Redfish Help- FP

watergatorwatergator Fort Pierce Posts: 21 Greenhorn
I recently moved down here from Lower Alabama in January and I have been getting out a few times a week on my kayak in the intracoastal around Fort Pierce . I'm doing pretty well on big trout and under slot snook, but I havent been able to find any of my true love, the redfish. Ive been throwing a variety of topwaters (spooks having the most success), grubs, and gulps and the areas that I have been in look decent for reds also (some grass, lots of mullet, and Im seeing shrimp at night with my headlamp). What are some things that I should look for and/or change to try and get on some redfish?

Thanks for the help and if any one is getting out and doesn't mind me tagging along I would greatly appreciate it. 

Replies

• BarrellBarrell Posts: 991 Officer
    There is a guide named Y  B NORMAL that is a redfish expert. Maybe hire him for half day and learn his secrets.
  • GarysmoGarysmo Posts: 300 Deckhand
    I have gotten some redfish on DOA paddle tails.  I like to throw them up under the mangroves in shallow water.  I will say that my redfish catch is down to in my all the way back to Sept.  The drop off in the fall was due to the storms and poor water quality.  I didn't fish red too much in the winter and early spring but friends told me it was down still.  I usually fish near south of round island, east side so maybe they a different area.  Good luck.  One last thing, you could try some live mullets up under the mangroves that works well.
  • LurchyLurchy Posts: 363 Deckhand
    Cover some ground with gold spoon.  If you know they are in the area, ladyfish chunks
  • watergatorwatergator Fort Pierce Posts: 21 Greenhorn
    Garysmo said:
    I have gotten some redfish on DOA paddle tails.  I like to throw them up under the mangroves in shallow water.  I will say that my redfish catch is down to in my all the way back to Sept.  The drop off in the fall was due to the storms and poor water quality.  I didn't fish red too much in the winter and early spring but friends told me it was down still.  I usually fish near south of round island, east side so maybe they a different area.  Good luck.  One last thing, you could try some live mullets up under the mangroves that works well.
    That makes me feel a bit better that others arent having a whole lot of success on reds either right now. Ill keep chugging away and hopefully start to form some sort of a pattern. 
  • SnookMan772SnookMan772 Posts: 648 Officer
    I fish for them regularly, caught two on Sunday. I have become a little obsessed with them. They are around but a lot of people struggle with them. Keep at it and you will find them eventually. No secret spot, they are scattered but I do find more in shallow than out in 2-4ft of water if that helps at all.
  • OwlseyOwlsey Posts: 291 Deckhand
    Just keep fishing. You'll find them. They move. Searching is half the fun.
  • theUtheU The Orlando SewerPosts: 27 Greenhorn
    Good Luck you should have been here 20 years ago when you could target schools of Redfish around Walton Rd. and Bear Point. They are still around but only a dim flicker of what was once a viable population. Welcome to the Orlando Sewer!!
  • Crazy FingersCrazy Fingers Posts: 68 Greenhorn
    We don’t fish inshore too much anymore, but we have had a pretty noticeable decrease in redfish catches with the bad water quality and grass die offs of recent years.  And just when it seemed the grass was starting to come back, we have a monsoon of rain and the water is Black Death again.  Sucks. 
  • tarponhuntertarponhunter Posts: 289 Deckhand
    I'm also in the area for the summer and really want to catch a redfish, do you think I might be better off trying around Sebastian area vs. Ft. pierce?

• theUtheU The Orlando SewerPosts: 27 Greenhorn
    Sebastain
  • GarysmoGarysmo Posts: 300 Deckhand
    I'm also in the area for the summer and really want to catch a redfish, do you think I might be better off trying around Sebastian area vs. Ft. pierce?

I know people catch some big red fish near the Sebastian inlet
  • watergatorwatergator Fort Pierce Posts: 21 Greenhorn
    I have been down here a few times before and caught some monsters at sebastian inlet drifting live greenies and finger mullet through the inlet. 

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file