Topwater Leader?

JustinF_KTMJustinF_KTM Posts: 45 Greenhorn
Hey I’m from PA coming down to Florida next week. Up here when I use topwater for bass I just have straight braid. Is that ok down there or do I need a mono leader?
Thanks

Replies

• kellerclkellercl Posts: 1,351 Officer
    I do straight braid given the lure is out of the water.  But I'm far from a  expert.
  • JustinF_KTMJustinF_KTM Posts: 45 Greenhorn
    kellercl said:
    I do straight braid given the lure is out of the water.  But I'm far from a  expert.
    That’s what I’ve always figured along with the majority of bass fisherman but I talked to a guy on YouTube who said to use mono. 
  • DropTheHammerDropTheHammer East CoastPosts: 167 Deckhand
    There's nothing written in stone. It's A fish. It doesn't have A name or an address.
    What me and the fish have in common. We're both hungry and stupid. Let's take
    it from there and see what happens. Either way you're not wrong. You didn't catch
    A fish. Did you do anything wrong? Think about it. ;)
    Q: How do hockey players stay cool?
    A: By sitting next to the fans.
    http://www.floridasportsman.com/2018/04/30/poor-mans-paella/
  • saltybluegrasssaltybluegrass Posts: 35 Greenhorn
    OT - 
    edited June 10 #6
    my topwater leader 
  • GarysmoGarysmo Posts: 305 Deckhand
    I use a florocarbon leader for everything.  I mostly fish for red fish and snook in the mangroves so I like the leader.  However I do not fish a lot of top water when I do I just use the lesser that is there.
    Sorry for the typo...(lesser) leader
  • Diego_sosaaDiego_sosaa Posts: 16 Greenhorn
    Tie on a leader because braid has a tenancy to slip if its not digging into something. If you catch a fish big enough or try to get it out of structure the knot might slip speaking from heartbreak.
  • SaltygatorvetSaltygatorvet TallahasseePosts: 2,025 Captain
    I wouldn’t throw a tw plug without a leader 
    You should have been here yesterday
  • lemaymiamilemaymiami Posts: 2,831 Captain
    I know that in fresh water you can get by without a leader -but that’s not something we’d ever do along the coast and backcountry of the Everglades... any top water bait I hand my anglers will have short trace of fluorocarbon leader (18-24”) spliced to about three feet of doubled line.  30lb leader mostly -but 40lb for snook or small to medium tarpon...
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
    you last three posters only one gave a reason and that’s to give braid a substance to dig into. 
    What are your  reasons? 
  • backwatercolebackwatercole Posts: 21 Greenhorn
    Most braids are coated with a waxy substance.  Have you ever had an issue with putting braid on a reel and having it slip?  I always like put a few yards of mono backing on the reel to help it 'seat" while spooling the braid on.  This also applies to using a leader as if you tied directly to the smooth eye of the lure, the braid could easily pull if engaged with a bigger fish. 
    just to add my assumption was floro wasn’t as visible for spooky fish 
    I didn’t realize you were looking for a reason. You just asked if we used them. Reasons are less visible and more abrasion resistance 
  • kellerclkellercl Posts: 1,351 Officer
    So it sounds like it is fish specific.  I get a strong leader for tarpon.  But with trout and snook, seems like over kill.  Though I might try it anyway.  Can't hurt.  
    kellercl said:
    So it sounds like it is fish specific.  I get a strong leader for tarpon.  But with trout and snook, seems like over kill.  Though I might try it anyway.  Can't hurt.  
    Definitely not overkill for snook. Most would say it’s imperative. Probably not as important for trout 
  • Rich MRich M Posts: 923 Officer
    You don;t say what you are targeting.

I don't bass fish down here - if you're gonna bass fish, use what you use at home.

I use a 25# leader whether using 10# mono or 30# braid when fishing inshore saltwater.   Leaders are pretty much required.  After someone loses a couple of fish they put a leader on - it often happens when I have guests - they tell me they don't need a leader and then a decent fish breaks off, they get upset and start using a leader.
  • johnDjohnD Posts: 6,387 Admiral
    braid is not abrasion resistant ,period...buy you a spool of ande monofilament leader material ($5 in most tackle shops) and use that. 20 or 25 lb for reds and trout. 30 or 40 lb minimum for snook. tarpon , no less than 50 lb. fluorocarbon sinks , I wouldn't use that for topwater.

I didn’t realize you were looking for a reason. You just asked if we used them. Reasons are less visible and more abrasion resistance 
    X2.....
  • sandy1147sandy1147 Posts: 113 Deckhand
    If you're fishing fresh, you don't need a leader. I've been fishing freshwater for 40 years with no leader. Salt on the other hand, a leader is a good idea. It's less visible and much more resistant to the toothy saltwater creatures. Depends on what you're fishing for. 
  • Tgreg1Tgreg1 Posts: 21 Greenhorn
    Hi all. Always used floro leader but I have had some experts tell me mono leader for topwater. The only reason being it floats so the action is better. Braid and floro sink?
  • lemaymiamilemaymiami Posts: 2,831 Captain
    Yes, fluoro sinks - but not enough to significantly effect a topwater lure as long as you keep it short... Fluorocarbon leader material (note I'm very specifically not talking about lines labeled "fluorocarbon or son of fluorocarbon" fishing line -but the real thing - I use either Seaguar or Ande fluoro leader material... ) is advertised as being almost invisible - but that's not why I use it... I learned the hard way some years ago that fluoro is a bit more abrasion resistant than mono leader material (it has a bit harder surface...).  It also will easily straighten out for heavier leaders than mono which tends to want to stay in coils... All l ever need to do to completely straighten a fluoro leader is to attach the hook end to something solid (a cleat, a pad eye, etc) then pull it tight and hold it for a moment....  You just can't do that with mono - and if you're tossing lures at big tarpon and need an 80lb leader - that's kind of important for my anglers...

Since I've been a full time guide for some years now I actually get a hands on view of how gear actually performs day in and day out.  I will use mono as a backup but most days my leaders for casting purposes (or the leaders I make up myself for fly anglers) will have fluorocarbon elements when there's an advantage to be gained.  I'm still using mono for bottom fishing leaders though, since fluoro just isn't needed until we come back to big tarpon - with their very abrasive jaws (like 40 grit sand paper... ) the part of the leader the hook is attached to will always be fluoro...
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file