Yankeetown spoil banks cut through?

Anyone know if the cut through in the spoil banks is still navigable? Last time I was near there it looked like waves were breaking on sand all the way across the pass but I didn't try to get close for a good look.

If it's still open, how much farther is it to the scallop areas off Homosassa to put in at Yankeetown and avoid the insanity in CR? Is it worth the extra "windshield time"?  Thanks for any info!

Replies

• Ire of AnguillaIre of Anguilla Posts: 11 Greenhorn
    Pay the $10.00 to launch at Riverhaven Marina. Minimal traffic and worth no stress at days end. You can get your scallops cleaned across the way at McRae s. The Homosassa can be tricky to navigate hence the infamous Million Dollar Rock......
  • 4WARD4WARD Cross Creek,FLPosts: 814 Officer
    CR and Homosassa scallop grounds are usually merged at some point.
    Running around the spoils and tucking in on the north end of the gaggle isn't going to take much longer without the cut.
    Homosassa is the LAST place I would launch, no offence
    "I hate graveyards and old pawn shops
    For they always bring me tears
    I can't forgive the way they rob me
    Of my childhood souvenirs"... John Prine
  • VertigoVertigo Yankeetown, FLPosts: 581 Officer
    Stay away from Yankeetown.  Parking is impossible, the ramp has holes, the current and the wind make launch and recovery almost impossible.  Thieves pounce on any car and trailer left at the ramp. The cut is silted over and impassible and the long way around is time-consuming and hazardous with rocks and reefs in abundance.  B)
  • VolFanVolFan Posts: 29 Greenhorn
    FYI, Riverhaven Marina will be increasing their ramp fee to $20 0n June 30th.
  • BillyBilly ChassahowitzkaPosts: 2,631 Captain
    VolFan said:
    FYI, Riverhaven Marina will be increasing their ramp fee to $20 0n June 30th.
    I guess the ten bucks wasn't enough for them to provide a less than decent ramp. The bridge will still be one way with a traffic light so there is that too. Then one has to go out of the Homosassa River with all the rest of the, well, less than experienced plus deal with the narrow channel. As mentioned...it isn't the best option.

Bill
    "And the ocean is howling for the things that might have been..."
  • Bud in FlaBud in Fla Posts: 40 Greenhorn
    I usually put in at Yankeetown Marina - to avoid the crew at the end of 40 and for the fresh water rinse. Last month it was still $5. Not a lot of parking, boat sheds are falling down but I'm not using them anyway.
    Guess I'll be getting to CR early unless someone has the numbers for the hazards in Homosassa. I've heard of the million dollar rock!
    Got a friend who's lived & fished there all his life and according to him, sooner or later you *will* loose your prop/foot or something else of value in the Homosassa River.
    Thanks for the info!
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 8,205 Admiral
    I think we're going to launch out of Bayport and head north again this year.  Seemed to work well last year. 
    People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.
  • mburke001 aka TripleBmburke001 aka TripleB Posts: 1,058 Officer
    If coming to Homosassa and traversing the river, there’s one thing you must do, stay within the channel markers. Also, if your Navionics chart etc shows a marker and you don’t see one, I suggest you stop and get your bearing. The buoy might have been dislodged. 
  • tankardtankard Posts: 6,374 Admiral
    Scallop season....is it worth it?? Meh...
  • mburke001 aka TripleBmburke001 aka TripleB Posts: 1,058 Officer
    Homosassa is a nice place, I think it’s worth it. 
  • DOCKSIDEDOCKSIDE Posts: 1,710 Captain
    To the OP. No is the answer.
    somewhere south of disorder and on earth... mostly .
    ..............................................................................
    IBEW LU 433
  • Bud in FlaBud in Fla Posts: 40 Greenhorn
    I think we're going to launch out of Bayport and head north again this year.  Seemed to work well last year. 
    They have a good landing there with enough parking? I didn't see a landing marked on MapQuest. How hard is it to find?

We drove up to Steinhatchee to check it out before taking a boat there last year.....we found out there isn't much parking there.  The town of Dunnellon has more parking area for the Withlacoochee River than Steinhatchee has for the Gulf.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file