6/24 Jupiter Bonita rodeo

With my rig nearly 100% recovered after the driveway lightening strike, I rolled out Jupiter with a forum friend looking to put a blackfin in the box.  Flat as it was, I thought I'd pull six, but my rust showed and I had left the outriggers in the driveway.  As scattered minds work, I remembered the center rigger.  Still 5 line out, one as armed teaser and four proven tuna baits.  We quickly wore ourselves out on stud bonita, but never found the blackfin.  One of the bonita saved for bait scaled out at 16 pounds, and I know we release one or two others this size too.  We later pushed deeper to look for dolphin, but only hooked dork jacks.  The scattered weed was really bad outside of 600.  Weed patches, lines, and scattered mess were everywhere from 70 to 700.

Now if I can just take control of this NEMA2000 and Bluetooth on the new VHF, Stereo, and ActiveCaptain Garmin stuff.   I've lost all my settings and such on my GPS/Sonar, so today I work on recreating that.  >:)

Replies

• FishNfoolFishNfool Posts: 142 Deckhand
    I went out with the kids yesterday.  All we managed was two Bonito.  The kids had fun with them.
  • taymagtaymag Delray Beach, FLPosts: 707 Officer
    What did you catch the bonita on (first time anyone's ever asked this lol)? I need a few for bait... usually cant keep the off the lines but none this year
  • bmoodybmoody Posts: 914 Officer
    Any tuna appropriate lure should work -- rattle jet, mini turbo slammer, tuna feather, etc.
    If drifting, a 5/0 circle in the nose of a sardine sickle should do too
  • Fireman BillFireman Bill Posts: 546 Officer
    I fished Thursday and Friday we found a lot of short and barely legal dolphin from about 1400 ft. to 1800 ft. on large patches of grass.  There was scattered grass everywhere.

Fireman Bill
  • GarysmoGarysmo Posts: 356 Deckhand
    Lots of posts about bonita sounds like there are a lot around.   Definitely fin to catch
  • albacizedalbacized Posts: 40 Greenhorn
    taymag said:
    What did you catch the bonita on (first time anyone's ever asked this lol)? I need a few for bait... usually cant keep the off the lines but none this year
    It's kind of funny, and I haven't figured out the real answer yet (although I suspect it's related to the bait). But when I'm visiting down there (usually off Juno Pier), I can catch all of the what you call 'bonita' we want on everything but the kitchen sink. But here in New England (south side of Cape Cod and New England), our 'albies' can be sickly stubborn and very difficult to catch. But the beauty is that you can stand on a rock  and fly fish for them up here...I tend to think that's why poeple up here hold them in higher esteem than you guys down there, where it's mostly a boater's game and they often get in the way of other targeted fish
  • albacizedalbacized Posts: 40 Greenhorn
    PS - but with that said, sometimes our albies can be as easy to catch as the ones down there

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file