Red snapper flotilla June 12,2018

We assembled a three boat fleet to go digging for ARS.

Boat 1: Butch, Barb, Tom, Gail
Boat 2: Doc, Mark, Bill, Capt Louie
Boat 3: Jack, Terry, Rick

We left the dock around seven, picked up our pinfish traps out in the bay and headed west. The seas were 1 to 2 foot rollers from the west that gave us some bumps on the way out, but not to bad. When we got to 50' Jack's boat stopped to troll some bait schools that were getting busted by kings, they hooked up and landed 3. Doc and I were consumed with red snapper lust and left Jack to catch up with us later at the agreed spot. We stopped at our first spot in 60 and put down some sardines and small pins. After 40 minutes we had only one ARS. Jack caught up with us and we decided to head further west while Doc headed north. On the way out deeper we ran into a big shrimper anchored up and trolled it for possible BFT and cobia but found none. Ran on to a ledge in 75' and found snapper heaven. We caught our 4 person limit in 20 minutes  and finished about the time Jack showed up and got their limit in short order. Doc had radioed us to invite us over to the spot where his boat had limited out but we were already flush with snapper by then. We had lunch while watching a dolphin show, then decided to head homeward and stop in promising areas to troll grouper.  We had a couple big hookups that came loose and only boated one 23.5" gag that went back to grow some more. It was a long run but a fun and productive day. The run home was easy with flat seas, back at the dock by 4:30.

It wasLong run but fun and productive day. 

Replies

• m9000m9000 Posts: 1,976 Captain
    Nice report.  Tuesday had much better weather/lower winds  than Monday.
  • mburke001 aka TripleBmburke001 aka TripleB Posts: 1,020 Officer
    👍
  • WindsplitterWindsplitter Posts: 609 Officer
    Looks like a great time was had by all. Wish I could have been there for that.
  • mburke001 aka TripleBmburke001 aka TripleB Posts: 1,020 Officer
    Looks like a great time was had by all. Wish I could have been there for that.

As I told Tom while at MacRaes, I'm feeling better and looking forward going out next week. It'll be the first time target ARS, s/b interesting. 
  • barhopper51barhopper51 Posts: 515 Officer
    Great job ladies and gentlemen!
  • Ruff OneRuff One HomosassaPosts: 1,818 Captain
    Excellent trip! I loved it, a captain that likes to troll as much as I do. Snapper fillets are headed to the farm for a deep fryed Cuban snapper dinner for my neighbors. They are waiting at the border!! Thanks Butch and Barb, you were great host.
    Walk of doom

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • LMKLMK Posts: 531 Officer
    Great report & day!!!!
  • capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 9,294 Moderator
    Was a good day. I enjoyed a change of scenery and some different colors from my normal fishing.
    Good post Butch ! 
    "You'll get your weather"
  • SlackerSlacker Posts: 1,376 Officer
    Who would have thought you would catch a limit of red snapper, and no keeper grouper.
  • Rick1-2Rick1-2 HorseshoePosts: 818 Officer
     good job, 

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file