Poor sportsmen

CoastalCatchCoastalCatch Posts: 243 Deckhand
This is in support of bluewateryak13 post on 6.11.18 ..check out his video!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=26&v=eQpY2D2XQK4

I fished offshore in kayaks before getting my 17' Mckee Craft and still get bullied by the bigger boats who feel I need to get out of their way irrespective of circumstances...and it's not just charters! 

Sometimes I feel like I'm back in India touring on my little motorbike all the while being disregarded and disrespected by anything bigger! Have we become so competitive and uncivilized all in the name of 'sport'...?!  

Evidently there is a growing number of 'poor sports' out there contributing our culture's drift away from its moorings.....

'The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it.' ~ George Orwell

Replies

• MakoLogicMakoLogic Posts: 595 Officer
    I had a big blue sportfisher doing the same to me 3 weekend in a row out of Jupiter last year.  I won't name names but it parks at Harborside lol.  Someone would catch a fish and he'd run straight at you, over your lines, then throw his hands in the air like you are doing something wrong.  I think the thin air up there in the tower makes them a little crazy and power trippy.
    Fisherman, outdoors enthusiast, and software geek (not necessarily in that order, depending on the day)
    www.makologic.com
    patrick@makologic.com

Formerly TxToFl...
  • watergatorwatergator Fort Pierce Posts: 21 Greenhorn
    MakoLogic said:
    I had a big blue sportfisher doing the same to me 3 weekend in a row out of Jupiter last year.  I won't name names but it parks at Harborside lol.  Someone would catch a fish and he'd run straight at you, over your lines, then throw his hands in the air like you are doing something wrong.  I think the thin air up there in the tower makes them a little crazy and power trippy.
    I just moved down from the panhandle and I had a guy do this to me while snapper fishing from my kayak. Accused me of poaching his spot (I was there first and it was preloaded on my navionics chip) and then fished way too close to me. He ran over my flatline and i just opened the bail until he had 300 yards of 60lb braid wrapped around his prop. It might have cost me $30 but it felt pretty good. 
  • FrydaddyFrydaddy Boynton BeachPosts: 355 Deckhand
    I get people that anchor up 100ft right behind me after I have been chuming for an hr  or more yellow tailing. Let's just say it doesn't go well
  • justintimejustintime Posts: 16 Greenhorn
    This is why I’m a weekday warrior.. weekends are too busy anymore.. 
  • OwlseyOwlsey Posts: 291 Deckhand
    Glad you got it on video. Classless.
  • stc1993stc1993 Albany, GA Carrabelle, FLPosts: 4,475 Captain
    I had the same boat mine was an '87 They are some good boats.
  • Flight RiskFlight Risk Posts: 2,370 Captain
    That video amazes me.
    Frankly, I can't see Yaks very well and am afraid of running one over. Saw 2 or 3 of them off Boynton today. I respect their right to inhabit the Ocean same as me. I always give them plenty of space as well. I just wish these guys would make themselves more visible that's all...
    This Yakker certainly has a good gripe. Totally uncalled for.  
    Reminds me of the Commercial Kingfish buggers. Most are decent guys, but, I've run into my share of Azzholes too...

Pura Vida!
  • brianbbrianb Posts: 2,259 Captain
    That video amazes me.
    Frankly, I can't see Yaks very well and am afraid of running one over. Saw 2 or 3 of them off Boynton today. I respect their right to inhabit the Ocean same as me. I always give them plenty of space as well. I just wish these guys would make themselves more visible that's all...
    This Yakker certainly has a good gripe. Totally uncalled for.  
    Reminds me of the Commercial Kingfish buggers. Most are decent guys, but, I've run into my share of Azzholes too...
    The main guy out of BBI on a yak is Brian Nelli of Pushin' Water Kayak Charters. He's top notch and pretty much outfishes me in a boat regularly. From reading your other post today Flight, he outfished us both today with a 32lb king.  :(:neutral:
  • Beer moneyBeer money Posts: 74 Greenhorn
    I 100% agree with flight risk. Add a little swell to the mix and they are tough to see..maybe add a flag like an airboat or something. I had a pretty close call a few months back and it scared the crap out of me. I always wondered how people seemed to not see me when I was fishing off my 15 ft Key West but now I have a bigger boat and see how they blend in. Be careful out there fellows and respect everyone has a right to the water
  • CoastalCatchCoastalCatch Posts: 243 Deckhand
    edited June 13 #11
    People, if you can avoid running over loggerhead turtles and you can spot floating objects that hold mahi and triple tails, then kayaks shouldn't be a problem as neither of the aforementioned usually fly flags and wear bright clothing!  B)

'The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it.' ~ George Orwell

• Flight RiskFlight Risk Posts: 2,370 Captain
    brianb said:
    The main guy out of BBI on a yak is Brian Nelli of Pushin' Water Kayak Charters. He's top notch and pretty much outfishes me in a boat regularly. From reading your other post today Flight, he outfished us both today with a 32lb king.  :(:neutral:
    :)  No Doubt, those guys do well out there. I'm all for what they do - Yakking, is just not for me. Conchy Critter mentioned the Dolphin bite was ON after 5:00 PM out of BBI. Talk about missing the bite...

Pura Vida!
  • GarysmoGarysmo Posts: 300 Deckhand
    Unbelievable....kayak or boat what they did is completely wrong.  As I tell more and more people.....the more people I meet the more I love my dog!!!
  • andrewthe1andrewthe1 Posts: 509 Officer
    what are they fishing for?
    we need more internet money
  • K-DawgK-Dawg Posts: 144 Deckhand
    Rebuttal by Lady Pamela

• pbsnookerpbsnooker Posts: 881 Officer
    Love it when you here both sides of the story. I tend to agree with the Capt. not a problem with several boats to hit a wreck at the same time, if everyone knows what there doing. 1st on a wreck does not stake claim to it. 
  • FrydaddyFrydaddy Boynton BeachPosts: 355 Deckhand
    I agree. It's one thing if you're on a certain spot on the reef but when you're on a wreck everybody takes their turn
  • Beer moneyBeer money Posts: 74 Greenhorn
    Agree with the captain of the Lady Pamela 100% as stated in my post above. That picture shown above is an anomaly. Let’s be honest about it, these guys are usually alone without the bright clothes or flags. Again I support anyone getting out there to fish but remember none of us own the ocean or a certain spot. We’ve all been on those wrecks where it’s 5 deep and we can still manage to catch fish. Go fishing and be safe fellows

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file