long shiner casting help

Well, if you’ve read/seen my posts, you see a natural progression into researching what my home pond has. i have no idea of depth. There’s the chain-like fern plants next to the bank or just sand. I want to cast out a ways and lost a few shiners with stationary bobber attached. 
Can i just run a bobber stop up 10-15 ft and let the shiner run or do i need any more terminal tackle and if so what? 
I’m using spinning reel w 10 braid 15 lb floro
thanks 

Replies

• DrKDrK Posts: 230 Deckhand
    How about not having a bobber? Just cast it to the middle and slowly drag it back in so it does not go into the weeds. Reel in and repeat.
  • capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 9,294 Moderator
    You have to "lob" a shiner. The bobber stop thing is ok but if you hook it near the tail you can sometimes steer it with a small bobber about 2' up the line by pulling a little. It will generally swim away from the tension.
    Nothing wrong with it being close to the shore line weeds. Especially early and late.
    "You'll get your weather"
  • no slackno slack Posts: 266 Deckhand
    Caught some really big fish on rodman by casting a freeline shiner, no weight or float and setting the pole down.  I thought he would get Tangled in the hydrilla but those fish would find him.  The line would start getting tight and I would just feed some slack before setting the hook.  
  • saltybluegrasssaltybluegrass Posts: 35 Greenhorn
    any one use circle hooks or do bass not work well without setting a hook? 
  • capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 9,294 Moderator
    I'm sure they work fine. I've never used them on bass..
    "You'll get your weather"
  • DropTheHammerDropTheHammer East CoastPosts: 167 Deckhand
    Use your imagination. There are A lot of different variations.

Q: How do hockey players stay cool?
    A: By sitting next to the fans.
    http://www.floridasportsman.com/2018/04/30/poor-mans-paella/

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file