Why you should always wear PFD's

Here's a video from a friend of mine. (Plane Fish N) He came across a run away boat circling two guys that were thrown over board. 
***Warning***  ADULT LANGUAGE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7rObtLoi07Q&feature=youtu.be

Replies

• TunachaserTunachaser Posts: 150 Deckhand
    WOW is all I can really say.  .  .WOW on so many different levels. Scary situation for sure.
  • Fireman BillFireman Bill Posts: 544 Officer
    It is not so much the pfd it is the little lanyard  that is clipped to the ignition key rather than your belt.

Fireman Bill
  • flknifemakerflknifemaker Posts: 109 Deckhand
    edited June 24 #4
    Yea without a doubt they were in the wrong , glad that one guy made the appropriately timed and well warranted comment that they are “****ing idiots”. Good for him?

happy no one was hurt...
  • LMKLMK Posts: 545 Officer
    Wow now that is really something, scary as all hell. 
  • butts182butts182 Posts: 158 Deckhand
    Next time try throwing some dock lines in the path of the boat...if you want that liability
  • copperzcopperz Posts: 96 Greenhorn
    seriously, who wears that lanyard. 
  • Erik GErik G Posts: 9 Greenhorn
    Nobody wears the lanyard, that's why I bought the https://buy.fellmarine.com/mob-basepack.html   If I fall overboard everything shuts off. Tried the Auto tether before, but it malfunctioned pretty soon. My biggest fear is to have boat on auto-pilot, fall overboard 10 miles offshore and have the boat continuing to the Bahamas. 
  • bmoodybmoody Posts: 914 Officer
    copperz said:
    Tournament bass anglers do.  When fishing alone I make an effort although not 100%.  I've now added the wireless kill switch, and I'll think you'll see me using/wearing that 100% of the time now, even when not solo.
  • GarysmoGarysmo Posts: 348 Deckhand
    Unbelievable.....
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 8,168 Admiral
    I saw that on FB yesterday I don't know how they got into that mess but I  imagine it could happen to anyone.   
    People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.
  • Dr. BogasDr. Bogas Posts: 508 Officer
    copperz said:
    I do fish, solo a lot 
  • FishNfoolFishNfool Posts: 142 Deckhand
    Erik G said:
    Nobody wears the lanyard, that's why I bought the https://buy.fellmarine.com/mob-basepack.html   If I fall overboard everything shuts off. Tried the Auto tether before, but it malfunctioned pretty soon. My biggest fear is to have boat on auto-pilot, fall overboard 10 miles offshore and have the boat continuing to the Bahamas. 
    That's what happened to Rob Konrad.  His boat was found in the Bahamas
  • CoastalCatchCoastalCatch Posts: 292 Deckhand
    edited June 25 #14
    I never fish more than 10 miles out because that's the distance I can comfortably swim.
    ...but I usually take a friend along to keep my wife sweet because she doesn't think I can still swim that far...  o:)  (former professional lifeguard and ironman competitor)

'The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it.' ~ George Orwell

• ShoelessShoeless Posts: 2,092 Captain
    "These are expensive, but I don't want to loose my jackets guys to these guys. I really don't"

"That's not cheap those are expensive"

Are you **** kidding me?  In a life and death situation, Eric is more concerned with the cost of a lifejacket.  I'm sorry, but that's absolutely insane.

Always wear some type of lanyard system.  

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Flight RiskFlight Risk Posts: 2,396 Captain
    copperz said:
    Very few - especially with other folks aboard. 
    I've got a Fell Marine MOB

Pura Vida!
  • qotsaautopilotqotsaautopilot Posts: 51 Greenhorn
    The thing about the lanyard or even wireless kill switches is that even if the boat stops being powered by the motor it’s still got some momentum and then wind and current.  The chances of you catching it after realizing you’re in the water are pretty much nil.  Think Tom Hanks and his raft when jumped off to save Wilson.
  • JonesBroJonesBro Posts: 7 Greenhorn
    That video was amazing...I never seen such a cheap person in my life. Seriously... worrying about which PDF to throw! Risking his boat and crew to get his pdf  back was better. Astonished. I give him credit. He did step up and at least do something to help. But man going on his boat must be a blast..
  • qotsaautopilotqotsaautopilot Posts: 51 Greenhorn
    Shoeless said:
    "These are expensive, but I don't want to loose my jackets guys to these guys. I really don't"

"That's not cheap those are expensive"

Are you **** kidding me?  In a life and death situation, Eric is more concerned with the cost of a lifejacket.  I'm sorry, but that's absolutely insane.

Always wear some type of lanyard system.  

I was thinking the same thing.  That’s what they are for.  You don’t buy the expensive safety gear for it to look pretty.  You buy it to use it if you have to.  Now is the time, so use it.

I applaud them for doing something.  That far outweighs the life jacket comments.  Thank you sir.

I don’t think these people in the water are idiots as this could happen to anyone.  They were lucky they were inshore with other boats.
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 8,168 Admiral
    I think you guys are reading way too much into a passing comment in the moment, they were sitting there trying to figure out what the best course of action was.   And the guys were treading water, and there were other boats there just watching not doing anything, do they bear the same criticism he does for saying "grab that life jacket, not that one"?  He's still putting himself, his boat, and the people on it at risk by even trying to help and he did throw a couple of PFDs to those guys so debating which ones he threw is academic, point is he did throw them.   

If there is no video, and all you hear is that a boat stopped to help a couple of guys who were stuck treading water by their own boat with an open throttle you would all approve, but you see the video and have to dissect every little gesture and break it down to try and find fault with someone who did the right thing in a bad situation.    

If i'm in the water i'm saying "throw the cheap ones, throw the expensive ones, I don't give a flying **** just help a guy out".   and would hope I wouldn't be judged because a bad thing happened to me that I may or may not have a plausible explanation for.   
    People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.
  • ShoelessShoeless Posts: 2,092 Captain
    We’re not “reading into it” too much, it’s just blantly clear what was going on.  I didn’t say I don’t appreciate them trying to administer some type of help, I simply said his concern was about loosing his expensive life jackets on these guys.  Then once the guys got out of the circling boat, the concern shifted to recovering the lifejackets that were thrown and not the well-being of the rescued boaters. 
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • conchydongconchydong Pompano BeachPosts: 3,538 Captain
    Another lesson. Everyone on your boat, even paying customers if you are a captain, should know where the throwable (Type IV) PFDs are located  as well as the type I or IIs and the IVs should be easier to access than what I saw. Glad the outcome was OK.

“Everyone behaves badly--given the chance.”
    ― Ernest Hemingway

• FrydaddyFrydaddy Boynton BeachPosts: 368 Deckhand
    Grate job on helping out!!!!!!!! Glad u were there to help out
    edited June 26 #24
    I have always made my kids wear PFD's when the boat was under power.  One day they looked at me and said Dad, why don't you wear one too? I didn't have a good answer. That was the last day I didn't wear a PFD. 
  • Tori'S ToyTori'S Toy Posts: 264 Deckhand
    The thing about the lanyard or even wireless kill switches is that even if the boat stops being powered by the motor it’s still got some momentum and then wind and current.  The chances of you catching it after realizing you’re in the water are pretty much nil.
    At least it won't be in West End or worse, running ashore/hitting another boat.
    attachment.php?attachmentid=230307&d=1483582365
  • Osprey45Osprey45 FT Pierce/ Boonton Twp NJPosts: 990 Officer
    HMMMM wonder why Eric does not post on here anymore
    It doesn't seem like anyone posts in here anymore.
  • CoastalCatchCoastalCatch Posts: 292 Deckhand
    FishNfool said:
    It doesn't seem like anyone posts in here anymore.
    What am I "chopped liver"..?! 

'The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it.' ~ George Orwell

• johnalkijohnalki Posts: 499 Deckhand
    my auto tether works great all the time because the option of hardwiring it to 12 volts makes a big difference than aa batteries.
    Glad to see Eric and crew made and effort to jump in to a very dangerous situation of a run-a-way boat that could have tweaked bottom and changed direction at any moment.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file