Two pretty good days

My niece and her husband came over from Texas to visit my daughter and SIL and they all came down to Cape Haze for some fishing.  SIL had to work Tuesday, so nephew and I left Cape Haze marina about 6:45 AM.  We went south and bought 4 dozen shrimp at Eldreds.  We caught fish every place we stopped either on shrimp or soft plastic.  Nephew (in-law) brought some Deep South jigs and unpainted jig heads from Texas.  He definitely caught more fish than I did using Cal Shads and painted jig heads.  He even caught a shark on one.  Decent day overall, kept one Spanish Mackerel, one trout, and two mangos.  We probably caught 15-20 trout, a bunch of small mangos, and of course catfish (some on jigs), jacks, and lady fish.  

On Wednesday, SIL could not get down until 9:00 AM, so nephew and I went north to Stump Pass and bought 5 Dozen shrimp.  By 8:30, we had put 8 Snook in the boat and at least twice that many mangos, and nephew caught a small grouper.  Nephew asked what it was and I told him it was a grouper, he said that grouper and Snook were both on his bucket list and he caught both in the same morning.  All on shrimp.  

On the way to pick up SIL, we bought 3 dozen more shrimp.  Picked up SIL at the marina and headed south. No more Snook, but the trout bite was on fire.  We probably caught fifty trout, but only three over sixteen inches.  We ran out of shrimp both days, but fished artificials until we ran out of beer.  SIL caught another shark on one of the Deep South jigs.  

Nephew said Tarpon was also on his bucket list.  I am pretty sure he will be coming back.

Replies

• newbotenewbote Posts: 30 Greenhorn
    How was the red tide - sounds like no issue but the reports seems to be getting worse!
  • larrywittlarrywitt Posts: 2,510 Moderator
    Nice report. You did put them on fish.
    larrywitt
  • Bottom KnockerBottom Knocker PUNTA GORDAPosts: 21 Greenhorn
    Picture of Deep South Jig? Thanks
  • ez3puttez3putt Posts: 6 Greenhorn
    My place is directly across Placida Rd from the Cape Haze Marina.  I have been down here for ten days.  I saw a few dead fish floating last Wednesday, but not anywhere near what was reported on the news and social media.  I think it must be pretty isolated.  Apparently, the Boca Grande beaches were pretty bad a week ago Tuesday, but I cruised the Palm Island beaches the day after and they were clean.  I know people that came down last weekend and almost immediately went back due to eye and throat irritation.  The sand bar at the trestle was pretty packed on the 4th.  I have seen almost no dead fish at all the last few days.  I guess the short answer is that conditions are improving, at least from Stump Pass to Bull Bay.
    Picture of Deep South Jig? Thanks
    They all went back to Texas!  I am going to have him send me some.
    My bad, Down South, not Deep South.  
  • Capt Dan MedinaCapt Dan Medina Posts: 621 Officer
    sounds like a pretty good inshore bite!
    www.SaltyFishingCharters.com 33 Ft World Cat Tournament Edition Catamaran
    Offshore Fishing Charters FT Myers, Sanibel, Captiva, Cape Coral
  • YGAYGA Posts: 18 Greenhorn
    Personally saw scores of dead fish (including a manatee and several sea turtles) in Lemon Bay and on Englewood Beach. Air was disgusting, toxic. We said to hell with it and drove to the Keys. When life gives you lemons...

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file