Another Best Cooler Thread! I Found It!

2»

Replies

• Conchy CritterConchy Critter Posts: 996 Officer
    I don’t plan on keeping beer or fish in a cooler for more than a few hours anyway!
    I have kept fish in a cooler with ice overnight, much easier to clean when they're a little more firm.  
    Same I always clean my fish late in the day when the sun starts to go down or the next morning if I am not going out again.  I put ice in the cooler Thursday or Friday night and use the cooler/ice all weekend. 
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 7,971 Admiral
    I don’t plan on keeping beer or fish in a cooler for more than a few hours anyway!
    I have kept fish in a cooler with ice overnight, much easier to clean when they're a little more firm.  
    Same I always clean my fish late in the day when the sun starts to go down or the next morning if I am not going out again.  I put ice in the cooler Thursday or Friday night and use the cooler/ice all weekend. 
    One of the things I love about my house, it faces the west, so the back yard is shaded after about 2pm during the summer months.    Usually i'll get home from St Pete or wherever I fished that day around 2, put the cooler in the back yard, wash the boat/equipment, take it back to the storage facility, come home, jump in the pool and drink beer the rest of the afternoon then clean the fish for dinner that night or the next day if i went out on a Saturday (rare it seems like I can only ever get out on Sundays).   

This year, no hunting so I plan to get out and troll for Grouper this fall finally.   
    People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.
  • wahoowacker01wahoowacker01 Posts: 1,267 Officer
    The best ice chest is the one you find on the side of the road, unless of course it’s one of those fighting ice chests like Cyclist found.
  • cadmancadman Home of the Gators Posts: 23,689 AG
    Speaking of coolers, anyone want to buy a couple of giant Igloos cheap. I have 2 I need to sell. I think they are 150 quart. About 10 years old. Will let them go real cheap. I don't have any use for that size any longer. Been sitting up for years. 

Mini Mart Magnate

• AC ManAC Man Posts: 3,658 Captain
    Mini Mart Magnate

I have a couple of those big old ones as well. Use them for house parties, although family is getting smaller and less parties. Cant beat um.
    One of the things I love about my house, it faces the west, so the back yard is shaded after about 2pm during the summer months.    Usually i'll get home from St Pete or wherever I fished that day around 2, put the cooler in the back yard, wash the boat/equipment, take it back to the storage facility, come home, jump in the pool and drink beer the rest of the afternoon then clean the fish for dinner that night or the next day if i went out on a Saturday (rare it seems like I can only ever get out on Sundays).   

We have a cleaning station at the end of our dock. I wait until the sun starts to set and the afternoon sea breezes kicks up. Grab a couple beers, take time cleaning the fish and enjoy the view and breeze. 

We have a cleaning station at the end of our dock. I wait until the sun starts to set and the afternoon sea breezes kicks up. Grab a couple beers, take time cleaning the fish and enjoy the view and breeze. 
  • AC ManAC Man Posts: 3,658 Captain
    When you fish 75 miles off shore in the big bend  (or use to) for grouper. It was a 3 day event. One day to get ready, one day to fish, and one to clean the fish and wash the boat. Never cleaned fish till the next day. 400 lbs of ice kept them firm and fresh. 

The pics of white blanched grouper grosses me out.
  • GardawgGardawg Posts: 7,091 Admiral
    Oh who needs to spend that much money …

“Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves.

Heres Tom with the Weather.”
  • dave44dave44 Posts: 6,776 Admiral
    Take the coils, compressor out, release all that icky old R12 and set it free and bam, a semi cool cooler.
  • ferris1248ferris1248 Posts: 1,059 Moderator
    That's pretty cool. Recycling at it's finest.
    "That which is hateful to you, do not do to your fellow. That is the whole of the law. The rest is commentary."

Rabbi Hillel (c20 BCE)
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 7,971 Admiral
    I'm building something similar out of an old coleman cooler that has cracked and warped.  Just putting a veneer of pallet wood on the outside, putting it on a wooden frame and adding a hose for drainage.   It's just an outdoor patio cooler now that will have a weathered look to it due to the pallets. 
    People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.
    I want to share a tidbit with y’all. There is a 2 part, closed cell foam you can buy, made for posts, mailboxes and whatever. Although it works great, especially in the sand for this purpose, if you figure out the reaction it works pretty well for homemade coolers.
       It’s alsoused on a few boats now.
      Good luck.
  • surfmansurfman WC FLPosts: 3,857 Captain
    I saw a commercial fisherman once that had a big old refrigerator in his Carolina skiff, hey it worked for him.
    Tight Lines, Steve
    My posts are my opinion only.
  • Big BatteryBig Battery Posts: 18,929 AG
    dave44 said:
    I want to share a tidbit with y’all. There is a 2 part, closed cell foam you can buy, made for posts, mailboxes and whatever. Although it works great, especially in the sand for this purpose, if you figure out the reaction it works pretty well for homemade coolers.
       It’s alsoused on a few boats now.
      Good luck.

This stuff?
    I was thinking “secure set”.
  • Cane PoleCane Pole Stuart, FLAPosts: 9,601 Admiral
    I have six or so old cheap coolers of various sizes in my garage that I barely ever use, but for some reason I always love to read threads about coolers.

And, I have 7 or 8 large coolers to keep all my kegs cold...well semi cold...a couple of them are on their last leg.
    Live music 7 nights a week: http://www.terrafermata.com/_events
2»

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file