Where to get Goliath Grouper near Cape Coral?

Hello, 

In two weeks I will be staying in Cape Coral for a week. I've always wanted to try for a goliath grouper, and I was wondering if anybody knew of any spots where I could get one. Preferably something like a dock or marina - since we won't have a boat, and I'd like to get in the water with the fish for a picture.
Feel free to PM if you don't mind sharing a spot but don't want to post it online. 

Thanks
Drew

Replies

• Westwall01Westwall01 Posts: 4,626 Captain
    Matlacha Bridge
  • kangadrewkangadrew Posts: 15 Greenhorn
    Westwall01 said:
    Matlacha Bridge
    Thank you for the help - I'll be sure to check it out. 

Do you know, is there anywhere in Cape Coral to try for a land-based permit or cobia?

Drew
    Not for Permit, not in this area, but the Matlacha Bridge was holding some Cobia last month and the Cape Coral Pier had then earlier in the spring.
    Gotcha - maybe I'll try for a cobia while I'm down. 

As far as the Goliath though - would I need any kind of mono leader, or could I tie a hook straight to a 1/2" boat rope for a handline? Not sure how leader shy they tend to be. 

Drew
  • jmac7469jmac7469 Posts: 70 Greenhorn
    We use a few feet of 200-400 depending on how big they are.
    Use a rod on the bridge if you go. Using rope to hand line will only cause problems with all the foot traffic on that bridge.
    Are there any other spots that might have goliaths with less foot traffic? I specifically want to try handlining them. 
    Drew
  • ScoutboatScoutboat Posts: 1,720 Captain
    The old phosphate dock near Boca Grande Pass.

Except that you can't walk out on the old dock cause there are no planks left

• ScoutboatScoutboat Posts: 1,720 Captain

Except that you can't walk out on the old dock cause there are no planks left

Agreed, but the guy seems to want to fish with his feet on dry land.  Those old docks are close enough to fish from shore.
    Not realistic for hand lining like he wants to do

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file