better to be on the water at sunup or during the best tide time. Just fishing for inshore/near-shore species. I know fish will seek shade from the hot sun, but will they bite during the day? Thanks.

Replies

• Rich MRich M Posts: 961 Officer
    You will find that it varies.  LOL!

Tide has a lot of influence in areas with current flow - outgoing often trumps incoming - but not always.

Flats & surf  fishing is often best in the early hours of the morning.

Feed periods often have some effect - you need to journal your fishing for a while and see if it makes a diff where you fish.
  • DropTheHammerDropTheHammer East CoastPosts: 341 Deckhand
    Yeah we know.

Ball park answer. Magic hour, new moon, during an ebb or flood.
    It varies from species to species, time of year or season and location.
    Nothing is written in stone. ;)

How do you know?

rod, real, line, rig, components. one does more than the other.
    They all work together.

I have A big inventory. We have A little of A lot. The industry is massive.
    I'm sorry we don't carry that, but a majority of my customers are asking me for this.

I'll show you. ;)
    We all new what we were doing until DropTheHammer showed up.
  • DrKDrK Posts: 231 Deckhand
    The answer is yes, they will bite once the tide moves even in the middle of the day but it becomes golden when the sunrise and sunset synchs with tide movement.  Looking at the situation you presented, the bright side of it is that they just might be biting the whole day.  
  • GarysmoGarysmo Posts: 348 Deckhand
    I usually go more by tide if I'm fishing the beach/surf.  For inshore I fish the shallow mangroves and I usually fish late mostly because that's when I go out.  I've caught fish in high and low tide....for me mostly dependent on water quality
  • mikenavmikenav Posts: 647 Officer
    I always go by tide more than time of day. If it's going to be rolling out of the inlet at 11:30 a.m., I get out there about 11 or so, just to get set right and make sure I'm there when they're likely to be biting. That said, sunrise and sunset will almost always get you some action, even if it's not the specific type -- snook, tarpon, etc. -- that you're looking for. 
  • ljkljk Posts: 47 Greenhorn
    I lived in the Keys for 12 years.  Most of my fishing buddies lived there longer, and some were/are commerical fishermen.  We found that the tides and moonphase (apps like Tides4Fishing) were influences, some days more than others. 

But we found the overriding factor to be time of day.  Sunrise and sunset, and the hours before and after both, were when we had the best fishing, most of the time.
  • saltybluegrasssaltybluegrass Posts: 53 Greenhorn
    edited July 7 #8
    does anyone use this?  https://www.tide-forecast.com/locations/Stuart-Saint-Lucie-River-Florida/tides/latest
    we also have a new moon coming. 
    i’ve been fishing the incoming tide off the beach but reading here , i may switch to outgoing. 
    I thought the high tide would make predation easier close to shore in deeper water. Guess i’ll throw out further 
    This weeks high tide is going to be somewhat next weeks low tide.

On low tide I find it easier to read structure. You are anticipating. How do I better the odds?

https://tidesandcurrents.noaa.gov/education.html

A tin squid
    A wobbler
    A diamong jig

In lame mans terms they're all considered spoons.

There's no numbers. Put numbers on them. Color by numbers.

• ScoutboatScoutboat Posts: 1,745 Captain
    Fishing the tides have nothing to do with the time of day.
    Fish the first of the incoming and the last of the out going.
    When water movement is at the greatest.
    Jim 
    edited July 7 #11
    Flood vs Ebb tide period
    Spring vs Neap tide period
    ocean current speed
    Slack high and Slack low

What do you call a clairvoyant midget who escaped from prison? A small medium at large.

When the height of the land increases, the sea level falls and when the height of the land decreases the sea level rises. Isostatic change is a local sea level changewhereas eustatic change is a global sea level change. During an ice age, isostatic change is caused by the build up of ice on the land.

A sea level rise is an increase in global mean sea level as a result of an increase in the volume of water in the world's oceans. Sea level rise is usually attributed to global climate change by thermal expansion of the waterin the oceans and by melting of ice sheets and glaciers on land.

It is highly insoluble in sea water and in a variety of locations is the limiting nutrient for phytoplanktongrowth. Large algal blooms can be created by supplying iron to iron-deficient ocean waters. These blooms can nourish other organisms. sequestration and ecological effects.

pho·to·syn·the·sis
    ˌfōdōˈsinTHəsəs/
    noun
    1. the process by which green plants and some other organisms use sunlight to synthesize foods from carbon dioxide and water. Photosynthesis in plants generally involves the green pigment chlorophyll and generates oxygen as a byproduct.

• FishInFLFishInFL Posts: 1,972 Captain
    @DropTheHammer - **** is all that supposed to mean?

the OP understands the difference but is curious whether more value should be placed on the time of day or the tidal movement.  It’s a good question.

Scoutboat said:
    Jim 
    FishInFL said:

the OP understands the difference but is curious whether more value should be placed on the time of day or the tidal movement.  It’s a good question.

You trust me?

• FishInFLFishInFL Posts: 1,972 Captain
    **** I fell for the troll!  Well done
  • saltybluegrasssaltybluegrass Posts: 53 Greenhorn
    FishInFL said:

i was gonna resound w- 
    I agree with your assumptions however , do you like chartreuse over yellow? 
    edited July 8 #16
    It's repetitive. It all matters on the species.

• Rich MRich M Posts: 961 Officer
    I do enjoy the obnoxious attitude.  The statement about it depending on the species is dead on.

FL is loaded with fish and they all have slightly to totally different habits.  Figure out what you want to catch and then figure out how to catch them.
  • SaltygatorvetSaltygatorvet TallahasseePosts: 2,078 Captain
    FishInFL said:

Jesus, really!!!. His thoughts are all over the place. I can never understand what he’s trying to say. I appreciate the enthusiasm, but I have to scroll through without reading cause I just get confused 
    You should have been here yesterday
    Scoutboat said:
    Jim 
    FishInFL said:

You trust me?

No, cause I can never understand what your trying to say... what does any of it mean???
    Reading structure at low tide.
    wind against tide. Ledges, channels

Ray Charles

There was never a fence.

The Joseph P. Addabbo Memorial Bridge (formerly the North Channel Bridge) located in the New York City borough of Queens, is a bridge that runs south from Howard Beach across the Grassy Bay portion of Jamaica Bay to Broad Channel. The fixed bridge, carrying six lanes of Cross Bay Boulevard is named for the late Joseph P. Addabbo, who represented the area in the United States House of Representatives from 1961 to 1986

The equipment that was useed to put a bait in the channel was
    bar·bar·ic
    bärˈberik/
    adjective
    1. savagely cruel; exceedingly brutal.
    2. primitive; unsophisticated.
    You can't find it at K-Mart or **** sporting goods
    If you walked into the B&T you wouldn't see it.
    You would have to know what to ask for, it's custom
    For that reason when people would watch it was kind of intimidating.
    I'd like to start some where else. Big fish just laying there.

We put A fence there.

Construction startOctober 25, 1988

We never had this problem before. ;)

edited July 8 #22
    Again, totally all over the place and utterly confusing. Could you just say what you want to say without the videos and cut and paste? Do you really expect someone to watch a 3 min video to try to understand your point. It’s you not me
    I'll explain it to you It's easy. Certain times of the month there's more flow.
    That's when you want to be there. In the wee hours of the night when there's
    no traffic and sending out vibrations. It's quiet and this is when it all happens.

• Kill_It_N_Grill_ItKill_It_N_Grill_It fort lauderdalePosts: 31 Greenhorn
    most of my best luck for inshore happens to fall with the outgoing tide. but it does greatly apply to water conditions and most importantly, what type of fish are the target for the day.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file